• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay go USA.  :usa

If they implement a play clock and a bigger goal, then maybe I'll start watching soccer.

Or, hell, just give more points for scoring.  

Final score: 2 - 1   :yawn

Final score: 14 - 7  :hyper

Easiest way to make soccer more palatable to American tastes: add a blue line like hockey. Offsides is omly called when it is past the blue line. They could implement this in MLS, but it would make it too different from the international game. I get not liking soccer. For me, it's like baseball: long periods of not much, then stunning neauty and athleticism when it all comes together.

long periods of not much, then stunning neauty and athleticism when it all comes together.

I read that as "stunning nudity" and began checking the TV schedule.

Yeah, I definitely respect soccer players as athletes.  Same with basketball.  I'm not a big fan, but they are some of the best athletes in the world.  

I'm serious about my play clock idea though.  Your team can only keep the ball without attempting to score for so long before there's a penalty.. Or even, you can only stay on your side of the field for so long before there's a penalty...  That will stop the redundant kicking back and forth love fests that go on forever.. 

I am not a fan of soccer whatsoever.  I happened to flip on the USA game last night just to check the score, and ended up watching the last 20 minutes or so. 

I have to admit it was interesting and enjoyable to watch.  But I have now officially checked the box on "watch some soccer for 2014", so I doubt I'll watch more.

But hey, go USA!  Everybody loves a winner.

I watched a little bit of the Chile vs. Spain game.  I must say that first goal Chile made was pretty exciting to watch.  The way they kept reverse passing back and forth near the goal, faking Spain out of their shorts.  Pretty impressive.  

I didn't get to watch much yesterday.  About 1/2 of the AUS/NED game.  It seemed like a rugby match.  Very physical.  It's now official that Altidore won't play Sunday.  No surprise, but I was kind of hoping for a miracle recovery.

Mine's Germany.

Mine too. I haven't checked Vegas odds, but the way the handled Portugal they've gotta be the favorite. Anything can happen.  But it's soccer, anything can happen: injury, errant goal. Being a stay-at-home dad during the summer hasn't meant as much soccer as I hoped.  My twins are 9 and are much more active than when they were 5.  Then, they'd go outside or to the basement and play for hours on end.  Now we do "homework" in the morning and usually have outings in the afternoon.  Not nearly as much soccer for me so far as I anticipated.  

I'm going to say that the trend of no European team winning in a N or S America-hosted Cup finals will continue, with the home team beating Argentina.

Also, question for the Brits: why do you sing Eng-a-land eng-a-land eng-a-land to the tune of Stars and Stripes forever? Is that payback for stealing the tune for our national anthem?