Wilco on Jimmy Fallon July 25

This is surely of interest to no one, but I just had a chance to watch the Fallon performance of Laminated Cat and just thought it was funny that Jeff had a slight lyric flub (he never actually sang "...it's not for the season" but actually sang "...they're not worth reading" twice.) He probably didn't even realize it...or if he did, never let on the way he sometimes does live when he realizes he's transposed a lyric. ;)

Ha! I remember noticing that when I first watched the performance. And yeah, he didn't wince or scrunch up his face or anything, but you know he had to have noticed. Mr. Smooth!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is surely of interest to no one, but I just had a chance to watch the Fallon performance of Laminated Cat and just thought it was funny that Jeff had a slight lyric flub (he never actually sang "...it's not for the season" but actually sang "...they're not worth reading" twice.) He probably didn't even realize it...or if he did, never let on the way he sometimes does live when he realizes he's transposed a lyric. ;)

That's always been a tough song for him to get. I seem to remember a lot of boots I have where he flubs a line or sings the wrong verse at the wrong time.

--Mike

That's always been a tough song for him to get. I seem to remember a lot of boots I have where he flubs a line or sings the wrong verse at the wrong time.

--Mike

i think it was the Abbey 28 feb 99 where he flubbed the first verse of acuff-rose and stopped and said "i'll do it again if you want me to?"

--Mike

I'll take a flub or two over having him staring at a teleprompter

Like Springsteen - what an "abortion" ..... :badger (i keed, i keed)

I have been a most vocal critic of Springsteen's reliance on the prompter. And the goofy pained artist face he uses to supposedly hide his reading of the lyrics. I am sure that is what has led to some of the off rhythm performances of many of his old warhorse standards.

I'll take a flub or two over having him staring at a teleprompter

Lennon used to write cheat sheat notes to songs and tape them on the back of his guitars. I am pretty compelled when I hear mistakes on the live boots, it makes them feel more human. I have no idea how he's able to remember some of the lyrics every night, imagine trying to do Remember the Mountain Bed. It's got to be a relief when they do I'm a Wheel.

--Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Apologies for the randomness and bumping a thread for my first VC post, but I have been searching high & low trying to find video of the Laminated Cat performance on Fallon, with frustratingly little (meaning zero) luck. Does anyone know of an active link, or might anyone haved saved the video at the time it was available on the NBC site? I am a guitar strap maker, and JT uses a couple of my straps. One I actually didn't know about until recently is on the Rickenbacker he uses for Laminated Cat. It's a bit crazy-making that I can't see the vid---and the fact that I'm only late on it by a few weeks.

Link to a blog post I made about the strap a few days ago on my website:

http://www.holmesbklyn.com/blogs/holmes/6601225-wilco-bologna-barcelona

Thanks for any help!

Ray