• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for a few minor details (green ears from paint? really?), I loved the ending and thought it perfect.

All along, this was a story about character arc and growth, not a cliche police procedural. And that is how it ended: with a true personal epiphany from a tortured soul. All the red herrings about yellow kings, five men, Maggie, black stars, antler crowns were not fully explained leaving it to the imagination of the audience to fill in the blanks. That is the mark of true great art: the audience brings their own perspectives and takes what they need from it.

With that said, I ate up all the weird fiction, circular imagery, conspiracy theories, etc.This makes for a more participatory experience. But, ultimately, this was a story about Marty and Rust. And that is what gets resolved. Like real life, the easy answers are front and center and under your nose (lawnmower guy) while the true criminals (the high up 'sprawl' of elites) goes unpunished.

Plus, the show always had a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat. The chase thru the creepy caverns with the shoe chandeliers and piles of kid clothes was harrowing to say the least. Gripping television.

I understand why someone might be let down by the end. Those that wanted tuttle (and everyone else in The Video) in handcuffs at the end, but we (the audience) are let down just like Rust and Marty (very meta). Time is a circle: Marty kills Reggie to prevent further investigation; Rust kills Errol to prevent further investigation. Life goes on and on. 

Except for a few minor details (green ears from paint? really?), I loved the ending and thought it perfect.

All along, this was a story about character arc and growth, not a cliche police procedural. And that is how it ended: with a true personal epiphany from a tortured soul. All the red herrings about yellow kings, five men, Maggie, black stars, antler crowns were not fully explained leaving it to the imagination of the audience to fill in the blanks. That is the mark of true great art: the audience brings their own perspectives and takes what they need from it.

With that said, I ate up all the weird fiction, circular imagery, conspiracy theories, etc.This makes for a more participatory experience. But, ultimately, this was a story about Marty and Rust. And that is what gets resolved. Like real life, the easy answers are front and center and under your nose (lawnmower guy) while the true criminals (the high up 'sprawl' of elites) goes unpunished.

Plus, the show always had a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat. The chase thru the creepy caverns with the shoe chandeliers and piles of kid clothes was harrowing to say the least. Gripping television.

I understand why someone might be let down by the end. Those that wanted tuttle (and everyone else in The Video) in handcuffs at the end, but we (the audience) are let down just like Rust and Marty (very meta). Time is a circle: Marty kills Reggie to prevent further investigation; Rust kills Errol to prevent further investigation. Life goes on and on.

Nice. Thoughtful summary of a great tv show.

It looked to me like in the show-down with lawnmower guy, Marty got an axe in the chest.  Then he stayed conscious while waiting for help and didn't appear to have major torso bandages in the hospital. Wonder what gives with that?

It was a hammer/hatchet (not an axe) that looked to get stuck in his upper rib cage. Didn't notice the bandages or lack thereof.

I get that the major plot line in the show was the relationship between Marty and Rust. however, I thought the end should have taken place when they were about to be rescued. just my opinion.

I think that would have been more effective, too, and more in keeping with the mood of the series. The end was a little more tidy and warm/fuzzy than I expected. Having said that, I was glad they both survived the final ordeal.

I didn't mind the warm and fuzzy ending as much as how they ultimately tracked down Reggie. So the Yellow King has green ears in that one girl's drawing, which happened to resemble the color of some house on file, the owner of which (who's now a old woman) remembers when it was painted 20+ years ago, and through her tax returns they find the name of the painting co, which had a business license on file, which led them right to Carcosa?

I mean, I'm all for suspension of disbelief but that was some incredible (literally; not credible) shit there. :lol

I can't praise this show enough in any unique way right now, but one thing that has stuck with me since the finale is the show's inspired choice to make the villain a hillbilly who breaks from that character type's conventions in such a fundamental and jarring way: despite appearances and actions he was obviously highly intellectual, instead of being an as-expected finger-in-the-nose hick watching Family Feud (he prefers Hitchcock, even). Made him so very real and at least ten times as disturbing.

