Concert Set-lists

I'm not 100% sure about Wilco, but I've gotten setlists from a wide variety of bands (and had them signed too!) They're probably my favorite concert memorabilia that you don't have to pay for (other than recordings). Usually band members will either hand them out or crumple them up and throw them into the crowd. The rest you can usually get from techs as they pack up. The bigger the show the harder to get one though.

I always have the most luck getting them from the sound/lighting world. I'm sure if you ask pre-show they'll save it for you!

I've had a lot of success getting setlists (although I've never tried to get them signed). In my experience your best bet is to stand by the sound/lighting desk during the show so that as soon as its over you can ask for a setlist. There are more of them onstage, but there are also going to be more people there (usually more hardcore fans too) and you'll have to wait till the roadies come on until you can get one. If you want to increase your chances ask the sound/light person before the show if you can have the setlist. I don't usually bother doing this, but I have missed out a couple of times because others have. You just have to make sure that you are standing nearby at the end of the show, because if other people start asking for it they won't usually hold it for you.

For seated shows your chances are affected by where you are seated. I usually try to hurry to the sound/light person and see if they still have one, but for arenas this might not even be possible (which means you have a pretty good chance of getting a setlist at a club show, but might have no chance at an arena show).

The final thing worth mentioning is that the city and band make a big difference. Some cities have lots of people who are into getting setlists and others won't have any. Also, some bands will tell the crew not to hand out setlists (Bob Dylan is pretty famous for insisting setlists aren't given to fans). Not much you can do about either, but worthwhile keeping in mind.

www.setlist.fm

print 'em out at your leisure.

Not quite the same thing, although its a good second-best. For one, with the actual setlist you get to see if anything was added or removed. Plus, most of the time the setlists from setlist.fm have been put there by whoever grabbed the setlist at teh show.

What happens to the set list after the show? I have always wanted to have one signed (I highly doubt it's possible, but hey, I can dream), and am curious if Jeff hands them out or takes them with him or...

Bob

You're more than welcome to one of my crappily hand-scrawled ones next show we attend together... ;)

I have never been one to get set-lists, but I did ask a Old Town of Folk Music worker if I could grab the Justin Roberts' set list and he said sure.

Justin was signing stuff after the show, so I brought my 2 1/2 old son up to him and had him sign the set list - so my kid is on his way....

I did happen to see Levon Helm's set list (who performed the night before) on the stage, too. It was near the keyboards/trumpet player stand, I am guessing someone gave it to him, so I did not grab it.