Hot Stove League 2012-2013!!!

Now for the armageddon that is post-season wheeling and dealing.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oh my.

The Marlins are really packing it in. Wonder what it would take to get Giancarlo Stanton?

My oh my.

The Marlins are really packing it in. Wonder what it would take to get Giancarlo Stanton?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121113&content_id=40277468&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Referring to this mega-trade, of course. The Fish have already ditched Heath Bell, and now this. Yunel Escobar will replace Ozzie as Miami's village idiot. New stadium, same old Marlins.

at the same time, you can't really blame the fans for not getting emotionally invested in a team they can reasonably assume will be stripped for parts several times a year. that franchise is just a mess, and it sucks for their real fans (and the folks who paid for that new stadium) and their remaining talent. stanton especially. he deserves a better team.

next year's al east should be interesting now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Melky Cabrera to sign with Toronto for 2 years/$16M. The Blue Jays really are fishing now.

Don't know how I feel about that. Cabrera DID serve his penalty, and I heard an analyst on The BBN that said his numbers didn't necessarily show any benefit from PEDS...

Maybe he should have said the sample collector mishandled the urine...worked for Braun.

he broke a rule, served his suspension, took a significant reputation and financial hit ($16 million is obviously still a big contract, but had he not been caught he was heading for a gigantic payday) and now he's presumably clean, with a chance to redeem himself. isnt that the point of punishment?

people (not necessarily you) acting like he should be banned for life are ridiculous. i thought hed only get a one year deal, but if toronto believes he'll remain a great hitter (a reasonable gamble, considering he didnt magically turn into a power hitter while on PEDs this year) then that contract is a steal.

he broke a rule, served his suspension, took a significant reputation and financial hit ($16 million is obviously still a big contract, but had he not been caught he was heading for a gigantic payday) and now he's presumably clean, with a chance to redeem himself. isnt that the point of punishment?

people (not necessarily you) acting like he should be banned for life are ridiculous. i thought hed only get a one year deal, but if toronto believes he'll remain a great hitter (a reasonable gamble, considering he didnt magically turn into a power hitter while on PEDs this year) then that contract is a steal.

No, no, no...I didn't say I wanted him banned for life. I just find it a bit incongrous that Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds and Mark McGurie are not going into the baseball Hall of Fame because of (supposed/alleged/suspicious circumstance) PED use. I think that it's unfair, but I'm not really sure how or why. I just sense the unfairness of it all.

i know you didn't, but ive seen it suggested elsewhere. just bugs me a bit.

i (like most people) have mixed feelings on the steroid business. you can juice all you want but if you dont have the swing to begin with, you wont suddenly be a great hitter. im not saying steroids have no affect, but it's not like you can chalk all a player's success up to the drugs he took.

i suspect most of the big names from that era (with a few exceptions. palmeiro's defiant finger wag certainly doesnt look good in retrospect, and for all canseco's honesty in blowing the whistle, he's pretty much the scapegoat for all that went wrong with baseball in the steroid era. and if you've ever happened upon his twitter, he's not letting it go) will be inducted to the hall of fame eventually. writers being the petty traditionalists they are, they'll certainly keep them waiting for a bit, but i feel they'll get there. the fact that mcgwire has his second big post-career gig in mlb now is a good sign, i think.

but id induct pete rose if i had any say in it, so what do i know.

No, no, no...I didn't say I wanted him banned for life. I just find it a bit incongrous that Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds and Mark McGurie are not going into the baseball Hall of Fame because of (supposed/alleged/suspicious circumstance) PED use. I think that it's unfair, but I'm not really sure how or why. I just sense the unfairness of it all.

I really don't see the unfairness. Melky used PED's got caught and served his suspension. If he when he is eligible for the HOF and he gets in (all together unlikely), then it would be unfair.

If anything it is more unfair to Melky, because of the system that is now in place that made him serve his suspension, whereas Bonds, McGuire, et al had no such system and have not served any suspension. In all likelihood, if the current drug testing program was set up 20 years ago, one of those guys would have been caught and suspensions would have been served.

This whole thing got me thinking, since the HOF is the only way to punish those players "pre-testing" era, would anyone be opposed to letting someone in the HOF from the current period, who has tested positive and served their suspensions? For example, Melky? Or Braun (if his suspension held)? It is a hypothetical, I know, but it is an interesting thing to ponder.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121120&content_id=40371532&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Melky has company in the land of second chances: Toronto to name John Gibbons as their new manager.

Also: Juan Pierre signed with the Marlins. I'm assuming playing time and no state taxes have an appeal to sign with Miami so early.

I do not understand this offseason so far. What's next? Josh Hamilton signing with the Padres?