Wilco — 12/11/14, Chicago, IL (Riviera Theatre) [Winterlude Night 5]

Dream show for me last night. Being able to only hit one night of the run it was like winning the lottery. When I saw they played Sunken Treasure on Monday I was crushed. Had never seen it live before, my holy grail so to speak. I was wondering how deep they'd be digging to avoid repeats. Instead it was like they decided to put together a perfect standalone show. I'm absolutely drowning in gratitude still.

Had a perfect balcony spot but I couldn't sit still. Got up to dance during Camera and people were throwing ice at me. Had to escape downstairs until the encore. I'll never understand why people wanna sit down through a rock and roll show, especially a rager like last night. But it didn't detract from the experience at all. Wish I could come back tonight but they couldn't possibly draw up a better setlist for my tastes.

Between Milwaukee and last night this is the peak thus far of my Wilco-seeing career. So many of my favorite old bands are fading hard. These guys are ripping it up like never before. Just wow.

Throwing ice? Geez, people. That's kind of sad. It's a rock and roll show. Unfold your hands, get them out of your lap and get off your asses. This isn't a smooth jazz show.

I decided not to go to the balcony because even during the encores a lot of folks up there refused to stand up.  Meanwhile on the second level on the mail floor I had a "company in my back" moment last night. Sometimes you just can't win either way.

Last night was my last show (50%er here) and enjoyed the shit out of it with some friends.  Always good to hear Hotel Arizona.  It's a great rave up tune that gives the band some time to air it out.

LoueiB

Dream show for me last night. Being able to only hit one night of the run it was like winning the lottery. When I saw they played Sunken Treasure on Monday I was crushed. Had never seen it live before, my holy grail so to speak. I was wondering how deep they'd be digging to avoid repeats. Instead it was like they decided to put together a perfect standalone show. I'm absolutely drowning in gratitude still.

Had a perfect balcony spot but I couldn't sit still. Got up to dance during Camera and people were throwing ice at me. Had to escape downstairs until the encore. I'll never understand why people wanna sit down through a rock and roll show, especially a rager like last night. But it didn't detract from the experience at all. Wish I could come back tonight but they couldn't possibly draw up a better setlist for my tastes.

Between Milwaukee and last night this is the peak thus far of my Wilco-seeing career. So many of my favorite old bands are fading hard. These guys are ripping it up like never before. Just wow.

Ice throwing is a bit out of line.  I saw security trying to get two people in the front row of the balcony to sit down last night and the people just argued with them and then they finally sat down.

I think its all unwritten concert etiquette...if you're the only one standing in a seated area...you might want to go down to where everyone else is standing and be among like minded fans.  Bottom line is just to be respectful to those around you. 

Without being able to sit in the balcony for the majority of the sets, there is no way I'd still be functional after tonight which will be my 7th show in 10 days.

Ive been balcony this whole run and sort of agree/sort of disagree -- I'm choosing balcony because the floor just looks *too* crowded and if I have to pee I have no idea how the hell I'll get back to a good spot. But I'm throwing my hands in the air and singing along and wondering if I'm bugging people around me even though I'm not standing, because "rocking out" is my go-to (and I've seen Wilco some 50-something times, and I know that during "Shot in the Arm" we're responsible for "Anymore,") etc. But having a seat and playing poker online before the show and through the opener is stellar.

I totally get that you need a seat and so you go to the balcony. As one of the oldest people both here and at the shows I could have used a seat last night myself.  It is certainly fine to spend the bulk of the show in your seat and not intentionally piss people off by standing when the majority are sitting.  I would be pissed too.  But by the first fake rock encore which is the big conclusion of the show, why not stand and show some appreciation for the effort that has been put out by the band.  You would not do that at a classical or jazz show maybe and certainly not at a Broadway type show, but this is a fucking rock show fercrisake.  Relax for two hours and then show some enthusiasm and love at the end.  And don't be pissed off if others want to do that.  Deal with the backs of people and realize you either can't stand up because you are too old or disabled and let others have some fun.  (During the acoustic encore sitting is also appropriate.) 

There is so much wrong with GA shows when people are not polite enough to figure out that they need to think of other people.  I had to fend off a very drunk woman last night who was going to take my friend's spot despite the fact that it was obvious he had gone for a drink/bathroom break. 

There is going to come a time when everyone can't deal with GA shows anymore because of age and patience.  We have all paid good money to see these shows and so consideration rather than selfishness should be included as being admitted to the show, but instead we act like groundlings at the Globe. 

LouieB

Hmmm. I guess I'm sort of in a rock/hard place situation with the Wilco crowd. Sound is so perfect in the middle of the balcony, but no dancing seems to be the consensus. Downstairs it's like if there's any quiet bits the whole room starts gabbing to absolute distraction, and the sound isn't as good to begin with, unless you're right in the thick of it close to the stage, where there's no room to dance anyway and it's just generally not my thing to be way up in sardine-land. I do love the Riv as a venue. Maybe it's just not ideal for Wilco.

