General Political Thread

Oooooh! Lost highway just called lamrod dumb! Fight! Fight!

Huh?  This perhaps:

I think you would need to be a lot more educated on the topic than ANYONE in this thread to make a conclusive, data-backed statement about just how many people are abusing it these days.

I don't see how that calls me dumb.  I'm not making a data-backed statement, I'm making a personal experience statement based on relatives of mine.  One that works at a free health clinic and see's dozens of patients every day, and another that grossly abuses the system.  I stated that the abuse runs rampant, although the percentage of non-abusers is still much higher.  

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the person Jules was referring to?

Tweedling, you're right that the personal focus detracts from the real interest of the conversation.  I confess I know of no other way to respond to use of personal anecdote.

Argument A: Some people make good money and shouldn't complain about contributions to the safety net.

Response B: I know someone who makes X and it's not enough for their growing children and family needs.

At this point you can be polite and not say anything, because it would be somewhat personal.  Or you can kind of wonder the choices someone has made with six figures that have given them license to an emotional coup of a political argument through use of an individual anecdote.

In short, I apologize for sounding judgmental.  Nonetheless, if you don't want to personalize a conversation about policy, then don't use personal details to make an argument. 

I was being goofy and trying to make a point with stupid humor. It's not easy to debate these issues without showing some feeling and passion. We all have our opinions and this should be a place where we can voice them. I don't think what you said is inflammatory, especially compared to some others I've read on here. It's all good fun. Not to mention, I stand to learn something all the time. :)

While we are all fighting on who is poor and not poor and who gets what and their reasoning behind it, this surprising thing slipped under the radar.

The report that has been used by Paul Ryan and the GOP "deficit hawks" to justify their austerity measures has found out to be a completely wrong.  

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/04/16/17782034-the-excel-error-heard-round-the-world?lite

So how can the "deficit hawks" justify their purposed budget and deep cuts?  The facts are not on their side.

I was being goofy and trying to make a point with stupid humor. It's not easy to debate these issues without showing some feeling and passion. We all have our opinions and this should be a place where we can voice them. I don't think what you said is inflammatory, especially compared to some others I've read on here. It's all good fun. Not to mention, I stand to learn something all the time. :)

Me too.

is there anyone dumber than Rand Paul (Idiot) Kentucky?

I'd like to talk to them about their financial strategies.  Have them give me a call.

That is nothing but a 100 percent LIE from Jules. Just that and nothing more. Noone just gets by on 90K. Its an insult to anyone really getting by.

That is nothing but a 100 percent LIE from Jules. Just that and nothing more. Noone just gets by on 90K. Its an insult to anyone really getting by.

Well, Jules said "they" were stupid - Some people may be underwater on their mortgage - lost their job and can't unload their house, add on credit cards, school loans, car payments, etc......."It's hard times for an honest man".

Guest Jules

is there anyone dumber than Rand Paul (Idiot) Kentucky?

Not lying. 100% true.

I would like to applaud the strength and courage of the US Senate not to cow-tow to the 90% of the American people who wanted background checks, but rather listen to the NRA, because we all know that they are looking out for Americans and their rights.  

I say good job to you US Senate, you are a governmental body that is truly the envy of the rest of the world.  

I would like to applaud the strength and courage of the US Senate not to cow-tow to the 90% of the American people who wanted background checks

The poll surveyed a whopping 1,772 people and all it asked was if the respondent supported background checks for individual-to-individual sales at gun shows. Government figures show that an insignificant 0.7% of criminals purchased their firearm at a gun show. The failed legislation wouldn't have done a thing to "save our children." 

I'd like to see a poll that asks if respondents are aware that every new gun sold in the United States already requires a background check. I suspect that non- gun owners and people who live in certain areas of the country are completely unaware of this fact.

I'd like to see a poll that asks if respondents are aware that every new gun sold in the United States already requires a background check. I suspect that non- gun owners and people who live in certain areas of the country are completely unaware of this fact.

You keep saying that like it means something.  That is great, I am glad every new gun sale requires a background check.  But every "used" gun sale does not.  

Now I am not a gun owner, but if I was, I would want to know the person I sold my gun to is not a criminal or mentally ill.  Why wouldn't you want to know that?  For your own safety if nothing else.  It boggles my mind.  

The poll surveyed a whopping 1,772 people and all it asked was if the respondent supported background checks for individual-to-individual sales at gun shows.

You do know how polls work, right?  1,772 is a very common sample size for all polls and a good predictor of the nation as a whole.   Just because you don't like the results of a poll you don't need to attack the methods.  Apparently you have forgotten the accuracy of the polls prior to the 2012 election.

