Nick Mason and David Gilmour going through the motions with a load of hired guns?

No thanks.

I just think it's fun to have new Floyd on the horizon.  The news report indicates that they might be working with some previously recorded material by Rick Wright.

they're instrumental outtakes from the Division Bell, but some vocals have been added from Gilmour and the backing singer on the tour. i'm not holding my breath, but the official announcement should be out on monday

The last David Gilmour album was actually pretty great.  Not sure how that will contribute into the Pink Floyd sound on this new album.  Hoping for the best though; and a tour.  Even if it's just Dave and Nick, I'd like to see them play some old Pink Floyd tunes together (as someone who has not been to a Pink Floyd show of any kind other than the Roger Waters The Wall tour). 

Whether or not this news interests you personally (I'm firmly in the camp that thinks anything named "Pink Floyd" without Rog lacks a certain integrity) the fact is this news is most certainly blowing up social media and the internet right now. Any word of a Floyd album or tour is always BIG news. Perhaps only topped by Zeppelin rumors.

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks anything named "Pink Floyd" without Rog lacks a certain integrity.

I am in this camp too. I saw a more strongly worded statement in the comments section of one of the articles about this - I believe the expression used was "vacuously trading on the Pink Floyd name for profit" and I kind of agree with that. Then again, I didn't even go for any of the post-Waters stuff, always feeling it was "Pink Floyd Lite."

EDIT: Okay, their Facebook page came up in my news feed, and it says, "Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright."

There is also a story with quotes from Dave Gilmour's wife, saying that she added vocals on some tracks, and Dave later added to those.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/154044/Oops-David-Gilmours-Wife-Leaks-Info-On-Twitter-About-New-Pink-Floyd-Album-

And they are calling that a Pink Floyd album!? Warmed-over sessions from 20 years ago with lyrics and vocals by Polly Samson? Yeah, okay. Pass.

Whether or not this news interests you personally (I'm firmly in the camp that thinks anything named "Pink Floyd" without Rog lacks a certain integrity) the fact is this news is most certainly blowing up social media and the internet right now. Any word of a Floyd album or tour is always BIG news. Perhaps only topped by Zeppelin rumors.

Come by my tent in this camp and we'll crank the live portion of Ummagumma REALLY loud.

there's info here about it below. gilmour will also add vocals to it. there's a 20 minute sample of it - nothing to write home about. the division bell was ok, but this would be only for die-hard fans. my friend's massive fan, so i'll burn a copy from his :lol

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-endless-river-facts/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral

And deprive Gilmour and Mason of their royalties? My God man, how are they to eat?

I am in this camp too. I saw a more strongly worded statement in the comments section of one of the articles about this - I believe the expression used was "vacuously trading on the Pink Floyd name for profit" and I kind of agree with that. Then again, I didn't even go for any of the post-Waters stuff, always feeling it was "Pink Floyd Lite."

EDIT: Okay, their Facebook page came up in my news feed, and it says, "Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright."

There is also a story with quotes from Dave Gilmour's wife, saying that she added vocals on some tracks, and Dave later added to those.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/154044/Oops-David-Gilmours-Wife-Leaks-Info-On-Twitter-About-New-Pink-Floyd-Album-

And they are calling that a Pink Floyd album!? Warmed-over sessions from 20 years ago with lyrics and vocals by Polly Samson? Yeah, okay. Pass.

I remember when "The Delicate Sound of Thunder" came out. I always called it "The Thunderous Sound of Cash Registers".  :stunned

I remember when "The Delicate Sound of Thunder" came out. I always called it "The Thunderous Sound of Cash Registers".  :stunned

:D

I mean, if this is all they've got left creatively - and they really need the help of Polly Samson, Phil Manzanera, and all these other people - okay, good for them, trying to honor Rick Wright with his "swan song." But if it's just a cash grab, it really tarnishes the Pink Floyd legacy. Talk about going out with a whimper instead of a bang.

