Steely Dan-Red Rocks..anyone going?

So on my bucket list is seeing a concert at Red Rocks. My opportunity happens this summer. I will be on a family vacation in Colorado in August and my wife decided to indulge me for the evening. She is staying behind with my son (too young for shows) for the night and I am going to see Steely Dan at the Red Rocks. Anyone per chance going? Any pointers about Red Rocks to know?

:guitar

Elaborate tailgating before the show in the parking lot is the norm.  Although for Steely Dan, it might be a lot of chardonnay and brie instead of Sierra Nevada and kind veggie burritos.

Elaborate tailgating before the show in the parking lot is the norm.  Although for Steely Dan, it might be a lot of chardonnay and brie instead of Sierra Nevada and kind veggie burritos.

Ahh prob wont tailgate or drink too much since I am going solo..I do like cheese though :stunned

I respect the guys as musicians enormously (representin' my alma mater of Berklee), but never have been able to get into their music... Have fun though.  Hope to go to Red Rocks someday as well. 

Lots of hiking to be done around the venue (its in a park). Don't get wasted on acid and try to climb on the rocks, though! :) (Sadly, someone actually died doing that at a Dead show some years back, apparently). Its lots of stairs to get up to the venue from the main parking lots, people get winded at that altitude.

Its a beautiful spot, almost everyone loves it there. I've been four times and the worst weather I've encountered was a windy night for Wilco in 2012 and it made the "ghost" lights sway in the breeze in a really cool way. But you can get crazy rain and lightning and it can change suddenly, so lots of people prepare for that with ponchos and stuff.

They sell cans of Dale's Pale Ale in cans from dudes walking around the venue, that's pretty cool, I think.

The rows of seats (wooden bench seats only) are really wide with a lot of space to stand and dance. I think that's a big part of why Dead and jamband fans love that place.

Sounds like a great night. Steely Dan always have a tight tight band and do their songs justice.

So on my bucket list is seeing a concert at Red Rocks. My opportunity happens this summer. I will be on a family vacation in Colorado in August and my wife decided to indulge me for the evening. She is staying behind with my son (too young for shows) for the night and I am going to see Steely Dan at the Red Rocks. Anyone per chance going? Any pointers about Red Rocks to know?

:guitar

You get general admission or reserved?  If general admission I would recommend getting there early and parking at the very top.  There is a great little winding trail that leads right to the front of the stage and you can get good seats.  General admission is usually at the front of the stage and if you miss out on those you are stuck way in the back.  Although the view is nice, you are pretty far away and the sound is not always great up there.  If reserved then it does not really matter. Usually the middle sections are for reserved.  I saw Steely there a few years ago and unfortunately it rained like hell so be prepared for that.  They had to stop in the middle of Hey Nineteen and back everybody in the band up farther under the stage to avoid getting wet.  Great show though.  I'm going to kick myself for not going.  They do let you bring in food and water, and blankets to sit on usually, but it's up to the artist so it's worth calling or checking the website in advance.  Kings of Leon did not allow blankets or water when I saw them but that is the rare case.  I have been to tons of red rocks shows and it never gets old.  I love how there is tons of space in every row so it's easy to move around and get in and out to your seat.  It's worth going to the top and checking out the museum/gift shop.  There is also a restaurant in there if you are interested.

Anyways, enjoy! 

I got a ticket that seems to be GA but says reserved seating rows 1-47 so I am not sure where I'll be..I am going more for the expierence I guess then the sound for this time so I don't care where I sit or stand. Thanks everyone for the pointers. It def sounds like a great place to expierence nature and see a show. I am very excited!

I saw REM/Wilco show in 2003 - it was in September, so we figured it would get chilly at night , but we didn't quite expect mid 40's, though - luckily we were pretty prepared. Saw lots and lots of people with flasks...

Great place to see a show. We drove up to the venue the day before the show to check it out, the venue was wide open to the public - people were using the venue stairs to exercise as I was to doing my best Bono impersonation on the stage. 

Here's the best tip I can give on Red Rocks that not a lot of folks seem to know about: To avoid the steep hike to get into the venue, there is a free shuttle that starts in the lower lot and brings you to the top. This is for every show. Once at the very top, you have a minimal set of stairs to scale and you are at the top of the venue.

Also: The lower lot is the Shakedown lot, but won't be happening at a Steely Dan show....

• 2 months later...

If you're looking to make an honest buck swing by he dollar store and stock up on rain ponchos before headed up. $5/poncho when the rain hits and everybody's happy.

Great idea but I will not  be attending the event.

• 1 month later...