Wilco at Santa Fe Opera House, Sept 18

If you are planning a road trip, I really can't imagine a better venue than this. It is stunningly beautiful and acoustically awesome. We are thrilled that we will finally get to see the band in our hometown.

Presale is June 20, 10 AM Mountain Time.

Hope to see as many of you as possible here.

sfopera.jpg

I'd love to see Wilco there, a Sept trip to Santa Fe would be very nice. Not sure I can swing it myself, but I'm envious of those who can. I'll have to settle for Tucson.

I'd love to see Wilco there, a Sept trip to Santa Fe would be very nice. Not sure I can swing it myself, but I'm envious of those who can. I'll have to settle for Tucson.

Tucson venue looks pretty questionable. Anyone been there?

can i ride the rail??

how bout the damn beach show in cali??!! good lord you know that would be great

Reserved seating only at the Opera House. :(

As for the beach show in Cali, we'll be there. In fact, we're doing the run of shows starting in Southern Oregon, then Redding, then Avila Beach, then Hollywood Bowl.

Weird note: Each of the first three shows in that run is the hometown of a member of my wife's family. So we have a place to stay for each show.

Tucson venue looks pretty questionable. Anyone been there?

I saw The Black Crowes there in 2005. The venue is nothing special, a pretty standard theater with seats all the way down to the stage. The Crowes played there on a Sunday night and it didn't sell out, so we got upgraded to front row. The venue staff is mostly retired volunteer senior citizens which can be comical to see the interaction between rock fans (especially pot-smoking hippie rock fans like at the Crowes) and them. They are not real hardcore about rules probably because they aren't used to anybody ever not doing what they are supposed to. I've been to worse places.

I saw The Black Crowes there in 2005. The venue is nothing special, a pretty standard theater with seats all the way down to the stage. The Crowes played there on a Sunday night and it didn't sell out, so we got upgraded to front row. The venue staff is mostly retired volunteer senior citizens which can be comical to see the interaction between rock fans (especially pot-smoking hippie rock fans like at the Crowes) and them. They are not real hardcore about rules probably because they aren't used to anybody ever not doing what they are supposed to. I've been to worse places.

Thanks for the info. I went on Crowebase to check out that show, love the following comments from a taper there:

"the gentleman at the door, and upon seeing taping equipment in the bag his memory was jogged and he quickly ushered us in to the hall adding, “They told us not to bust y’all…so if you wanna puff, go for it!”"

• 1 month later...

While I was out of town (without phone or internet access) in June, my two favorite men in the world, who live in Santa Fe, bought three tickets for this show. Even though they couldn't get in touch with me, they were hoping I'd be able to join them, and I can! Very much looking forward to this one. I haven't been to Santa Fe, but the city and venue look gorgeous. Also, just found this:

Heath Concerts is thrilled to announce WILCO live at the stunning Santa Fe Opera theater Tuesday, Sept. 18, 7:00 show with very special guest Jonathan Richman.

http://santafe.org/Calendar/index.html

:dancing

Haven't booked my flights yet, but probably arriving Monday evening and leaving Wednesday morning. I'll check with my hosts on what they're planning, but at the very least, we should plan to meet for a drink before the show (one of the perks of a seated show! :) ).

• 1 month later...

yeah, I'm getting ready to head down to Tucson in a couple hours and I'd like to know what they played last night. I'm hoping to hear Wishful Thinking tonight.

Have a great show!!! I send out some good wishes for "Wishful Thinking" for you...one of my faves too- they've done it 8 times this year (most recently on Sept. 15th at the Hideout Block Party in Chicago) & I was lucky enough to catch it on the 2nd night in Brooklyn & then one week later at Mass MoCA!

Either way...here's the classic version from the "Ashes Of American Flags" DVD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBLvMV2rxYU

Dying to see a setlist or report from this show. C'mon, Santa Feans!

I didn't keep a setlist, but they opened with Poor Places / Art of Almost / I Might, followed by Company in My Back. Sunken Treasure was in there, acoustic Spiders, Shouldn't Be Ashamed, Hummingbird. HandShake Drugs into One Wing (yay, Wilco the Album).

Set ended with A Shot in the Arm.

Two encores: Via Chicago, ITMWLY, Walken, and ending with Jesus Etc, of all things. No singalong. Final encore was Can't Stand It, Monday, Outtasite (Outta Mind).

Amazing venue, spectacular sound, perfect weather for an indoor-outdoor venue. Crowd took a while to warm up, but by midshow (ie, Impossible Germany) they were on their feet and stayed there.

Some nice banter from Jeff, whose first words were "Nice place you got here." He also said "This leg of the tour is just getting started, but so far you guys are the best audience, and we played a hometown show just a couple days ago. Don't tell them back in Chicago, OK?" He also pointed out that the last time they played Santa Fe was right after the release of AM, at a little dive called Club Alegria.

I was surprised no Candyfloss given the opera setting.

We leave for Oregon next week to see four shows in a row, ending at Hollywood Bowl.