Hot Stove League 2012-2013!!!

yeah the delmon young signing was a shocker. a cheap one (i trust you saw that he can essentially double his salary by not being a fatass all season?) but still. there's a lifelong american leaguer if ever there was one.

DY will be beast or bust at the plate, but if he acts up at all he'll be run out of South Philly faster than he can throw a bat at an umpire.

Oh well, 3rd place means tickets won't be so hard to get for the first time in seven or eight years.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're looking at it all wrong.  My two goals for what I wanted to see the Rangers do this offseason were met...eliminating Michael Young and Josh Hamilton from the roster.  There's no way in hell I would have wanted Greinke at that price, so I'm glad the Rangers didn't offer him that much.  Napoli has two degenerative hips.  Who's to say he would be a better option than Pierzynski this year?

Berkman had a great 2011.  To say that he hasn't played a full season since 2011 is to say that he was hurt last year.  He's never played fewer than 122 games in a season since his rookie year.  Plus, he'll predominantly be a DH, so there is less of an injury risk for an aging player.  Any older player is going to be more of an injury risk, but Berkman is a solid clubhouse guy and doesn't have any lingering injury issues that would be worrisome.

I'd rather keep Elvis and Profar.  And just because Profar and Olt will be starting in AAA, doesn't mean they won't be called up sooner rather than later.  I also wonder if their starts there will buy an extra year of club control, but I'm not sure on that.

Step away from the ledge.

I;m not on the ledge, but I'll scattershoot on the Rangers.

The only problem I have with Hamilton leaving is replacing his offensive numbers (obviously). He turned into a major distraction and he was an absolute black hole in the middle of the lineup for three months.The Rangers coddled him and enabled his immature behavior. I am looking forward to the first time Hamilton lollygags in the field and/or has a nine-pitch, three outs made game. Scioscia will kick his ass.

Daniels may be doing 'money ball' thing with AJ and the big Puma. Looking to cumulatively replace the offensive numbers. But they are both stopgaps

I think Napoli overplayed his hand...he could have gotten a multi-year extension from the Rangers after the 2011 season for some really serious coin. Now, he's got to have 625 plate appearances and appear in, what , 150 games to get his money.

He REALLY miscalculated his worth.

The Rangers need Kinsler to have another 2011..His swing really isn't suited for a leadoff man. He has a looping, power swing that is probably better suited for a 5 or 6 hole batter.  

Word now is that the Rangers are looking to extend Cruz and Murphy. I don't know what I think of this. Murphy has had one year of success against left handers and  let's not forget Mr. Ranger October, Nelson Cruz. He is SO damn inconsistent. But unless Martin blossoms this year, they can't afford to let either walk. (I;m encouraged that Magadan thinks Martin has limitless potential).

I, too want to keep Profar and Olt. But if they are going to languish at Round Rock then I say use them to get a major league piece. (Nobody ever mentions Carlos Gonzales as a good player to pursue a trade for). Andrus is quickly becoming expendable. He's a Boras Client and  besides Profar they also have Odor and Sardinas in the wings. 

I'm thinking that Lohse may be on the table, but Daniels may be willing to go with the staff he has.