Adele is the number #6 selling UK album of all time...really???

http://www.nme.com/news/adele/62719

Adele just passed DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!!!

Adele may have talent but she annoys me. I work in an office where the pump light-fm type music all day. If I hear Someone Like You or Rolling in the Deep one more time I am going to scream! I really despise the high part in Someone Like You ..she sounds like a chipmunk! Sorry for my rant.

Happy Spring!

I have not heard the kind of crossover appeal that Adele has in... forever. She is the only artist that I can think of that I hear played simultaneously on both the teenie-bopper pop station (B96 in Chicago) AND the adult alternative station (WXRT). So, while at first glance, it does seem surprising, upon further consideration, I can totally see it.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I do listen to B96 when my 10-year-old son is in the car.

what annoys me is that she doesn't strike me as a true artist....sure, she has a good voice, but she probably has a consortium of people who write lyrics (albeit with corny, hallmark card sentiments), arrange the songs, etc. she's the younger, hipper, version of Susan Boyle...

That Rolling in the Deep song will sell a lot of karaoke machines....

what annoys me is that she doesn't strike me as a true artist....sure, she has a good voice, but she probably has a consortium of people who write lyrics (albeit with corny, hallmark card sentiments), arrange the songs, etc. she's the younger, hipper, version of Susan Boyle...

For what it's worth she's written/co-written all the songs on her 2 records. She seems to be the real deal.

My girlfriend is a huge fan of hers so I've heard the last record quite a bit. There's some solid songs on there for sure, but taken as a whole it doesn't quite do it for me. I like my soul a bit more gritty and my pop a bit more adventurous. She sorta runs it down the middle of those genres so I can see why she's been such a crossover success.

Considering the fact that albums no longer actually sell in any meaningful numbers this is pretty impressive. I love that she just gets up there and sings with no gimmicks. She has an amazing voice and it sounds like she has a significant role in writing the songs. What's not to like?

Considering the fact that albums no longer actually sell in any meaningful numbers this is pretty impressive. I love that she just gets up there and sings with no gimmicks. She has an amazing voice and it sounds like she has a significant role in writing the songs. What's not to like?

I sometimes get sick of my favorite songs and bands from listening too much. Try listening to a song you don't like 4 times a day then you will see what is not to like. I am like in a perpetual dentist office here and it is my idea of torture...

I am not a fan, but you are right. She has done it the old fashioned way, no gimmicks, just straight ahead vocals and songs. We can dis mainstream music all we want here, but ultimately this is what most folks want and clearly the market has spoken. It took decades for even Pink Floyd to sell all those copies of Dark Side. Frankly if I don't hear Dark Side again that is fine too.

LouieB

... Frankly if I don't hear Dark Side again that is fine too.

LouieB

I second that motion. Maybe it's just us 50+ year olds. But that album is done and over for me due to a college roommate who played it ad nauseum. Literally.

And as for Adele, I have never heard anything by her.

I second that motion. Maybe it's just us 50+ year olds. But that album is done and over for me due to a college roommate who played it ad nauseum. Literally.

And as for Adele, I have never heard anything by her.

If you listen to WXRT (and I know that you do), then yes you have:

No, I don't listen to XRT because I don't live in its broadcast area for regular radio. I don't have FM radio or Sirius or whatever it's called now. I have no good radio stations in my community, and when I'm in my car I listen to my CDs that I buy.

I can't stand the commercials. I haven't listened to corporate radio since the early 1980s or whenever it became popular to record your vinyl onto cassettes. So in my car, I turned off the radio forever.

I don't listen to anything on my computer because it sounds bad. Unless I have a headset on, which I do all day for my job, so that's enough headphone time.

I do 90% of my listening in my car. Life is good!

I do win tickets from XRT online though. :) That doesn't mean I listen to them.

Yea, XRT hits Adele pretty hard. But everyone hits her hard. Frankly before I watched the Grammys this year I had not even really been tuned into her that heavily. I thought that song was maybe by TC Tungstill or whatever the hell her name was who had that horse and the cherry tree song that they played ad nauseum a few years back. Alot of these acts have very little to distinguish themselves at this point. But after seeing her I was encouraged that she didn't seem to be the same kind of cookie cutter type pop act. Then again I would not rush out and buy her album either.

LouieB

talented singer writes catchy songs that appeal to most every market there is.

why are people so continually shocked that she sells records?

Fersure.

Alot of folks here are entrenched in the indie rock ghetto, thinking that's that kind of stuff everyone is listening to, but it isn't. if some of the groups we talk about here sell even 10,000 that's huge. It still shocks me that so many people don't even know who Wilco is, much less try and explain who some of these other acts we talk about. Pitchfork doesn't rule most people's lives.

