Rest in Peace, Levon

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do. My dad worked his whole life in the aerospace industry so we kids were always interested in space flight. Dad worked on the Saturn V rockets that boosted the Apollos into orbit, and later he worked on parts of the Enterprise & Columbia space shuttles. Pretty cool stuff to have been a part of! 

I'm looking forward to seeing Levon in that movie. I loved him in Coal Miner's Daughter. It seemed like acting came naturally to him. Maybe if he hadn't been so busy with his other job he'd have been a famous actor.

I looked up his filmography because honestly I donn't remember him being in other movies, but in fact he was. Aside from documentaries and the two we are discussing here, the others he was in look terrible and certainly there aren't any I think I saw, with the exception of Feeling Minnisota, which I remember as pretty mediocre.  Then again maybe I didn't see it.  So while he certainly spent most of his life as a musician, he did a fair amount of movies. 

It really was great that the end of his career got that bump. because his later solo records and the faux Band records were not that great.  I guess that is the best way life can be.  (Waxing nostalgic) 

LouieB

Man Outside (1987)

You can see Levon, Rick, Richard, and Garth in that film.

I think it was the Rambles that brought him back into the spotlight. The reason he started those was due to the fact he was about to lose the place - over lack of money.

I think I read somewhere recently that his wife and daughter are still having some money problems.

I looked up his filmography because honestly I donn't remember him being in other movies, but in fact he was. Aside from documentaries and the two we are discussing here, the others he was in look terrible and certainly there aren't any I think I saw, with the exception of Feeling Minnisota, which I remember as pretty mediocre.  Then again maybe I didn't see it.  So while he certainly spent most of his life as a musician, he did a fair amount of movies. 

It really was great that the end of his career got that bump. because his later solo records and the faux Band records were not that great.  I guess that is the best way life can be.  (Waxing nostalgic) 

LouieB

Dirt Farmer is one of the best albums of the past 10 years or so, and ranks up there with the best Band albums (first 2). Electric Dirt is a lot of fun too, certainly a great album, IMO.

Reading Levon's book, he mentions pretty much taking the movie and tv roles where they needed a hillbilly. 

Man Outside (1987)

You can see Levon, Rick, Richard, and Garth in that film.

I think it was the Rambles that brought him back into the spotlight. The reason he started those was due to the fact he was about to lose the place - over lack of money.

I think I read somewhere recently that his wife and daughter are still having some money problems.

Thanks, A-man. I'll have to look for that film. Even if it's lousy it might be interesting. You have a veritable encyclopedia of a mind...I'm always amazed at all the details you know.

Dirt Farmer is one of the best albums of the past 10 years or so, and ranks up there with the best Band albums (first 2). Electric Dirt is a lot of fun too, certainly a great album, IMO.

Reading Levon's book, he mentions pretty much taking the movie and tv roles where they needed a hillbilly. 

I love Dirt Farmer and want to get Electric Dirt, based on what I've heard about it. That's adorable that Levon was happy taking "hillbilly" roles. I'm glad he wasn't cast in Deliverance. :uhoh

I hate to argue, considering you quoted me, but as good as Dirt Farmer is, it is not even cosee to the first two albums by the Band.  It may be better than the faux Band albums and even better than Levon's later solo albums from the first solo period, but the first two albums by the Band are up there with the greatest records ever made.  Dirst Farmer is a nice late career comeback.

LouieB

I hate to argue, considering you quoted me, but as good as Dirt Farmer is, it is not even cosee to the first two albums by the Band.  It may be better than the faux Band albums and even better than Levon's later solo albums from the first solo period, but the first two albums by the Band are up there with the greatest records ever made.  Dirst Farmer is a nice late career comeback.

LouieB

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I'd say the Brown album is better, but Dirt Farmer ranks up there with it. Sound, vibe, and songs are all excellent, points taken off for lack of original songs. As for Big Pink, that album has not aged as well, really more historically significant for the cultural and musical change that followed. A great album, but seems dated to me, and some of the songs fall flat. I count the Brown album and Dirt Farmer as perfect albums, front to back. Big Pink is not. And since it came out, I listen to Dirt Farmer far more than the other two. 

Its probably me that hasn't aged well either. 

