I was fortunate enough to see many of the classic shows in the 90s.  I pretty much fell off the bus in the 00s.  On a whim I saw them last summer having not seen them in 10 years.  They are definitely playing solid shows, but fairly laid back.  I see them kind of in a groove the Dead hit in the late 80s early 90s.  They definitely peaked in 93-94.  I'm glad they're still out there, healthy and having fun.  Last two albums have really left me cold.  Maybe someday Trey will get the itch to write a fugue again :-)

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Aug. '93- Aug '96 is the shit for me.

My first show was Dec 30, 1995 MSG Hands down the best of all their shows I have seen them play. However 09-14 Has been good..def better than 2000-06 run

That's a heck of a first show to be at. Lucky you!

I agree that the latest run of Phish is better than the post-hiatus tours in 2002-2004. I like some of that stuff, especially 2-28-03, but it just doesn't sound like they're all there...

Dang, missed the webcast. Was battling my three-week-old to get him to bed. Setlist looks like it contains a handful of bust out tunes! Looking forward to the Dick's run later this month.

Missed parts of the middle of the 1st set - due to putting one of the kids to bed -- would of like to see/hear the Fast Enough for You, always enjoy that tune. Bathtub gin was  a stand out --- fell asleep before the Fluffhead - that would been nice to see, too. All in all - it was great night of music.

It all sounded and looked great on my system.

I was having a lot of bufferin/connection troubles during the first set (Verizon FIOS), was really distracting and hard to watch. But it all smoothed out by Kill Devil Falls>Suzie, and it was all smooth sailing for the remainder.  I was really tired and kept wanting to go to sleep, but couldn't break away.  I did shut it down after the second set ended, so missed the Fluffhead encore.  Great show, great tour.

Couple of small issues for me during the 1st set, too - but nothing too bad. Thought the bits between sets were pretty funny --- ending a show early because they came up with a cool Tweet was pretty funny.

I never purchased a Phish (or any band) webcast/stream before --- definitely will need to look into that in the future.

I know this sounds like heresy, and I honestly can't explain it to myself, but I listened to the whole live stream last night--and watched a lot of it--and it was just like background music to me. It's so weird, becasue I just went to the shows in Portsmouth, VA on Tuesday and Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed both nights. I mean, they moved me--literally and figuratively. I was on my feet and pretty much dancing all night. But it must be something about the live experience with this band, more than any other, that makes the difference. Maybe it's the lack of quality lyrical content? When I'm actually at a live show, I guess I don't notice that so much, but when I'm not physically present I just find their music boring.

Oh well. I'll continue to go to live Phish shows but I think I've given up on thinking I'm ever going to appreciate their music in any other way.

At the Mansfield show, it was hot and sticky, the air wasn't moving at all, and we were surrounded by cigarette smokers and guys farting. I had none of that last night! I will always go to shows, nothing beats the live experience, but I do love doing a couch tour. And Phish does it well, lots of cameras, good audio, etc. Interesting to me that you so enjoyed the 2 shows you saw, but watching and listening to, say, Chalkdust or First Tube last night didn't move you. The power of being present at a show I guess.

At the Mansfield show, it was hot and sticky, the air wasn't moving at all, and we were surrounded by cigarette smokers and guys farting. I had none of that last night! I will always go to shows, nothing beats the live experience, but I do love doing a couch tour. And Phish does it well, lots of cameras, good audio, etc. Interesting to me that you so enjoyed the 2 shows you saw, but watching and listening to, say, Chalkdust or First Tube last night didn't move you. The power of being present at a show I guess.

I know! I'm disappointed in myself. I keep thinking it's gonna kick in, but it hasn't happened yet.

I know this sounds like heresy, and I honestly can't explain it to myself, but I listened to the whole live stream last night--and watched a lot of it--and it was just like background music to me. It's so weird, becasue I just went to the shows in Portsmouth, VA on Tuesday and Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed both nights. I mean, they moved me--literally and figuratively. I was on my feet and pretty much dancing all night. But it must be something about the live experience with this band, more than any other, that makes the difference. Maybe it's the lack of quality lyrical content? When I'm actually at a live show, I guess I don't notice that so much, but when I'm not physically present I just find their music boring.

Oh well. I'll continue to go to live Phish shows but I think I've given up on thinking I'm ever going to appreciate their music in any other way.

Phish does have a lot of terrible lyrics, but after spending time listening to a lot of other artists whose lyrics are more...sophisticated [?] it's somewhat refreshing to listen to some stuff with nonsensical lyrics. I don't need to be "lyrically stimulated" all the time. A lot of Phish lyrics conjure up strange images in my head and I enjoy wandering down that mental path while getting lost in the band interplay. I think a lot of Phish lyrics were chosen for the sound, rhythm and cadence of the words, and how they fit together inside the melodies, rather than what they mean -- something I hear in Wilco songs, too. That's not to say Phish lyrics are anywhere on the level of Jeff Tweedy's -- they're not -- but I just find it to be a nice change of pace to not be striving for the ultimate poetic statement all the time.

I'll be the first to admit that Phish has some terribly stupid songs (most of which are from early in their career, with Wombat a current era example), and even their best songs don't hit my gut lyrically like a Tweedy or Garcia/Hunter song does.  My brain doesn't connect with Phish for the lyrics. Either that or I have an empty brain since I'm always up for hearing a David Bowie rage!