Nothing about Phish's Summer Tour on here??

Especially last night??

I cant cut and paste on here for some reason but lets just say they are better than ever now and that's saying something to fans

You live in Virginia, right? Are you coming to Portsmouth Tuesday or Wednesday?

Phish have been on fire since the reboot.  I thought 2012 was a step up, then came 2013 and holy crap!  Trend has continued this summer.  I caught the tour opener in Mansfield, so-so first set but the summer took off with that second set.  Randall's Island and now Merriweather Post off the hook.  Listening to the Sunday Tweezer show as I type.  Way to go Phish!

I saw them for the first time in Chicago (night 2) last week and very much enjoyed the show.

The hardcore fans I talked to who had seen them a hundred times said it was an average show but I had a great time.

I'm more of a casual Phish fan but I also like their new record quite a bit.

You'd think I'd be burned out on live music right now after just returning from Newport, but I have tickets for both nights at Portsmouth, VA (tonight and tomorrow) and I'm looking forward to them immensely. If anyone on here is coming to either of the shows let me know and maybe we can meet up. It should beeasier than trying to arrange a meeting place at Newport! 

From what I read, the Chicago shows seemed to be a slight downturn from what was before, and since a run of spectacular shows. Great moments/songs, just not through and through.  Or so I've read.  I have listened to the last 2 shows at Merriweather, and they are great, so the band should be hot rolling into Portsmouth tonight. Have fun Wilco Me!

I was fortunate enough to see many of the classic shows in the 90s.  I pretty much fell off the bus in the 00s.  On a whim I saw them last summer having not seen them in 10 years.  They are definitely playing solid shows, but fairly laid back.  I see them kind of in a groove the Dead hit in the late 80s early 90s.  They definitely peaked in 93-94.  I'm glad they're still out there, healthy and having fun.  Last two albums have really left me cold.  Maybe someday Trey will get the itch to write a fugue again :-)

I got into Phish in the late 1990s and dabbled in some live shows, but mainly listened to the studio records. (Ick, I know). I loved Rift, Billy Breathes and Story of the Ghost the most, and fell off around the time of Round Room.

This spring/summer I've had a huge resurgence in my interest in Phish, and have been working my way through the LivePhish releases. I prefer the funky, spacey, ambient shows from 1997-1999 and a couple of the sets from 2000 more so than the 1993-1995 performances.

And really I love the way the band sounds now. I've downloaded a few shows from the summer tour and have scored a few others from some generous fans. First night at Dick's in 2012 is awesome, as is the first night in San Francisco that same year. The third night at Randall's from this summer is outstanding. I've got Chicago night 3 (with the epic version of "The Wedge" and Columbia night 3 in the queue right now. Can't wait to hear what's next on the summer tour and what the fall tour will generate.

Since they came back, every time I see them I think it's the best Phish show I've seen since 1998. Last one for me was Tahoe Tweezer. They seem to be building and peaking nicely now, even recalling the band at their creative and energetic peak of 94. While not consistently at that level, it is amazing they're doing this after over 30 years together. The Dead are by far my favorite and, and Phish is often unfairly compared to them, but you have to give them credit for doing this so late in their career, while the Dead were dead and so was Jerry after 30 years.

Haven't been a fan of Trey's songwriting for the past 10 years or so, particularly the corny ballads, but love the new album and the way those songs are fitting into the shows. Looking forward to Vegas Halloween....

I've been seeing them since '95. I can't compare and contrast the different years like I can with the Dead. But let's just say that I've enjoyed the 2012-2014 shows as much as any earlier ones.

Mr. Miner js quite enthusiastic about the last 3 shows. They should fi ish this summer with a real bang.

http://phishthoughts.com/2014/07/29/catching-fire/

I'm not a Phish aPhishionado so I don't recognize more than a handful of their specific songs, but I really do enjoy the live shows, and last night's in Portsmouth was the best I've personally seen. It's just impossible not to move your body when they lock into a groove, and they are great at that. They feed a whole other part of my music appreciation--you just feel this music in a purely kinetic way. I can't wait to hear them again tonight!

The setlist looked pretty good last night, including an "If I Could" cool down after CDT. One of my favorite Phish ballads! Haven't seen that in a set list for a few years.

