Sophie's Choice (music edition)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My knee jerk reaction, go with the devil you know: music I already know. There is so much great stuff in my collection that I don't ever need to hear anything new to be content.

Of course I do love discovering new stuff, and am doing so constantly, so the choice would still be very hard to make. But I'm sticking with my first choice, as the thought of never hearing The Beatles, Sly Stone, Big Star, etc would be too hard to bear.

I would go with #2. Easy choice. It's how I currently listen to music for the most part. And I would be much more comfortable with the mere memory of music I used to love than with the thought that there was so much music I would be missing from that point on.

It wouldn't be easy, but I'd choose 2.   I would have said the opposite five years ago, but I feel like I'm in a golden age of discovering amazing new music and old music I had never heard before.  Plus, I still have a pretty good memory, so the music I already know and love wouldn't really go away.

Being a little closer to the grim reaper than many of you, and with a buttload of music in my memory and in my iTunes, I could happily live with just what I've heard so far. I would miss discovering new music, but I can't imagine not being able to hear my old favorites again.

#1...When you get older you start to look back more. I wan to be wistful and nostalgic in my fading years and force the old music on anybody around me who'll listen.

Case in point: last night I heard 100 Years Ago by the Stones for the first time in what must be twenty years and I used to listen to that record over and over again (on tape) when I was 16. So I played the rest of Goat's Head Soup and it took me back to so many things. I could see my bedroom then, hell I could even smell it. It was very powerful being taken back like this. I'd never give that up.

I'm going to strengthen my opinion that #2 is the only choice for me.  It'd be tough to never hear old favorites again, but taking away any possibility that I would discover great new music, or have a favorite new band ever again is far worse.  Like contemplating suicide level of worse. 

I'm going to strengthen my opinion that #2 is the only choice for me.  It'd be tough to never hear old favorites again, but taking away any possibility that I would discover great new music, or have a favorite new band ever again is far worse.  Like contemplating suicide level of worse. 

It appears we're the only intelligent ones here.

I'm going to strengthen my opinion that #2 is the only choice for me. It'd be tough to never hear old favorites again, but taking away any possibility that I would discover great new music, or have a favorite new band ever again is far worse. Like contemplating suicide level of worse.

Is throwing a reference to suicide in a hypothetical about music really the best move?

See, I look at option #2 to include all the shitty music currently, in the past, and in the future that I have no desire to listen to. If I'm forced to listen to Miley Cyrus and Garth Brooks and Creed and other past, present, and future turds then It'd suck. Given this potential scenario, I'll keep listening to what I know and like.....

See, I look at option #2 to include all the shitty music currently, in the past, and in the future that I have no desire to listen to. If I'm forced to listen to Miley Cyrus and Garth Brooks and Creed and other past, present, and future turds then It'd suck. Given this potential scenario, I'll keep listening to what I know and like.....

that's a really strange way of looking at it. why would you be forced to listen to that stuff just because you haven't already?  do you think you've exhausted the current supply of music that you would enjoy?