I am traveling over in the UK and Europe for the month and while in London I was introduced to a musician named Wilko Johnson. He is very influential here and is said to have had a big influence on the English punk scene in the 70s. Knowing how knowledgable Jeff is regarding music, I wonder if his name had anything to do with the name of the band...

There is a great article about him in the current issue of MOJO.

Until I read the article, I had no idea he plays the executioner Ilyn Payne in Game of Thrones.  Seems so obvious now as he is a pretty unique looking individual.

Expecting his death announcement any day now as he was diagnosed with just months to live awhile back.  Whether he had any influence on Tweedy I have no idea.  I first learned about him from reading an Andy Gill article. 

I don't think there's any connection between the Wilco band name & Wilko Johnson...but I bet Jeff digs him. And another shout out to check out the documentary "Oil City Confidential"
This is my absolute fave Wilko/Dr. Feelgood moment..."She Does It Right"!!!

• 5 months later...

Wilko Johnson, legendary guitarist with Dr Feelgood, and Roger Daltrey, lead singer of rock giants The Who are to release a joint album ‘Going Back Home’ on the world famous Chess label which has been resurrected especially for the purpose. The album features 11 tracks, ten of which are Wilko originals from both his Dr Feelgood days and solo years, whilst the sole cover on the album is a version of Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited classic ‘Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window’.

29mnp5j.jpg

• 7 months later...

More great news, the Wilco/Wilko confusion looks likely to continue for a while longer after all

Guitarist Wilko Johnson said he has been “cured” of cancer a couple of years after being told he only had months to live, upstaging double prize-winners Kasabian at the Q awards. The Dr Feelgood star picked up the Q icon award at the ceremony in central London and spoke rousingly about his recent pancreatic cancer, getting a standing ovation from the audience.

“The beginning of last year I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told it was inoperable and told I had 10 months to live,” said Johnson. “I thought blimey, we’d better organise a farewell tour. Somehow at the end of the tour I was still on my feet and we got to FujiRocks festival in Japan. It was pouring with rain but as we walked out on stage, the clouds opened and the sun came shining down and I remember thinking, this might be the last concert I ever do. And that’s quite a kick I can tell you.”

He continued: “But then came along this doctor, called Charlie Chan, and he was curious why I still wasn’t dead. So I went down to Addenbrooks hospital in Cambridge, and they ran all the tests again and told me they thought they could operate on it. And they did it, man. It was an 11-hour operation, they took this tumour out of me that weighed three kilos. I was carrying that thing on stage with me every night. But they got the whole thing out of me. They cured me. So I’m hoping to get all my strength back soon and get back on the road. So the moral of this story is, you never know what’s going to happen.”

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/22/q-awards-wilko-johnson-kasabian-kate-bush-cancer

Doctors aren't Gods. They're tradesmen.