Spin's 100 Greatest Guitarists Ever

As for being old and cranky - I'll give you old and cranky now - these jackasses actually put the phrase "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" at the beginning of the article, but no one thought to include Frank Zappa anywhere in their top 100 list?

Zappa's #16, IIRC.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zappa's #16, IIRC.

True.

16 Frank Zappa

His highly satirical aesthetic was often criticized as being cold, but purely in guitar terms, Zappa was a multi-faceted, highly emotional master capable of spiking his über-complex compositions with downright dirty playing. Upon the occasion of his death in 1993, Alice Cooper reminisced: "I saw [Zappa] play one night at a club with Hendrix. Frank got up and did an imitation of him. I'm looking at Hendrix and his mouth was open." For good reason.

Most Heroic Moment: "Debra Kadabra." D.M.

True.

16 Frank Zappa

His highly satirical aesthetic was often criticized as being cold, but purely in guitar terms, Zappa was a multi-faceted, highly emotional master capable of spiking his über-complex compositions with downright dirty playing. Upon the occasion of his death in 1993, Alice Cooper reminisced: "I saw [Zappa] play one night at a club with Hendrix. Frank got up and did an imitation of him. I'm looking at Hendrix and his mouth was open." For good reason.

Most Heroic Moment: "Debra Kadabra." D.M.

Show how much attention I paid. LOL

Still, Zappa is ranked below The Edge, Kurt Cobain, and Johnny Ramone. For that reason alone, I give the list (overall) a thumbs down.

Mr Heartbreak, given yr avatar, i am surprised that you didn't make note of James 'Blood' Ulmer or Sonny Sharrock either. or John Fahey?

Bill Frisell seemed to get the shaft too.

and to my fellow VCers, apologies for my inflammatory rhetoric. my vigorous defense is likely stemming from the fact that a lot of these people (71 in fact) i've either bought records of, or seen perform. just that they made Spin's list wouldn't mean they would make mine (eg, i love Yo La Tengo but sometimes Ira's wankery really gets on my nerves; lydia lunch should never make it anywhere near a top 1000 list; etc).

Show how much attention I paid. LOL

Still, Zappa is ranked below The Edge, Kurt Cobain, and Johnny Ramone. For that reason alone, I give the list (overall) a thumbs down.

I was expecting you to rant against their choice of Debra Kedabra, instead of Inca Roads.

I was expecting you to rant against their choice of Debra Kedabra, instead of Inca Roads.

They only chose that one because Captain Beefheart gives it cred.

They only chose that one because Captain Beefheart gives it cred.

Actually, ranting against their choice of Debra Kadabra over Inca Roads would make sense in my book, but it's not that important.

The inclusion of FZ makes me happier (less unhappy?) with the list, but I would only be positive about it if they also included Bruce Cockburn. He's not exactly a household name either, and has been a true guitar hero since about 1970.

James "Blood" Ulmer is cool, but would not even make my top 100. Sonny Sharrock? I don't know, if you're going to go in the jazz direction, why not Terje Rypdal? Or hell, Grant Green?

The best thing about this list is the comments section beneath it.

"We have to talk about Skrillex in every article just to get people to read them"

"But this is about guitarists"

"I don't care, Skrillex has to be there"

:lol

This list should have been called the author's list of favorite guitar players. That is a different animal than a list of "greatest" guitarists.

the list was compiled by several people, not just one.

how do you judge 'greatest' guitarists?

is joe bonamassa a 'greater' guitarist than d boon?

• 8 months later...