Sophie's Choice (music edition)

See, I look at option #2 to include all the shitty music currently, in the past, and in the future that I have no desire to listen to. If I'm forced to listen to Miley Cyrus and Garth Brooks and Creed and other past, present, and future turds then It'd suck. Given this potential scenario, I'll keep listening to what I know and like.....

Nobody would be forced to listen to anything.  You would, however, need to have an unjaded approach towards discovering new and old music you enjoy but didn't already know about. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This choice was meant to be gamed. Any time an old recording gets remastered and re-released, it's a new recording.

Is throwing a reference to suicide in a hypothetical about music really the best move?

This thread is named after a movie in which a mother gets to decide which of her two children is going to get gassed, so... yes?

This choice was meant to be gamed. Any time an old recording gets remastered and re-released, it's a new recording.

no, that loophole doesn't exist in my premise.

old recordings, live recordings, covers of songs you've already heard - off limits in scenario #2.

the only exception to that is if you are a musician....clearly you've got to be able to play (and listen, i would imagine) your own compositions. i don't want people to go bankrupt here.

The results so far aren't too surprising. There's a reason oldies formats on the radio (top hits from the '80s & '90s!) are so prevalent. And why most of the artists discussed in this thread are well beyond their prime.

So the premise is that any music I have heard before - in any incarnation - is off limits for scenario #2. In other words, if I have heard it before, I will never get to hear it again.

If I have never heard it before - and might or might not like it - then I can hear it in the future. Like that?

This thread is named after a movie in which a mother gets to decide which of her two children is going to get gassed, so... yes?

I hadn't thought about it from that angle.  Fair point.

So the premise is that any music I have heard before - in any incarnation - is off limits for scenario #2. In other words, if I have heard it before, I will never get to hear it again.

If I have never heard it before - and might or might not like it - then I can hear it in the future. Like that?

no, it's an arbitrary line in the sand, with time zero starting today.

say you've never heard Can's Ege Bamyasi. well, if you choose scenario #2, you can listen to it 24-7, but (I'm guessing) that songs from _Apostrophe'_ would be off limits, including previously unissued live recordings, demos, or covers from other bands.

I'm still sticking with #2.  If you choose #1, you'd probably get to a point within a few years in which you'd never get to go to any more concerts.

that's an interesting angle i hadn't considered.

so what happens if you choose #2, and a band you really like is touring on a new record they just put out? when they play something from their back catalog, you'd be enveloped in a cone of silence. ok, let's go w/ that.

that's an interesting angle i hadn't considered.

so what happens if you choose #2, and a band you really like is touring on a new record they just put out? when they play something from their back catalog, you'd be enveloped in a cone of silence. ok, let's go w/ that.

There are definitely some pretty bizarre science fiction scenarios that would arise once concerts are added to the mix.   I'm sure a lot of science fiction writing is based on flimsier premises, though.

no.

All the more reason to go with option 2.

The frustrating thing about practicing an instrument would be wondering if you didn't hear the note you just played is because your bass isn't plugged in properly, or is it because it's a tune I haven't heard before.

If I picked #1, and I started playing Yesterday on my violin, would I be able to hear it if i was playing it poorly?

What if you don't remember if you heard something before? I have a ton of classic jazz on my iTunes that I would not be able to recognize because I've only heard it once, and that was like three years ago. I smoked an awful lot of pot in high school, so my memory is a little sketchy, you know...

What if you don't remember if you heard something before? I have a ton of classic jazz on my iTunes that I would not be able to recognize because I've only heard it once, and that was like three years ago. I smoked an awful lot of pot in high school, so my memory is a little sketchy, you know...

I don't think you would have to self-police it. It's magic. If you've heard it before, it would just be silence. At least, that's how I'm interpreting it.

Heck, I've got about 52,000 songs on there. I guess it would make sense to just delete it all, then, and replace it with stuff I have never heard before...

Yep, option #1 is looking better by the second. The only Dead tunes available to me would be crap like Wave to Wind and Samba in the Rain. :lol

The frustrating thing about practicing an instrument would be wondering if you didn't hear the note you just played is because your bass isn't plugged in properly, or is it because it's a tune I haven't heard before.

If I picked #1, and I started playing Yesterday on my violin, would I be able to hear it if i was playing it poorly?

anyone playing "Yesterday" on an instrument other than a contra-bassoon will struck by lightning instantly.

anyone playing "Yesterday" on an instrument other than a contra-bassoon will struck by lightning instantly.

Would one at least be given some kind of notice like "your stereo is working properly - but because you chose option #1, you are not able to hear this song because you had not listened to it before the date you made the choice. Too bad." so they don't have to waste time checking and re-checking all the wires, going to the repair shop, returning the CD for a refund, etc?