But hey the US Senate said they would much rather listen to the NRA then the American people.  It is representative democracy at work.  Congratulations.  The NRA should be proud of itself.      

Now I am not a gun owner, but if I was, I would want to know the person I sold my gun to is not a criminal or mentally ill.  Why wouldn't you want to know that?  For your own safety if nothing else.  It boggles my mind.

I don't worry about it because only 0.7% of criminals purchased their guns at gun shows. 80% of the weapons on the street were stolen and/or purchased illegally on the street and only a fool would think that such criminals would suddenly feel compelled to undergo a background check that they would surely fail. 

Here's something to chew on: tens of thousands of people fail existing background checks every year. How many are prosecuted? Forty or 50. It's a farce.

II am proud to say that both Illinois Senators, one Democratic and one Republican have F ratings with the NRA.

The other day I was talking to a friend.  I guess you guys who want unfettered guns can have all you want if you give us gay marriage, and  legal pot,  and real immigration reform.  Meanwhile more thousands of people will have to die before Congress takes some common sense gun ownership reform.  So go ahead and keep killing people for the foreseeable future while the rest of us get on with our lives. 

In the immortal words of Wilco "I don't care anymore."

LouieB

II am proud to say that both Illinois Senators, one Democratic and one Republican have F ratings with the NRA.

And how are gun crimes in Chicago these days? Still in the running for Murder City USA?

So go ahead and keep killing people for the foreseeable future while the rest of us get on with our lives.

If you think that legal, responsible gun owners are the ones to blame for the nation's gun crime you're hopelessly uninformed.

If you think that legal, responsible gun owners are the ones to blame for the nation's gun crime you're hopelessly uninformed.

Keep in mind, Louie thinks that enlisting in the armed services is using the government saftey net.

I'm glad that junk bill died.

Here's something to chew on: tens of thousands of people fail existing background checks every year. How many are prosecuted? Forty or 50. It's a farce.

I am not sure what you are trying to get at.  If tens of thousands people fail existing background checks, did they still get guns?  If not then the background checks worked didn't they?  So that is a good thing.  If these tens of thousands of people got guns after failing background checks maybe the NRA should stop actively weakening the laws we currently have.  So yeah it is a farce, but look at what organization is making it a farce.

Also is it illegal to fail a background check?  I wasn't aware of that.  Your statement is confusing.  

I don't worry about it because only 0.7% of criminals purchased their guns at gun shows.

Ok whatever helps you sleep at night.  Myself, knowing the awesome power and the potential damage a gun could cause (though not an owner I have fired several guns, in hunting and at ranges, and taken several gun safety classes), I would want to make sure 100% of the people that I sold a gun to is not a criminal or mentally ill.  I don't know if I could live with myself if a gun I had sold was used in a murder or crime.  But I guess you are made of tougher stuff then me.  

So you got your wish, the Senate listened to the 8-10% of Americans and said background checks are stupid, we are ok with selling guns to criminals (even if the likelihood is very small).  Aces to you and the gun lobby!   :thumbup

With all due respect to armed services - I know three young people (18-19 year old men) who recently joined the service because of the net that is provided - they know the risks, of course. Patriotism is playing a part in their decision, but it was not the main reason.

So... every year background checks prevent tens of thousands of unqualified folks from buying guns from licensed gun dealers. I wonder how many of those folks then say, "Oh, well - can't buy a gun from a brick-and-mortar licensed gun dealer. No gun for me, I guess."

Can someone help me wrap my mind aroung how joining the armed services is now a social program or saftey net.

The last time I checked when you signed the enlistment contract, the Government essentially owned you for the term and can assign you to do whatever they see fit.

I don't think that occurs in any of the other programs, i.e.. MA, unemployment, Section 8, etc.

I don't get the correlation.

I think the perspective is that it draws people in who have no other means of attaining a higher education.  They offer their services, the government (hopefully) pays out as promised.  I can see on one hand how that is taking advantage of a public sponsored program, but on the other that strikes me more as being publicly employed (in a pretty intense way) than receiving a handout.

no other means of attaining a higher education.  

There's no such thing as not having the means of obtaining a higher education, (see student loans, grants, etc).  Unless you mean not having the brains of obtaining a higher education, then I suppose you have a point.  

There are many reasons to sign up with Uncle Sam. My father joined the Army because he flunked out of college and didn't have many prospects other than digging ditches for the Detroit Gas Co. (and figured he would get drafted anyway). I would assume the spectrum of reasons to join would range from "Gung Ho" to "Meh - there's nothing else going on in my life." Who cares? If you served, that's an awesome badge that nobody can take away.