• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glencov-1.jpg

Glen Hansard - Rhythm And Repose

82324.jpg

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

This is pretty awful. How did they ever go from Cherub Rock, Rhinoceros, Drown, and Perfect into....

2zGy7.jpg

... that.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

This is pretty awful. How did they ever go from Cherub Rock, Rhinoceros, Drown, and Perfect into....

... that.

Oh man, I am the exact opposite - I am really liking this one a lot...It was really immediate for me. I really hated his last 2 records (solo and the last pumpkins one), so a slight return to form is okay with me, and I'm pretty sure this is Billy's way of waving the white flag...for Billy Corgan circa 2012, Oceania is not a bad record. He made it with his fans in mind, which kinda humanizes him...The guitars are great, the bass is great, drumming is ok and his voice is ok... Don't really care for Quasar starting off the album(sounds to much like Siva filtered through the Machina-era sound to me). Glissandra and Violet Rays are really the only two songs I am kinda cold on. I am surprised that, so far, it's been very positively viewed upon by critics.

If anything, Oceania's songs are most like the ones you mentioned above. I hear tons of Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie on Oceania. Those two record's influence are all over this one - Panopticon, The Chimera and Inkless sound like they could have musically fit on Siamese Dream to my ears (perhaps not lyrically). To me, it's the record Billy Should have made around 1999...By all means, the album is not perfect, but it's pretty good in comparison to his output since 2000 and his best set of songs since then.

Oh man, I am the exact opposite - I am really liking this one a lot...It was really immediate for me. I really hated his last 2 records (solo and the last pumpkins one), so a slight return to form is okay with me, and I'm pretty sure this is Billy's way of waving the white flag...for Billy Corgan circa 2012, Oceania is not a bad record. He made it with his fans in mind, which kinda humanizes him...The guitars are great, the bass is great, drumming is ok and his voice is ok... Don't really care for Quasar starting off the album(sounds to much like Siva filtered through the Machina-era sound to me). Glissandra and Violet Rays are really the only two songs I am kinda cold on. I am surprised that, so far, it's been very positively viewed upon by critics.

If anything, Oceania's songs are most like the ones you mentioned above. I hear tons of Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie on Oceania. Those two record's influence are all over this one - Panopticon, The Chimera and Inkless sound like they could have musically fit on Siamese Dream to my ears (perhaps not lyrically). To me, it's the record Billy Should have made around 1999...By all means, the album is not perfect, but it's pretty good in comparison to his output since 2000 and his best set of songs since then.

Oceania is full of extremely trite sentiments. It's like Billy Corgan embraced Jack Johnson in his life: all you need in a musical career is a heart. I actually think this is just Zwan 2.0 meets some sort of fevered-dream version of Black Sabbath. There's some nice sounds on the album; however, the lyrics...

Then again, this is the man who hates Pavement because he doesn't understand a joke and sarcasm.

And then he said this, at a time when he released different extra tracks for different retailers for the same album.

Because a heart should be on a sleeve!

I'm sorry, now it's just a rant about what went wrong with the Smashing Pumpkins. I've made myself sad.

Did the Karate Kid lookalike win a contest or something?

I don't even know where to begin with that picture. All these minute details just send me running to the bathroom and reversing my fortune.

Me too. Love that album ...

I love that album too. Why there so little love for this beautiful album?

Also, I have to be honest. I found out about this album and band through Gilmore Girls. Not enough love for that show as well. :/