When that hammer took down Marty I lost any notion of possibly feeling disappointment in the ending. That sealed it. In Carcosa they both were engulfed by the evil that snuck into every moment of the show - what more could I ask for. I love that they lived and came out on the other end.

The green paint though, yeah. Yoy.

I didn't mind the warm and fuzzy ending as much as how they ultimately tracked down Reggie. So the Yellow King has green ears in that one girl's drawing, which happened to resemble the color of some house on file, the owner of which (who's now a old woman) remembers when it was painted 20+ years ago, and through her tax returns they find the name of the painting co, which had a business license on file, which led them right to Carcosa?

I mean, I'm all for suspension of disbelief but that was some incredible (literally; not credible) shit there. :lol

I see what you mean, but do we really want to see them at their desks for hours on end, trying to make something click, going through file after file, to see how long it took to arrive at the eureka moment about "hey wait a second, green ears..."

I really liked the way it ended. I'm glad it didn't end with the scene when they were about to be rescued, because I didn't expect Cohl to survive such a serious abdominal wound. And I don't like something ending with ambiguity about who lives or dies.

I had a feeling that the Marty's daughter issue was a bit of a red herring. Maybe the whole thing just hit so close to the bone for him because he has a young daughter. I have never had kids, but I notice that middle aged men with daughters tend to think it's unacceptable for anyone to ever think about having sex with one...even though that is not how life works. Of course, I understood why he was so pissed about the "older" guys having a menage a trois with his daughter, but his reaction was over the top...not to mention completely illegal.

I think the ending was fitting.  Rust had a spiritual experience.  It changed him to some extent but we're not meant to know exactly to what extent.  Rust and Marty survived a near-fatal experience together, which has resulted in a different dynamic in their relationship, but they still annoy one another.  It all sits great with me.

it's not that it doesn't sit well with me. I watched it again last night and I'm fine with the ending. I guess I just wasn't expecting it to end that way, which is good I guess. unpredictable as the entire season was. I really love it and hope they renew for another season. I would be interested in a season with the two detectives that interviewed Marty and Rust. if not, then I'm very curious to see which actors they will pick next. it will be a difficult act to follow, that's for sure.

it's not that it doesn't sit well with me. I watched it again last night and I'm fine with the ending. I guess I just wasn't expecting it to end that way, which is good I guess. unpredictable as the entire season was. I really love it and hope they renew for another season. I would be interested in a season with the two detectives that interviewed Marty and Rust. if not, then I'm very curious to see which actors they will pick next. it will be a difficult act to follow, that's for sure.

There's definitely a 2nd season coming up.

http://www.thewrap.com/true-detective-know-season-2/

BBC has a program called Broadchurch where they solve a mystery one season then move on to a new mystery next season. It's not nearly as dark or well acted though.

Not as dark, yes.  Not was well acted? I got to disagree with you on that one.  David Tennant was brilliant.

Also it looks like American audiences will get to see it soon as well, as they are remaking it for American audiences.  And David Tennant is playing the same role (not character since I think he will be American in the show.)  Also Skyler (Anna Gunn) from Breaking Bad is in it as well.  http://screenrant.com/first-image-gracepoint-broadchurch-remake-david-tennant/

I really liked the way it ended. I'm glad it didn't end with the scene when they were about to be rescued, because I didn't expect Cohl to survive such a serious abdominal wound. And I don't like something ending with ambiguity about who lives or dies.

I had a feeling that the Marty's daughter issue was a bit of a red herring. Maybe the whole thing just hit so close to the bone for him because he has a young daughter. I have never had kids, but I notice that middle aged men with daughters tend to think it's unacceptable for anyone to ever think about having sex with one...even though that is not how life works. Of course, I understood why he was so pissed about the "older" guys having a menage a trois with his daughter, but his reaction was over the top...not to mention completely illegal.

"Play a man's game, pay a man's price."

I honestly liked how real it was.  Fans were speculating all over the place, seeing more then was there.  The whole thing came to a mentally ill individual.  Not a mystic cult, not space aliens, not a cosmic interconnectedness of all things.  A simple normal answer.  That is the way real life is.  It was fantastic.