Hot Stove League 2012-2013!!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Atlanta Brave Dale Murphy was on reddit today and offered up the following:

[–]trinitron13 23 points

2 hoursago

I know you have had a bit of a history with Wilco (via Twitter) and that you are a big music fan. Who are some of your favorite artists and what was your walk out song when you bat?

[–]DaleMurphy3[S] 96 points

2 hours

ago

I'm a huge Wilco fan and have gotten to see them a few times live. Incredible! As for other artists/bands I'm listening to:

-The Civil Wars -The Avett Brothers -Markarians -The War on Drugs

Walk-out songs weren't really around when I was playing, but if I were playing today it would probably be "Daft Punk is Playing at my House" by LCD Soundsystem. Not sure why, but that song gets me pumped!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121222&content_id=40780794&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The D'backs have an over-filled outfield, so now they've signed Cody Ross. I sense a Kubel or Upton trade on the horizon.

Hope the Rangers have finally worked this deal...but I am anything but confident.

Excited to see a lot of this in Toronto this year

MbYee.gif

Love how the catcher closes his eyes.

Knuckleballs just fascinate me.

I always get a chuckle when a physicist will say that breaking balls are optical illusions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/27/mike-napoli-can-play-the-negotiate-in-public-game-too/

Boston hasn't actually signed Mike Napoli yet. They want his contract to address his (apparently) damaged hip, which is I assume teams weren't interested in him as a primary catcher.

The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a one-year deal worth $5 million with incentives that could bring the total value to $13 million, major league sources confirmed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/01/report_napoli_a.html

The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a one-year deal worth $5 million with incentives that could bring the total value to $13 million, major league sources confirmed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/01/report_napoli_a.html

A much better deal for the Sox. That was an expensive physical that Napoli had with the Red Sox a month or two ago.

Bad day for the great game.

RIP Stan Musial

RIP Earl Weaver

RIP Stan Musial

RIP Earl Weaver

Bummer. Weaver was a part of my childhood - putting the hat backwards so he could get closer to the umpire to yell at him was classic. Stan Musial was my dad's favorite ballplayer. I saw him in Cooperstown in '85 at the HOF induction for Enos Slaughter and Lou Brock. He was a class act.

RIP Stan Musial

RIP Earl Weaver

I can't remember the death of two legends happening so closely together. It's too much.

The tiny little town in western Pennsylvania named Donora produced Ken Griffey, Sr., Ken Griffey, Jr., Stan Musial, and my Grandmother. All fine humans in my book.

Re: Earl Weaver...

A friend of mine had a CD called "celebrities at their worst" - the tracks were uncensored rants  - Shatner and a drunk John Wayne were two that I remember off the top of my head. The other I remember was a brilliant one by Earl Weaver.

Someone put it to animation and posted it on youtube. Apparently it was a prank that Earl and the announcer put together to send back to the radio station. Funny stuff.

This offseason has either been an unmitigated disaster or simply disappointing for the Rangers.

The following admitted and supposed goals in this off season:

Sign Zack Greinke....fail

Re-sign Johs Hamilton...fail

Get Justin Upton in trade...fail

Napoli...not as big a disappointment, but in the end, after the hip issue, he turned down a more lucrative contract

The moves that were made?

Joaquin Soria...another closer recovering from Tommy John?

AJ Pierzynski...THIS is a solution to the catching situation?

Lance Berkman...Bad Knees, hasn't played a full season since 2011? (Are they looking for a late career renaissance ala Vlad Guerrero?)

I am most perturbed by the news that Profar and Olt will start the season at AAA Round Rock...these world beating prospects that they won't part with to get proven stars NEED TO BE IN THE BIG LEAGUES. It is rather tiresome hearing how great the Rangers farm system is and not seeing any players making the bigs.

Of course, I was really pissed off when Cliff Lee didn't come back and a little perturbed when the Rangers let Wilson walk. Daniels managed to recover nicely by signing Beltre and Darvish.

The reluctance to offer Andrus in a trade for Upton (word is it was an acceptable deal in a one for one with the D-backs) is unfathomable.

Andrus is a Boras client and will never sign an extension, plus there are SEVERAL top notch short stops in the low minors for the Rangers not to mention Profar's natural position is SS.

Not to complain too much...I remember the days when the Rangers traded Ron Darling and Walt Terrell for Lee fucking Manzilli. But I need to see something here with the youngsters...either play 'em in the bigs or use them to get something good.

This offseason has either been an unmitigated disaster or simply disappointing for the Rangers.

The following admitted and supposed goals in this off season:

Sign Zack Greinke....fail

Re-sign Johs Hamilton...fail

Get Justin Upton in trade...fail

Napoli...not as big a disappointment, but in the end, after the hip issue, he turned down a more lucrative contract

The moves that were made?

Joaquin Soria...another closer recovering from Tommy John?

AJ Pierzynski...THIS is a solution to the catching situation?

Lance Berkman...Bad Knees, hasn't played a full season since 2011? (Are they looking for a late career renaissance ala Vlad Guerrero?)

I am most perturbed by the news that Profar and Olt will start the season at AAA Round Rock...these world beating prospects that they won't part with to get proven stars NEED TO BE IN THE BIG LEAGUES. It is rather tiresome hearing how great the Rangers farm system is and not seeing any players making the bigs.

Of course, I was really pissed off when Cliff Lee didn't come back and a little perturbed when the Rangers let Wilson walk. Daniels managed to recover nicely by signing Beltre and Darvish.

The reluctance to offer Andrus in a trade for Upton (word is it was an acceptable deal in a one for one with the D-backs) is unfathomable.

Andrus is a Boras client and will never sign an extension, plus there are SEVERAL top notch short stops in the low minors for the Rangers not to mention Profar's natural position is SS.

Not to complain too much...I remember the days when the Rangers traded Ron Darling and Walt Terrell for Lee fucking Manzilli. But I need to see something here with the youngsters...either play 'em in the bigs or use them to get something good.

I think you're looking at it all wrong.  My two goals for what I wanted to see the Rangers do this offseason were met...eliminating Michael Young and Josh Hamilton from the roster.  There's no way in hell I would have wanted Greinke at that price, so I'm glad the Rangers didn't offer him that much.  Napoli has two degenerative hips.  Who's to say he would be a better option than Pierzynski this year?

Berkman had a great 2011.  To say that he hasn't played a full season since 2011 is to say that he was hurt last year.  He's never played fewer than 122 games in a season since his rookie year.  Plus, he'll predominantly be a DH, so there is less of an injury risk for an aging player.  Any older player is going to be more of an injury risk, but Berkman is a solid clubhouse guy and doesn't have any lingering injury issues that would be worrisome.

I'd rather keep Elvis and Profar.  And just because Profar and Olt will be starting in AAA, doesn't mean they won't be called up sooner rather than later.  I also wonder if their starts there will buy an extra year of club control, but I'm not sure on that.

Step away from the ledge.

It should be interesting how AJ and Ryan get along; I think Washington and AJ will be just fine. I was a fan of AJ, so I think it was a good pick up for the Rangers. The White Sox are stuck with Flowers....