Hot Stove League 2012-2013!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But both the Angels and the Rangers will play the Astros an equal amount of times.  So it won't play into who wins the division at all.  Rather it could help in the Wild Card race.  See the AL East are gonna beat up on each other, and in the Central, is there a chance that other then the division champ anyone else will make the playoffs?  

The games the Rangers play vs. Houston also mean less games against Anaheim, Oakland and Seattle.  This means less travel for the Rangers, and less games where they will 2 time zones away from where they played the night before.  It will only make a small difference, but I think a real one.

Why?

So they won't finish last in the AL WEST

But both the Angels and the Rangers will play the Astros an equal amount of times.  So it won't play into who wins the division at all.  Rather it could help in the Wild Card race.  See the AL East are gonna beat up on each other, and in the Central, is there a chance that other then the division champ anyone else will make the playoffs?  

Dude...even I don't think the Rangers are winning the West this year. I just hope they don't finish in fourth.

You think the Mariners have improved?

A lot of young talent almost ready is what I hear.

So they won't finish last in the AL WEST

Dude...even I don't think the Rangers are winning the West this year. I just hope they don't finish in fourth.

That's what I figured you were getting at.  I disagree.  For one thing, we're not even to January yet, so there are still guys out there to sign that can fit in as helpful pieces to the puzzle.  But beyond that, losing Young, Napoli, and Hamilton means we lose a combined WAR of 2.4.  I'm confident the Rangers can make that up pretty easily.  Plus, there's a lot of young talent that we'll finally be able to see play on a consistent basis.  A rotation of Darvish, Harrison, Holland, Ogando, and Perez?  Someone else at the fifth spot?  Colby and Feliz back in midseason.  I'm excited to watch these guys.

That's what I figured you were getting at.  I disagree.  For one thing, we're not even to January yet, so there are still guys out there to sign that can fit in as helpful pieces to the puzzle.  But beyond that, losing Young, Napoli, and Hamilton means we lose a combined WAR of 2.4.  I'm confident the Rangers can make that up pretty easily.  Plus, there's a lot of young talent that we'll finally be able to see play on a consistent basis.  A rotation of Darvish, Harrison, Holland, Ogando, and Perez?  Someone else at the fifth spot?  Colby and Feliz back in midseason.  I'm excited to watch these guys.

and don't forget Geo Soto!

I saw the rise and fall of Geo as a Cub.  He may handle the pitching staff well, but I don't see how a team could trust his bat at this point in his career.

It's a trade-off.  They're not relying on or needing to trust his bat that much.

The Rangers are considering A.J. Pierzynski. Had a career year in 2012 and has a winning attitude, but is 35.

I think the Rangers are hoping that Alfaro will be ready by 2015.

2 year deal ought to do it for A.J., pretty good platoon situation with Soto.

Before things went to hell, I was thinking AJ would be a really good signing. Left handed bat with some pop and he is a good receiver behind the plate.

I don't care how good a guy is behind the plate if they have a batting average of under .200 with only 11 home runs. 

I also think the idea that Soto is exceptional at handling a pitching staff is a stretch.  

I also think the idea that Soto is exceptional at handling a pitching staff is a stretch.  

Nobody ever said he was exceptional.  Just that he handled the Rangers' staff well.  Meshed really well with Yu during the latter part of the season.  And called a good game.  I think the hope is that his offensive numbers pick up a bit.  You never know.  There's also the chance that Texas signs Pierzynski, which would increase production from that position.