Maybe I'm crazy but for most of my life I'd swear people just naturally stood up for a rock show whether they were in a balcony or not. Times have changed? Older crowd? I'm not sure. Sometimes I think it varies by city. Maybe I'm unusual in being moved to dance by Wilco songs. But I don't want to piss people off so I guess I'll stick to the main floor from now on. It's obviously more comfortable in every way upstairs and I'd prefer to be up there but I gotta be moving. I think most of my Chicago buddies have resigned themselves to balcony life as the lesser of two evils. Maybe when I'm older I'll be too worn out to dance. I dunno. Almost 40, shit.

Sorry to blather on and on. Thanks for the various perspectives. I don't really post here much but it sure seems like a good-natured environment.

There is so much wrong with GA shows when people are not polite enough to figure out that they need to think of other people.  I had to fend off a very drunk woman last night who was going to take my friend's spot despite the fact that it was obvious he had gone for a drink/bathroom break. 

LouieB

I really thought you knew her - didn't realize until after the show - that you didn't ---- I would have had helped you out a bit. 

In general, I thought the crowd was fine or typical for a GA crowd .

A little more banter from this show:

After California Stars, Jeff told the crowd that CA Stars is on Bob Seger's new album and that they were both playing it tonight. In fact, they arranged it so they played it at the same time...but they couldn't find anyone who was willing to simulcast it, so it wasn't worth it. Then, barely skipping a beat and completely deadpan, Jeff added, "That didn't happen." It was hilariously awkward.

Highlight for me was full band Blasting Fonda and the great run from In Love to Dreamer. Had to shed some layers!

• 2 weeks later...

I trekked from Philly to Chicago for nights 5 and 6 of Winterlude. My review of nights 5 and 6 and photos from night 6 are here: http://citypaper.net/music/concert-review/photos-two-nights-in-chicago-with-wilco/. A full set of photos from the Thursday, 12/11 show are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/countfeed/sets/72157649495965930/

Maybe I'm crazy but for most of my life I'd swear people just naturally stood up for a rock show whether they were in a balcony or not. Times have changed? Older crowd? I'm not sure. Sometimes I think it varies by city. 

I read this comment a while back, and forgot to reply to it...probably just on my phone when I read it and never got around to it. 

The "standing vs. sitting" debate has gone on here for many years. Wilco started out playing mostly clubs, so they were used to having people on their feet in front of the stage. However, as they began playing to larger audiences in theaters, there has developed a genuine quandary: stay in your nice comfortable seat, or stand up and risk drawing the ire of your neighbors.

For me, I will suffer through a general admission pit area to be close to the stage...but at 50, and with flat feet, it becomes utter torture after about an hour and a half. Actually, it was torture when I was 35 or 40, but it's gotten worse. I really need to get some quality orthotics.  :lol

For Wilco, it really does seem the band gets off more on their crowd being up, even though they sometimes start shows with mellow songs like Less Than You Think. Over time, I have decided to get up and exhort my fellow audience members to get up, too. If it doesn't work after about 30 seconds to a minute, I sit back down. I don't want to be "that guy" who is standing and blocking the view in a crowd where people remain seated. I can deal with sitting for an entire show. Oftentimes, people will get up toward the end and dance around to the rockers.

Mostly I wanted to respond to your comment about people standing and/or dancing for rock shows in general. In fact, historically, people in venues with seating actually have remained seated for rock shows. I recently saw a photo of The Doors on Facebook that showed the view from behind Jim Morrison, and the (very clean cut looking) audience were in their seats. Pretty funny stuff. I have seen similar photos of audiences seated at Grateful Dead shows. I also have a recording of Frank Zappa telling an audience, "Sit down and relax, you're going to be here a while." Oh, and I saw The Who in '79, and people sat throughout, myself included. It really depends on the crowd, the venue and the performers.

I appreciate the feedback! I know that in the 60s and at least early 70s people were all expected to be seated. I've heard several Zeppelin shows in which Plant admonishes the crowd for not sitting. Which blows my mind. I started going to shows in the early 90s, and I don't recall ever sitting, big show or small, until the past decade or so, increasingly. Excepting certain obviously low-key and/or geared-towards-older-folks shows. Maybe it's cyclical. I imagine if I tried hard enough I could think of a few...

I don't want to be the entitled asshole, though. I'd go for the GA pit downstairs every time except at Wilco shows people seem to want to stand still and not allow room for dancing, so I wind up still being the oddball. Get back farther where there's room to dance and everybody's talking. It's frustrating. But I'll certainly take my lumps and sit down from now on if I'm in the balcony.