Saw them live about a month back, they played a new track during the set which whet my appetite for the new record. Definitely one of my most anticipated records this year. 

That one new song titled "Do You" is freaking amazing!!!   I loved Transference, really loved it.  I think I like them more with each new album, they started out a little cold and distant for me but right around Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga they hooked me.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's really good. I've spun it several times this week.

Gimme Fiction was my introduction to the band, followed by Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight. I like GaGa and some of Transference, too, and haven't really listened to their early material.

Has anyone ever heard the theory that Gimme Fiction's actual track sequence is reversed? In other words, you're supposed to start with "Merchants of Soul" and end with "The Beast and Dragon, Adored." I think I remember an interview where they dismissed the theory - but it's still a fun listen to play it that way.

It's really good. I've spun it several times this week.

Gimme Fiction was my introduction to the band, followed by Girls Can Tell and Kill the Moonlight. I like GaGa and some of Transference, too, and haven't really listened to their early material.

Has anyone ever heard the theory that Gimme Fiction's actual track sequence is reversed? In other words, you're supposed to start with "Merchants of Soul" and end with "The Beast and Dragon, Adored." I think I remember an interview where they dismissed the theory - but it's still a fun listen to play it that way.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that before, and I was obsessed with that album. Gimme Fiction was the turning point for me. A friend of mine had tried to get me to listen to Spoon before then, but I never really gave them a chance. Then I heard that album and everything finally clicked.

Gimme Fiction struck me as a band really trying and succeeding at making a serious rock album.  From the album art, to the production, to the songs, it was a well-executed attempt at recognizing that rock can be high art.  It doesn't really sound like any of these (except maybe VU), but in the legacy of bands like The Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bowie, King Crimson.

Gimme Fiction struck me as a band really trying and succeeding at making a serious rock album.  From the album art, to the production, to the songs, it was a well-executed attempt at recognizing that rock can be high art.  It doesn't really sound like any of these (except maybe VU), but in the legacy of bands like The Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bowie, King Crimson.

That's a great point.  I would add Wilco's YHF in that list of comparisons.