LouieB

I don't particularly care for her music, but I appreciate that she seems genuine and has a good voice.

Her album sales are shocking because so few people pay for music these days... she obviously hits the right demographic of people still willing to pay for stuff.

Still not surprised about people buying music. Susan Boyle sold the shit out of her album (s) and they were just crap. But it was the kind of crap alot of folks can relate to; familiar songs, melody, orchestration, etc. Adele is about the same way with a touch more originality. He songs sound like what you have heard before, but it sounds just enough new that it has interest. I gotta be honest, there is so much indie rock that just has little to catch people's attention other than cache. That works for the hipster community, but not much beyond the walls of Portlandia. I am not surprised that the Black Keys finally broke out; they play the same sort of hard rock/blues based material that most people have enjoyed for years. On the other hand Bon Iver better start a bank account because his shelf life is limited. (And don't get me started about the Dirty Projectors....these folks wouldn't know an actual song if it came up and slapped them in the face...)

LouieB

I hadn't heard a single song of hers until I was asked to play Rolling In the Deep in a band last fall. Listened to a bunch of her stuff over the last few months and honestly did not really enjoy it that much at all. She has a good voice, but the music itself just strikes me as not that strong or memorable.

This is definitely a surprise to me.

For what it's worth she's written/co-written all the songs on her 2 records. She seems to be the real deal.

My girlfriend is a huge fan of hers so I've heard the last record quite a bit. There's some solid songs on there for sure, but taken as a whole it doesn't quite do it for me. I like my soul a bit more gritty and my pop a bit more adventurous. She sorta runs it down the middle of those genres so I can see why she's been such a crossover success.

Yeah, she's very big with the women in my life as well so I've heard those records a lot. I find her completely inoffensive, I enjoy some of her tracks. I'd rather listen to Dusty in Memphis personally, but I can totally see the appeal. Outselling Dark Side is a huge accomplishment in the piracy era.

--Mike

Still not surprised about people buying music. Susan Boyle sold the shit out of her album (s) and they were just crap. But it was the kind of crap alot of folks can relate to; familiar songs, melody, orchestration, etc. Adele is about the same way with a touch more originality. He songs sound like what you have heard before, but it sounds just enough new that it has interest. I gotta be honest, there is so much indie rock that just has little to catch people's attention other than cache. That works for the hipster community, but not much beyond the walls of Portlandia. I am not surprised that the Black Keys finally broke out; they play the same sort of hard rock/blues based material that most people have enjoyed for years. On the other hand Bon Iver better start a bank account because his shelf life is limited. (And don't get me started about the Dirty Projectors....these folks wouldn't know an actual song if it came up and slapped them in the face...)

LouieB

Nothing like an out-of-nowhere attack on a pretty good band.

Nothing like an out-of-nowhere attack on a pretty good band.

Yup out of nowhere. It is interesting that the defense of these guys (who are good musicians) is with a song they didn't write and which has really great words and melody. This was not an issue specifically with this band, but with many who do what they do, some of which I do like. The point was not to knock them, but to show that the vast majority of the music buying public like to be able to hear a song with lyrics and a melody they might be able to sing along to. Nothing wrong with art rock, but it isn't going to sell millions of copies of any album. And the Dirty Projectors are actually a pretty big name indie band.

(I saw them and was only moderately impressed.)

edit-I had not listened to this recording before I typed the above. You can hardly ruin a song this great, but there are elements to this performance which illistrate why the some folks don't like indie rock - the whiney voice, the unconvincing reading of the song, the lo-fi recording, the bare bones instrumentation, plodding tempo. Actually the parts I like the best were the harmony interludes and the harmony back-up in general. .You can't lose singing a song which brings goose bumps just thinking about it.

LouieB

It is interesting that the defense of these guys (who are good musicians) is with a song they didn't write and which has really great words and melody.

LouieB

Hey now Louie -- I wasn't jumping into your spat with Bleedorange. I was simply pointing out that their cover of the Dylan tune is well done. I posted it because I enjoy it.

Hey now Louie -- I wasn't jumping into your spat with Bleedorange. I was simply pointing out that their cover of the Dylan tune is well done. I posted it because I enjoy it.

See what I added to the post after listening to it. No spat here at all. The Dirty Projectors are an okay band, they just don't have anything to catch the imagination of the great unwashed music buying public, other than the Brooklyn/Portlandia crowd. The cover is pretty good, but then just about any cover of this song would be a winner in my book, it is one of the greatest songs ever.

LouieB