"If people can't use their smartphones, they don't dance"

At a 2005 show Wilco did in Tampa, Jeff grabbed a girl's cellphone and began conversing with the person she was talking to - her mother. I remember that he had to explain to the mother who he was ("uh, this is Jeff, I'm the singer in the band.") He also told this girl's mom that , "No she didn't look too drunk." All of this took place in the middle of the band playing Kingpin. I think he also told the girl after the song had ended and he had given the phone back that "Wow, your mom was really mad at me." This was hysterical and personally I think Jeff ought to start grabbing more phones and reading to the audience what they were texting.

I was there. Hilarious. But seriously. Stay off your phones people. Ever heard of respect?

I think it's gross when people play concert police. I've seen pairs of people at shows not enjoying the show because they are shaking their heads, pointing at, and discussing somone with a phone raised somewhere in front. The person with the phone is usually oblivous to the disdain and having a great time. Personally, I'm more distracted by the agitation of the observers.

I don't use a phone at concerts. I don't really care if other people do. Jeff doesn't pay me to. I'm not lame enough to think he might befriend me because I defend his sensibilities or am somehow closer to the band for forwarding their policies. I do think those who go in heavy for the policing are deluded in this way. Regardless, they are like the kid in the kindergarten class who thinks they're the teacher, which is just annoying. It's funny when Jeff rants about it, not so cute coming from nobody I know.

I like to dance and I've gotten looks for this. I don't care. I like to talk occasionally because I'm there with people who like Wilco and we like to say "Did you see that?" or "They're playing it!" or "Do you want a beer?". Good luck getting me not to. I'm there for the experience and I'm not going to pretend I'm a musical Sherlock Holmes able to walk out examining every note played. If you don't want to deal with others, sit home and listen to a record or snatch up the live recording later.

It's a generational thing. Some people have been taught and coddled to the 'fact' that they are the stars in their own movie; therefore, nothing else matters except their enjoyment.

It's a generational thing. Some people have been taught and coddled to the 'fact' that they are the stars in their own movie; therefore, nothing else matters except their enjoyment.

this isn't about any particular individual's enjoyment, it is about concertgoers as a whole and maintaining an authentic enjoyable music experience for all. also, if it is distracting to the musicians, it is most certainly an issue.

• 2 months later...

There might be a better thread but this was the first topic-related one that I found.

From NPR's All Songs Considered blog: "Put Down the Camera and Watch the Show - Really?" http://www.npr.org/b...the-show-really

I must say that I expected the opposite from Bob Boilen.

she uses twitter like aging hollywood stars use plastic sugery.

That is really, really witty.

I read this, smiled, and thought about your implication of this statment and said to myself "that is pretty damn witty".

not sure if you are being facetious or not, but i'll take you at face value. thanks :D

Absolutely serious.