• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, question for the Brits: why do you sing Eng-a-land eng-a-land eng-a-land to the tune of Stars and Stripes forever? Is that payback for stealing the tune for our national anthem?

Interesting, I've never thought about that. My only guess would be because the same tune is used for this Scout song - not that your average English football supporter would have been a scout.

http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/be-kind-to-your-web-footed-friends.html

Anyway, I'm Welsh not English, so can roll with them doing well but also enjoy an embarassing defeat. I would not go as far as this though, which is pretty funny - he was at the Italy game too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2663606/Scotland-fan-spotted-Uruguay-fans-celebrating-winner-against-England-named.html

BqhZar0IQAAf9Gp.jpg

Apart from that, most footballers are overpaid tossers, so I have no empathy with them.

However, I am hurting after Wales lost in the narrowest and harshest possible manner in South Africa to the Springboks. It would have been the first time ever. If you want to see a real sport then watch this below.

http://youtu.be/gnPvduXPqA8

Thanks!

Follow-up question: why do Wales, Scotland, England, and N. Ireland each get their own team? (As opposed to just one for the UK?)

Just historical and administrative reasons I guess. There are separate football associations for each country that run their separate leagues - though Berwick play in the Scottish leagues and the best Welsh teams (Cardiff, Swansea, with Wrexham and Newport in the past) play in the English leagues. The rivalry used to be good but its a bit too one sided recently, and there have been exceptional individuals who have lost out by never being able to play at the top,level - most notably George Best, Ryan Giggs, and now Gareth Bale.

I'm going to say that the trend of no European team winning in a N or S America-hosted Cup finals will continue, with the home team beating Argentina.

Also, question for the Brits: why do you sing Eng-a-land eng-a-land eng-a-land to the tune of Stars and Stripes forever? Is that payback for stealing the tune for our national anthem?

We stole the English national anthem for "My Country Tis of Thee".  The Star-Spangled Banner's tune is an old drinking song melody.

Dammit.

Not only did the US blow a great opportunity, but now I'm faced with figuring out how to keep on eye on the US-Germany game that starts at noon ET Thursday.  Those of you, like me, that will be at work during the game, what are your options to tune in?

Hmmmm....{cough} {cough}

I saw the first 20 minutes then went to the Isbell show trying to avoid spoilers.  A friend texted me "Well that sucked!"  Knowing we were down 1-0 already, I feared the worst, so a draw waws kind of a pleasant surprise.  We still have a better chance than not to qualify and that Portugal tie was spectacular, can't really fault the U.S. for much.  Howard played unbelievably.  I hope Klinsmann has some tricks up his sleeve and some good insight into his countrymen for Thursday.  

Something like that happened years ago in the 1980s with Germany v Austria. There was a big stink about it and now both final matches have to start at the same time at least.

"The match was the last game of the first-round Group 2, with Algeria and Chile having played the day before. With the outcome of that match already decided, a win by one or two goals for West Germany would result in both them and Austria qualifying at the expense of Algeria, which had beaten West Germany in the first game"

"After 10 minutes of furious attack, West Germany succeeded in scoring through a goal by Horst Hrubesch. After the goal was scored, the team in possession of the ball often passed between themselves in their own half until an opposition player came into the vicinity of the ball. The ball was then passed back to the goalkeeper. Isolated long balls were played into the opposition's half, with little consequence. For the next 80 minutes there were few serious attempts on goal. The only Austrian player who seemed to make any effort at livening the game up was Walter Schachner, though he had little success."

"A smattering of Algerian fans in the Gijón crowd burned peseta notes to show their suspicions of corruption, while most of the Spaniards in attendance waved hankies throughout the second half in a traditional display of disdain. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/13/1982-world-cup-algeria

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the game was very entertaining. Quality chances by both teams.

Gotze is such a baby-face, and now he's a national hero. Well done.

I believe he replaced Klose in the match, too --- which I thought I was interesting when Gotze scored.

• 10 months later...