Big Pink came out of the pressure cooker of the Basement Tapes and includes some of The Band's greatest songs and a great cover.  All four singers sound great, young and vital.   Some of the songs have become rock standards.  Needless to say it was recorded over 40 years before Dirt Farmer, which makes it dated i suppose.  Advanced multi-track recording and other innovations can make any record sound great now.  Music from Big Pink was a towering acheivement, whereas Dirt Farmer is a nice set of mostly traditional songs with a few good contemporary songs. (Actually he makes the a mediocre Steve Earle song sound better than Steve Earle did.)   It's a good album but to me it isn't even in the same category.  Again it is totally persnal I suppose, but I have heard Big Pink hundreds of times in my life.  Somehow it never gets old.  Dirt Farmer is a testiment to Levon's stamina that he was able to come back and make a good album with a bunch of really talented friends and his daughter.  But the Band in their heyday, whew...

LoueB

You make some good points, particularly on how great The Mountain is.  Was real excited Levon played it at the Greek in LA the one time I saw him, but bummed Steve Earle came out and sang it. And I can certainly understand where your perspective is coming from regarding these albums.

What "faux Band" albums are we talking about here?

Those made after Robbie left.  Particularly mediocre are those after Jericho (which is uneven but not bad.)  Specifically High on the Hog isn't so great.  I may have heard Jubilation once and never wanted to hear it again.

LouieB

F Mumford and Sons :( 

Also- if you're going to be singing The Weight and mumble the words or need a teleprompter as a part of a tribute to someone who passed away... you probably shouldnt being singing it at all. I'm looking at YOU, Elton John. 

I thought Elton John was, by far, the weakest part of the performance.

I really enjoyed it, but I have to admit I found myself saying to my son, "I thought the song had more passion when we saw it with Wilco & Mavis, and Wilco with Levon's band." I'll bet those who were at those Solid Sound performances would tend to agree.

But oh, didn't Mavis look (and sound) smashing at the Grammys?

Thanks for that suggestion, Tweedling! I have some Amazon birthday money to spend and that might be a really nice use of some of it! :yes

So glad I could suggest. The stories are so cool and the way it's written you can just hear his voice sometimes. It also has parts that are written by other people and their accounts with The Band. Hurry so we can talk about it!;)

Awwwww shit! Just watched the Solid Sound where wilco, Levon and co. perform The Weight. What the hell!?!? Tweedy is almost having trouble reading the damn words and singing at the same time. Granted the guy has a lot of lyrics stored up there in his noggin but C'MON! This song and especially the first verse is some Americana that should IMO be second nature to him. It kinda hurt my feelings in a weird sort of way.

I think maybe there was a serious case of awestruck-ness going on for Jeff. Must've been intense for him to find himself sharing the stage with Levon. So a bit of nerves don't bother me. I just remember how joyous that song felt. It was a pretty sublime space to be in right then, for them and for us.

Also, I've just ordered "This Wheel's on Fire". I've been meaning to read it for a long time, so I'm glad you reminded me. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Garth is having money problems also:

Garth Hudson's Belongings Sold Off at Garage Sale

The Band's Garth Hudson saw some of his belongings sold off this weekend by his landlord in a Kingston, New York, garage sale after failing to pay rent on his loft space for about seven years, the Times Herald-Record reports. The multi-instrumentalist, most-known for his organ and keyboard playing, kept the space for storage. He stored everything from personal possessions and household items to handwritten sheet music, and among the goodies are uncashed checks, including one issued from EMI in 1979 for $26,000.

Hudson originally moved into the 2,000-square-foot loft in 2002 after his house was foreclosed on, but later reduced his space and moved twice. Mike Piazza, owner of the loft Hudson occupied, said rent checks from Hudson stopped six months after he moved in. Though Piazza tracked down Hudson's representatives in Canada and the U.S., managing to secure some installments from them and Hudson himself, the payments weren't lasting. Piazza estimates the unpaid bill to be between $60,000 and $70,000 over the past 11 years.

Piazza had also attempted to partner with Hudson's former bandmates Robbie Robertson and the late Levon Helm to sell the items as a fundraiser, but Piazza said neither showed interest. The History Channel program American Pickers also made offers to Piazza but Piazza and the show's producers were unable to reach Hudson's lawyers for clearance.

Hudson's Facebook page had a note to fans encouraging them to attend the garage sale and purchase items to allow Hudson to buy them back. "We were told everything there was sold," read the note. "We were not seeking funds, but were asking purchasers to allow us to reimburse them for what they bought as we were not on premises ourselves."

Piazza maintains it's either sell the items or lose out on a sizable chunk of rent. "My intent was just to get rid of it," he said. "I'm a real estate person, not a collector." He has already made an agreement with an online auction company to sell off the music-related items on April 1st. As for the fans, they're already on it: one woman bought Hudson's household items and personal belongings for a few thousand dollars with the apparent intention to return them to him.