The People's List

Pitchfork

http://www.pitchfork.com/peopleslist/

Looks like the boys have 3 (unless I missed #4 or more).

I think Radiohead has more on list than they actually made.

You know it's not that I hate Radiohead, or anything like that...but...although I know artists I love & admire, like The Flaming Lips & Jeff Tweedy solo, have covered songs of theirs...I have to say that I can find some good songs, but none that blow me away & not a single album that I'd call anything more than good...sooooooooooooo...I can say that not only do I think that they are the most overrated band in the world, I'll go a step further than that & say that I think they are the single most overrated artists in the history of modern music!! By far...

You know it's not that I hate Radiohead, or anything like that...but...although I know artists I love & admire, like The Flaming Lips & Jeff Tweedy solo, have covered songs of theirs...I have to say that I can find some good songs, but none that blow me away & not a single album that I'd call anything more than good...sooooooooooooo...I can say that not only do I think that they are the most overrated band in the world, I'll go a step further than that & say that I think they are the single most overrated artists in the history of modern music!! By far...

I've tried and tried, but I just don't get Radiohead music. I'm done trying.

Now that's just silly, just because YOU don't like them they must be the most overrated artist in modern music? Seriously? I love Raidohead, I think they are one of the GREATEST artists in modern music, By FAR...

Now that's just silly, just because YOU don't like them they must be the most overrated artist in modern music? Seriously? I love Raidohead, I think they are one of the GREATEST artists in modern music, By FAR...

Radiohead is the only touring band left I like more then Wilco..I enjoy Wilco though more in the sense that it is less of a headache getting tickets and Wilco play smaller places..

Hmmmm...don't think it's silly, just think that's how subjective opinions work. I could as easily say, with shock, that just because you like them that makes them, "one of the GREATEST artists in modern music, By FAR..."?!?!. But I'm sure it does, and well it should. For the record, I stated "I think"...meaning it's something subjective & personal...something I think, or I feel...not something I'm trying, by any means, to make some unequivocal statement/pronouncement/judgement from on high here about for all to follow, at all.

That said, I've tried with Radiohead, repeatedly...and I may again, someday...but not for awhile, because I have tried, again & again, & they just don't do much for me...not nothing, just not very much.

Let me soften this in a left-handed, slightly tongue in cheek manner by saying that Kanye West is an artist who I don't hate, per se, but who I really generally don't care for, & have pretty much no use for, or interest in, at all. And I've loved lots of hip-hop- though it's far from a favorite genre of mine...

I think Radiohead is generally much higher rated than him, but at least I can see some, if not a lot, value to their work...West is an artist who I think is jaw-droppingly over touted & whose work I see as having much less value than Radiohead's...so work out the proportions...

Radiohead some better songs, but albums that are good to me at the very best (and honestly more OK really)...and West, an artist who has made very little, if any, positive impressions on me at all, ever...and then work out the calculus as to how highly rated they are vs. how inconsequential they are to me...and voila! you've got whoever is the most overrated...it's a clash of the titans with this one!

Hmmmm...don't think it's silly, just think that's how subjective opinions work. I could as easily say that just because you like them that makes them, "one of the GREATEST artists in modern music, By FAR...". But I'm sure it does, and well it should. For the record, I stated that "I think"...meaning it's some subjective & personal...something I think, or feel...not trying, by any means, to make some unequivocal statement/pronouncement/judgement from on high here, at all.

That said, I've tried with Radiohead, repeatedly...and I may again, someday...but not for awhile, because they just don't do much for me...not nothing, just not much.

Let me soften this in a left-handed, slightly tongue in cheek manner by saying that Kanye West is an artist who I don't hate, per se, but who I really generally don't care for, & have pretty much no use for, or interest in, at all. And I've loved lots of hip-hop- though it's far from a favorite genre of mine...

I think Radiohead is generally much higher rated than him, but at least I can see some, if not a lot, value to their work...West is an artist who I think is jaw-droppingly over touted & whose work I see as having much less value than Radiohead's...so work out the proportions...

Radiohead some better songs, but albums that are good to me at the very best (and honestly more OK really)...and West, an artist who has made very little, if any, positive impressions on me at all, ever...and then work out the calculus as to how highly rated they are vs. how inconsequential they are to me...and voila! you've got whoever is the most overrated...it's a clash of the titans with this one!

You're wrong on both counts.

You're wrong on both counts.

So wrong, it's right!! ;) Behold the wonder of the Zen reversal...

And just a little perspective...I tend to think of opinions as just different, not right or wrong...

