Have an original pressing of the White Album to sell?

"Rutherford has a unique vinyl collection. He only collects the Beatles first pressing of  The White Album... Chang is creating a record store that stocks only White Albums. But rather than selling the albums, he buys more from anyone willing to part with an original pressing in any condition."

More at: http://www.dustandgrooves.com/rutherford-chang-we-buy-white-albums/

"Q: You play it every day, non- stop. What are you trying to achieve?

A: While at Recess, I’m listening to and recording the albums and documenting the covers. The albums I listen to get put up on the “staff picks” wall. At the end of the exhibition, I will press a new double-LP made from all the recordings layered upon each other. It will be like playing a few hundred copies of the White Album at once, each scratched and warped in its own way."

Exhibition runs through March 9 at Recess Art Space, 41 Grand Street, New Yorkhttp://www.recessart.org/activities/6753

Read about this the other day and my jaw dropped. I'd rather own one of the pressings than sell it to him...

Yes. Why is he amassing all the original pressings? There should be a rule that no more than 10 original pressings should be together at one time... or should have to take different flights.

I would let him borrow mine for the exhibit, but I would want it back.

I wish I could collect white albums for a living. Is he a trust fund kid or something?

Doesn't seem like an uber rich hobby: he's accumulated almost 700 copies since age 15, some donated, and he's never paid more than $20 for a copy. At most he's probably sinking several hundred dollars a year into this, but that seems pretty mild when you think of compulsive collectors.

I usually think of these types of collections as a chore, but I'd really like to see this one.

Doesn't seem like an uber rich hobby: he's accumulated almost 700 copies since age 15, some donated, and he's never paid more than $20 for a copy. At most he's probably sinking several hundred dollars a year into this, but that seems pretty mild when you think of compulsive collectors.

I usually think of these types of collections as a chore, but I'd really like to see this one.

He has a storefront in Soho for this, has to be more than several hundred dollars a year for that.

I love the example he has of a White Album that someone painted white, as if the owner thought his copy wasn't white enough. It also got me thinking about the different approaches you could take to collecting White Albums - you could go for low-numbered copies (really low numbers can sell for thousands of dollars, though), or if you're really nuts you could try & collect consecutively-numbered copies. 

I listened to a little of it, got bored and moved on...

This is super cool... Side 1X100 is a pretty trippy listen.

I liked it.  It was kind of like a really, really good cover version in that it brought out things I hadn't heard or paid much attention to in the original.  I love the album itself so the combination of familiarity and newness was nice.  The weirdness of the original was kinda fresh again.  "Trippy" is a good term.  Worth a good listen with headphones or earbuds. 

I have to admit I kinda dig it in a first-world artsy-fartsy way. Not to mention that the White Album has always been my favorite Beatles record. I don't think I sell my numbered copy, though.

7cd8857e836211e297b922000a1fa527_7.jpg