General Political Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took it as a joke.

C'mon man, only a select few can joke around here.

With all the inference that happens on this board, it's peculiar that some people can't sniff out a joke when it's thrown out.

"So what you're saying is.....?"

"So you think....?"

Statements that start like the above should be banned. Ha!

Yep screwing the poor, retired and disabled a laugh a minute!  

He made it clear that he supported Social Security, so his comment about cutting it 100% was obviously a joke. 

Why the rush to demonize people who have a slightly different point of view?

C'mon man, only a select few can joke around here.

With all the inference that happens on this board, it's peculiar that some people can't sniff out a joke when it's thrown out.

"So what you're saying is.....?"

"So you think....?"

Statements that start like the above should be banned. Ha!

As joke it was not particular funny.  And goes back to how "cold" a statement like that really is. 

Social Security is a serious topic people depend on it.

He made it clear that he supported Social Security, so his comment about cutting it 100% was obviously a joke. 

By saying this is a joke does not make it any less callous or cold.  In fact it may make it more so.  I am not demonizing him, I am pointing out that saying that cutting all funding to social security is a pretty shitty thing to say, even if you are joking.  That is what I have a problem with.

Words have meaning, you can't back away form controversial statements by claiming that you were only kidding.

Words have meaning, you can't back away form controversial statements by claiming that you were only kidding.

Will Obamacare cover sense of humor restoration surgery?

Honestly, I think that calling an (online) acquaintance a cold motherfucker who wants to trample the poor and elderly is much more offensive than someone joking about cutting Social Security. I suppose people like Colbert should stop making jokes about North Korea because thermonuclear war is actually a terrible thing that could kill millions of people?

Will Obamacare cover sense of humor restoration surgery?

Honestly, I think that calling an (online) acquaintance a cold motherfucker who wants to trample the poor and elderly is much more offensive than someone joking about cutting Social Security. I suppose people like Colbert should stop making jokes about North Korea because thermonuclear war is actually a terrible thing that could kill millions of people?

Now who is putting words in people's mouths?  I never said Jules wanted to trample the poor and elderly, nor do I think he does.  I also did I call him a motherfucker.  I was just saying the statement is cold, mean and callous, that is all.  Did Jules mean it as a joke, probably (but it is you that said it was a joke, not him.)  But it simply is not funny, nor clever.  I could not tell if he was joking or not.  

See when Colbert make jokes they do it better.  If Colbert said I think North Korea should bomb the shit out the US and left it at that, it would not be funny, even if he said it was a joke.  It is a serious matter.

So I guess when someone confronts you on a statement you make on this board I guess you can always use the cop out that it was joke, rather then standing by your statement.   

I think will exercise my 2nd Amendment right today and purchase another firearm.

I've had my eye on this beautiful little stainless steel Sig 9mm for awhile now.

There are some cold motherfucking Wilco fans in this place.  Just sayin.

LouieB

I think this was the "motherfuking" that was being refered to by Hixter.

I think will exercise my 2nd Amendment right today and purchase another firearm.

I've had my eye on this beautiful little stainless steel Sig 9mm for awhile now.

Nice. I've been waiting almost 6 months and this still isn't in stock anywhere. :(

C7H2C3N.jpg

Don't try and bring that to NYS when you get it.

That is an assault rifle.    http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/registration-questionnaire

It's a pump shotgun but I suppose some states might not like how many shells it can hold (8+1).

I've checked handguns and rifles with my bags on occasion but I'm always worried that my flight will make an unscheduled stop in a less-friendly state and I'll wind up behind bars for having a locally banned firearm or magazine.

Guest Jules

It's because I'm generally thought of as an asshole, when really I'm a big pussy who just likes fucking with people for my own personal enjoyment.

Please explain.

I could- of course- be mistaken, but I thought in an earlier economic discussion you had complained about the government commandeering six figures of your yearly income.

Either way, median income is around $43k.  If you make more than that, then by definition you make more than most people.  Yes, it's a narrow majority, but as you look into the $100k area you have to understand that you live in a country, nay, a world populated by people who don't make that much.  It's not a judgement on your quality, just your relative singularity.

I could- of course- be mistaken, but I thought in an earlier economic discussion you had complained about the government commandeering six figures of your yearly income.

You're mistaken. No big deal, however.

Yes, it's a narrow majority, but as you look into the $100k area you have to understand that you live in a country, nay, a world populated by people who don't make that much.  It's not a judgement on your quality, just your relative singularity.

I've lived in places where $100,000 would barely guarantee you a warm bed to sleep in.

I'm not wealthy. I don't think I'm saving enough to retire comfortably. I joined the Army to pay for my wife's medical bills. I raised 2 kids from the age of 18 months through adulthood as a single parent and my ex-wife contributed exactly zero dollars during that time. I racked up big student loans and paid them off as was required. I received food stamps (unexpectedly) and removed myself from the program. 

medianhouseholdincome.jpg

Well, wealthy is kind of a subjective judgement.  If you have a million dollars it's easy to say that you aren't wealthy as you look at a 5 million dollar lifestyle. 

There seems to be some mechanism that makes people feel like the words 'wealthy', 'upper class', or even 'upper middle class' are some kind of slurs.  I find that weird.

The point is perspective.  At this particular moment in my life, my salary puts me almost dead center for median individual income.  With that knowledge comes the fact that if you're at the center peak of a bell curve you have millions of people sloping down the other side into poverty.  Things are easier for me financially, then they are for them.

You might not consider yourself wealthy, but maybe you should.  You sound like you are in a yachting club when you gripe about how social programs are stealing your money and giving it away to poor people.  It sounds callous, and out of touch.

I've lived in places where $100,000 would barely guarantee you a warm bed to sleep in.

Where the hell is that?

100K is not wealthy. Can we stop with that?

yeah 100K is DIRT POOR! I can barely sleep at night thinking of all the folks getting by on 100K. My God the horror their day to day must be. Emptiness with no end in site.

your brain is a pile of puked up spam if you think this way.

Where the hell is that?

made up Republican land to try and play schill games