That's about the only good song on Hoist.  Another poster assumed phans don't like the studio albums.  I think Lawnboy, Rift, Billy Breathes and Ghost are some of the greatest albums of all time.  Farmhouse was still good, but everything really went downhill with Round Room.  Trey's first solo album is also excellent, but he's put out a lot of junk since then.  

That's about the only good song on Hoist.  Another poster assumed phans don't like the studio albums.  I think Lawnboy, Rift, Billy Breathes and Ghost are some of the greatest albums of all time.  Farmhouse was still good, but everything really went downhill with Round Room.  Trey's first solo album is also excellent, but he's put out a lot of junk since then.  

I prefer DwD and Wolfman's in their live jammed-out incarnations. I had cassettes of Hoist and Rift as my introduction (copied from my brother's CDs) and then bought Billy Breathes and Ghost next. Love those the most. Enjoyed Farmhouse quite a bit and it came out while I was in high school, so I always associate it with that fun time. I was in a band that played some pretty awful Phish covers but we had a good time.

Anyway, never got into Round Room or Undermind, but I dig a lot of those tunes in their live settings as well.

At the risk of sounding like the person that I have always hated and never thought I would become, I am sorry folks. I don't see it. I am thrilled to see Trey happy and clean, and the band happy and back together. But this version (3.0?) is not anywhere near this band in 93/94/95/97. Is it me? Very possible. But I don't think so. I was at Randall's island, and I saw the reviews. Ain't on point. Not begrudging anyone who thinks those were great shows. I just don't think they hold the jockstrap of this band in their prime. When literally ANYTHING was possible, and often, actual.

At the risk of sounding like the person that I have always hated and never thought I would become, I am sorry folks. I don't see it. I am thrilled to see Trey happy and clean, and the band happy and back together. But this version (3.0?) is not anywhere near this band in 93/94/95/97. Is it me? Very possible. But I don't think so. I was at Randall's island, and I saw the reviews. Ain't on point. Not begrudging anyone who thinks those were great shows. I just don't think they hold the jockstrap of this band in their prime. When literally ANYTHING was possible, and often, actual.

Well, as I said, I'm not a longtime fan, so I would defer to your judgment--you have more perspective on the band and a deeper relationship with their music. I'll just say that I really enjoyed both nights. Last night was lots of locked in grooves, tonight was extended jams. Kind of like that youtube video about what Phish sounds like to non Phish fans. I think longtime fans would probably prefer tonight's setlist.

I wasn't seeing shows or even listening in the "golden years" of 93-97 - I showed up later in the game. But I definitely recognize the brilliance and the fire of the early years. That came from musicians who were young, hungry and had a lot more energy. Now they're older - but I think there's still a lot of creative spark and brilliant playing going on. I appreciate the merits of each era and still spin older recordings along with the new shows. It's great to be a fan of a band that can churn out such quality playing over a long period. 30 years!

I've started to peek around the threads over at phish.net and on their Facebook page, and have been blown away at how much Phish fans are divided. Some people get into some pretty heated arguments that aren't really constructive at all, just flat-out trolling and bashing each other. I've seen plenty of disagreements happen around here with regards to Wilco and the different eras of the band, but nothing on the scale of Phish fans. Some of them folks are nasty to each other.

Phish fans have always been like that it seems (even going back to the early 90s) -- very over- the-top opinionated --- at least from my experience and perspective.  Back in the 90's they always had the Dead to compare them to -- which always got annoying.

Since last year, I have been enjoying listening to Phish again --- after taking about 15 years off.

Speaking of current day Phish - free webcast this Sunday. This should be fun.

http://phish.com/news/free-alpharetta-phish-webcast-this-sunday-at-livephish-com/

To celebrate the close of Summer Tour with everyone, Phish will offer a totally FREE live webcast of their sold-out show this Sunday, August 3rd beginning at 7:45 PM ET (4:45 PM PT) from Encore Park in Alpharetta, GA at LivePhish.com.

LivePhish.com will be broadcasting a 10-camera, HD shoot and fans can tune in on their large screen TVs via HDMI-equipped PCs or Macs and iOS platforms (including iPad, iPhone or Apple TV via AirPlay).

Visit LivePhish.com for more details.