Stumbled on this recent interview with John Stirratt. It has a couple of enlightening observations and nuggets of Wilco arcana for those who might be interested.

http://www.columbusa...-interview.html

He talks a bit about the current reworking of Spiders and Laminated Cat, and is charmingly distracted mid-interview by a stranger in distress.

No demo - but you can hear the early versions.

Wilcobase>Songs>Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Click on a date, scroll down to Audio Sources - look for:

Download this show from the Wilco Archive @ Owl and Bear

I really love the early version of Spiders. The performance from Cajun House in Arizona, 3/11/2002. Glenn's opening drumming is killer!

I really love the early version of Spiders. The performance from Cajun House in Arizona, 3/11/2002. Glenn's opening drumming is killer!

I seem to recall the mention of "sounds like U2" when they first started playing Spiders in 2002.

John's quote from the article:

"That was kind of the way the song originally was demoed. I heard Jeff perform it solo at a benefit, it was like a 9/11 benefit we did at the Metro, that I put on with some other people. He performed it like that solo, and I thought it was really nice. We demoed it that way, but we could never get Jim O’Rourke to get behind it, you know? (laughs) Who knows? It might have been a hit that way. But every time we did it in the studio it sounded a little bit too U2. But even then, we didn’t quite do it the way we do it now. It has a different sort of sensibility, a different tone."

This is such a nice interview. John has always seemed like the sweetest, most down-to-earth guy, the perfect bass player personality. Rock steady and supportive but still enthusiastic and really enjoying himself.