I think we all know that everything post-Final Cut is not much more than a cash grab. Dave has made some very good solo LPs - I just never understood why he couldn't be happy enough playing some Floyd material live alongside his solo stuff and call his records The David Gilmour Band or whatever. Evidently it's a BRAND, not a BAND. Sigh.

Fixed that for ya.

Oh - that's just silly.

Though they never did hide the fact that they want to make a hit record, so they could make lot's of money. I think they talk about it in the Pompeii movie (think it was Gilmour, too, during the recording of Dark Side).

I never have a problem with Gilmour and the rest keeping the Floyd name and carrying on, though I was just starting high school when Momentary Lapse of Reason came out (which I enjoy), so I did not have that much vested in the argument. I remember my older friends/sisters not liking the idea, though. Enjoyed Delicate Sound of Thunder upon its release, too - though I haven't listened to it very long time. Do watch Pulse from time to time, though.

That being all said, when I listen to Floyd, I listen to the records released between 69 - 77 the most.

Oh - that's just silly.

Though they never did hide the fact that they want to make a hit record, so they could make lot's of money. I think they talk about it in the Pompeii movie (think it was Gilmour, too, during the recording of Dark Side).

I never have a problem with Gilmour and the rest keeping the Floyd name and carrying on, though I was just starting high school when Momentary Lapse of Reason came out (which I enjoy), so I did not have that much vested in the argument. I remember my older friends/sisters not liking the idea, though. Enjoyed Delicate Sound of Thunder upon its release, too - though I haven't listened to it very long time. Do watch Pulse from time to time, though.

That being all said, when I listen to Floyd, I listen to the records released between 69 - 77 the most.

I agree totally (it was intended to be silly), personally I prefer the Syd Floyd, but I love all eras of Floyd, I think Momentary Lapse is a great record, Delicate Sound is solid too as I saw that tour about 10 times.  To try and say one Floyd isn't real Floyd is silly, they had so many changes is sound and style, I never understood why some people still consider post-Syd real Floyd but not post-Rog, it was Syd's band for cryin' out loud.

My favorite period is the Saucerful-Obscured Era ('68-'72). At that point they were still an underground cult-type band, pretty much. Very much the epitome of 'head' music.

Too bad they haven't done an archival release thing like the GD - the boots I have from that time frame are truly mind-blowing.

My favorite period is the Saucerful-Obscured Era ('68-'72). At that point they were still an underground cult-type band, pretty much. Very much the epitome of 'head' music.

Too bad they haven't done an archival release thing like the GD - the boots I have from that time frame are truly mind-blowing.

Throw in Piper and we are singing the same song!

I never could get into Piper, for some reason - I do enjoy Saucerful of Secrets, though.

It would be great if they do go the Dead route and start putting out archival stuff - I suppose there is still time for them to do this at some point. It seems like they are all getting along - alright, enough - to sit together in a studio and listen to the stuff together. I guess they have been putting out these box sets (Immersion sets, I think they are calling them) - I think some of the sets have some archival concerts, included.

I love Portnoy, and I really couldn't agree more with his assessment. 

Syd Era Floyd is some exciting, groundbreaking stuff. They have a pretty heavy influence on what was going on with The Beatles at the same time frame. I never felt The Beatles set trends as much as amplified them, and what was going on at places like UFO informed a lot of The Fabs' musical experimentation in the Pepper period. 

With a lot of Syd's Floyd stuff there seems to be a conscious attempt to be a 'Pop' band with much of the material - which is strange because the post-Syd Floyd immediately went for the interstellar space that was SUCH a result of Syd Era jams, almost to the point of a total disregard for the charts ("Saucerful" the track, most of "More", the solo "Ummagumma" stuff); Syd's solo work, although totally different in style, is pretty damn uncompromising as well, with very little thought of commercial potential. That's what I love the most about The Floyd.