Margaret Cho performed w/ Glenn and John in Chicago

Sarah Silverman is an acquired taste and she is also sometimes very good and sometimes not. Louie CK is highly conceptual and totally offensive to many people and not to some people's taste, but clearly brilliant. Hey even 45 years after his death Lenny Bruce is still highly offensive to some people. Cringing is okay in some cases, but cringing and NOT getting a laugh is a problem. I have seen some of Cho's stand-up and it might be funnier in person than on HBO. Some people were simply funny all the time, but those are the true geniuses such as George Carlin and Richard Pryor. Everyone else is a matter of taste (as were they I suppose.)

LouieBK

Guest Don Draper

How is Louie CK's work conceptual? Honest question.

And I agree with Atticus about George Carlin. Not necessarily the description - I don't know that he was miserable - but I find his work to be unfunny.

George Carlin:  a miserable, miserable man talking about how miserable everything is.  never got it.

Carlin at Carnegie was incredible . So were his parodies of AM radio and daytime television he did in the 60's. They may seem cheesy by today's standards, but were ahead of their time back them.

I don't find her terribly funny myself.  I want to like her, but I don't.  I cannot stand Sarah Silverman either.  I think I would enjoy Louis CK more if people didn't hold up every insight of his to be the New Great Truth about America.

Well let's not get too over excited about LouieCK being all that profound. He is funny as hell, but I don't know that he rises to the level of a George Carlin or Richard Pryor both of whom did have a lot to say about America.

With the proliferation of stand up these last couple decades there are lots of folks trying to be funny (and telling basically the same stories) and not being all that funny. No matter how you feel about LouieCK, he is pretty funny. (although not to women usually)

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

"We're rocking out this week with Glenn Kotche and John stirratt of the band WILCO. Backstage before a show in Chicago we talk about life on the road, the Americananrama festival, great merch and our overall love of the band WILCO."

https://soundcloud.com/margaretcho/motglenkjohns-output

What a fun interview. I loved their comments about Dylan and the Americanarama tour. Sounds like MMJ and Wilco just decided to make it a Rolling Thunder-ish tour with or without Bob's participation. Good for them!

"We're rocking out this week with Glenn Kotche and John stirratt of the band WILCO. Backstage before a show in Chicago we talk about life on the road, the Americananrama festival, great merch and our overall love of the band WILCO."

https://soundcloud.com/margaretcho/motglenkjohns-output

I'm not necessarily the biggest Margaret Cho fan, but this was pretty awesome. And there's a Wilca mention! Talk about old-school VC. :wave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Margert's podcast, Monsters of Talk, from last week features Mikae and was recorded back in December. It is about 40 minutes and I found Mikael to be very entertaining in it. He talks mostly about Wilco and specifically about the owl and touring on Wilco's bus. Thought I would share in case others wanted to check it out.