Pitchfork did a readers' poll of their favorite albums released during Pitchfork's first 15 years. Wilco is on the list three times:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot at #7 "all-time," #1 of 2002

Summerteeth at #77 "all-time,", #4 of 1999

Being There at #155 "all-time,", #6 of 1996

And now we're debating the merits of Radiohead and opinions.

Can't identify with that list, I don't think I own 4-5 of those albums listed, plus there's no R.E.M. to be seen anywhere! Going by this list I'm listening to the wrong stuff! (or I'm not part of The People) :)

I'm with you. Other than the 3 Wilco albums and the couple of MMJ albums, I don't think I've got, or am even familiar with, anything else on that entire list. I've been living in an alternate universe obviously.

Perhaps it's because most of "The People," as in those who voted, believe REM's best work occurred prior to 1996 and their output following that yer was sub-par.

Would generally agree with that, with the exception of Collapse Into Now, which to my ears is their best work in years (or a decade?) and right up there with anything else

Perhaps it's because most of "The People," as in those who voted, believe REM's best work occurred prior to 1996 and their output following that yer was sub-par.

Because (IMO) that would be the case, sad but true.

I guess i underestimated the sensitive nature of fellow users. The mere suggestion that an opinion could be "wrong" should be taken as it is...a hyperbolic statement in a discussion about the merits of particular artists. I really fail to see how it could be seen as anything else. But, in the future, I'll start qualifying everything with "I think" or a smiley face to denote my usual light-hearted tone. (This is still merely a forum to discuss Wilco, music, and other things, correct? I mean, I know I've only been on here for 8 years.)

On to the topic, it's like any other list that comes out. A few surprises, but generally what you would expect. I'm not sure how useful it is because it conforms to what Pitchfork likes. Big surprise...avid readers of Pitchfork vote in a poll on Pitchfork and get results similar to Pitchfork's. :lol

Case in point is Wilco's representation. No A Ghost is Born? I think that's more a product of Pitchfork not particularly liking that album as opposed to the general consensus on Wilco's catalog.

Big surprise...avid readers of Pitchfork vote in a poll on Pitchfork and get results similar to Pitchfork's. :lol

Case in point is Wilco's representation. No A Ghost is Born? I think that's more a product of Pitchfork not particularly liking that album as opposed to the general consensus on Wilco's catalog.

This. And that.

I guess i underestimated the sensitive nature of fellow users. The mere suggestion that an opinion could be "wrong" should be taken as it is...a hyperbolic statement in a discussion about the merits of particular artists. I really fail to see how it could be seen as anything else. But, in the future, I'll start qualifying everything with "I think" or a smiley face to denote my usual light-hearted tone. (This is still merely a forum to discuss Wilco, music, and other things, correct? I mean, I know I've only been on here for 8 years.)

On to the topic, it's like any other list that comes out. A few surprises, but generally what you would expect. I'm not sure how useful it is because it conforms to what Pitchfork likes. Big surprise...avid readers of Pitchfork vote in a poll on Pitchfork and get results similar to Pitchfork's. :lol

Is the consensus Ghost is most people's favorites? :ermm

Would like to see the stat of album release dates.

The info is there on the website. I actually thought they did a nice job of breaking down the data in different ways, particularly the geographic information.

But in the end, yes, it's another list and I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it.

The info is there on the website. I actually thought they did a nice job of breaking down the data in different ways, particularly the geographic information.

But in the end, yes, it's another list and I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it.

Ah so - further down the page... Didn't get that far...

Best comment I've seen so far about the list:

"here is the best part about the people list, is that pitchfork basically got 1000s of ppl to, for free, create an ad platform for converse."

Is the consensus Ghost is most people's favorites? :ermm

No, I was going by the Rank the Studio Albums thread from a while back:

Being There, Summerteeth, and A Ghost is Born are all considered to be in that next tier right under Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and the difference between them is negligible. So when this poll contains two of those three, I would say it is more of a function of the fact that Pitchfork didn't rate AGIB very highly, which means that Pitchfork readers don't rate it as highly. That's all. Of course, this opinion is about as scientific as the poll we're discussing.

No, I was going by the Rank the Studio Albums thread from a while back:

Being There, Summerteeth, and A Ghost is Born are all considered to be in that next tier right under Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and the difference between them is negligible. So when this poll contains two of those three, I would say it is more of a function of the fact that Pitchfork didn't rate AGIB very highly, which means that Pitchfork readers don't rate it as highly. That's all. Of course, this opinion is about as scientific as the poll we're discussing.

Ah..anyways I am a firm believer that peoples favorite albums by an artist are usually the first album they got into by the band. in 2003 Wilco def got a new wave of support thus why many may hold Ghost dearly...