Jeff Tweedy - May 16, 2003 - Martyr's, Chicago IL

While we are talking about old shows that we like, I was not at this particular solo show, but I have to admit is is my favorite Wilco-related recording of any type. For me, it is the perfect mix of songs, the perfect 'Wilco Era' and I really love the solo acoustic arrangements. For those who have not heard this one, do yourself a favor and download it from O&B. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Anyone else like this one?

Jeff Tweedy
May 16, 2003
Martyr's, Chicago IL

Source: Earthworks SR 77's > Graham-Patten DMIC-20 (44.1 kHz) > 
Sony TCD-D10proII 

Transfer: Tascam DA-20mkII > Delta DiO 2496 > HD > Sound Forge 6.0 (noise 
reduction plugin to remove noisy ventilation system noise) > CD Wave (tracking) 
> Sound Forge 6.0 (fades and 2 sec. silence added to d1t01 and d2t13) > 
mkw ACT (.shn)

Disc 1
01 My Words
02 At Least That's What You Said
03 (?) - new song
04 Muzzle Of Bees
05 Be Not So Fearful 
06 -Stage Banter-
07 Remember The Mountain Bed
08 Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
09 I'm The Man Who Loves You
10 Airline To Heaven 
11 You're Really Gone (?) -Anodyne-era song fragment
12 Millionaire 
13 Heavy Metal Drummer 

Disc 2
01 Dear Employer 
02 Misunderstood (w/ Frere Jacques intro)
03 Poor Places 
04 More Like The Moon 
05 Theologians 
06 A Shot in the Arm 
07 -Encore Break-
08 Company in My Back 
09 Hummingbird 
10 "Being There"-era song 
11 War on War 
12 Kickin' Television 
13 I'm A Wheel

Notes: If you know the names of the new songs please contact the Timeline Chick -
dixiecupdrinker@earthlink.net

I listened to bits and pieces of this yesterday, and it propelled me to listen to More Like the Moon studio version for the first time. How I've gone this long, I don't know. FWIW, the "Being There era song" is listed as "A Long Time Ago" on my boot copy.

I listened to bits and pieces of this yesterday, and it propelled me to listen to More Like the Moon studio version for the first time. How I've gone this long, I don't know. FWIW, the "Being There era song" is listed as "A Long Time Ago" on my boot copy.

Yeah, that's my favorite solo show and the BT song is "A Long Time Ago." The "new song" is the AGIB b-side Panthers.

--Mike

That is an awesome setlist, thanks for the tip. My favorite JT solo shows are from the February-March 2001 tour. His guitar sounds especially warm, heavy and resonant on those tapes consistently and regardless of taper/venue. Of course I am partial to the Irving Plaza show. Not only was I there, it was my first time seeing him solo, first time hearing the songs that would become YHF (outside of a couple songs that Wilco debuted in 2000), and remains my favorite setlist of all the times I've seen him solo. It was also my introduction to Ben Kweller who opened up.

• 2 months later...

I think I recall being there, as in I was there.  It was a good show.  Haven't listened to it since.

LouieB

It was a fun night, that I definitely remember. Wasn't it this show where he played Old Maid, or is my memory just failing me? I don't see it on the setlist above or the one on Wilcobase, so apparently not, but I could've sworn it was at this show...

As far as "Long Time Ago," I believe there's two different songs with a similar title — one is the "Long Time Ago" from the Golden Smog Another Fine Day record and then there's "A Long TIme Ago," which I believe was the Being There-era fragment that was played at this Martyrs' show with these lyrics:

A long time ago

In a place not far from here

We used to drink beer

And play rock 'n' roll

In a town off Route 3

With one cop on the beat

That's where I learned

All I ever wanted to be

But now my life has changed

In oh so many ways

I find more missing

Every day

And I long for those days

When I laid waste

To anything

And everyone

In my way

So maybe that clears up any confusion?

It was a fun night, that I definitely remember. Wasn't it this show where he played Old Maid, or is my memory just failing me? I don't see it on the setlist above or the one on Wilcobase, so apparently not, but I could've sworn it was at this show...

As far as "Long Time Ago," I believe there's two different songs with a similar title — one is the "Long Time Ago" from the Golden Smog Another Fine Day record and then there's "A Long TIme Ago," which I believe was the Being There-era fragment that was played at this Martyrs' show with these lyrics:

But now my life has changed

In oh so many ways

I find more missing

Every day

Sounds like mix of a few borrowed lines from "Help!" and a teaser for "Theologians."