Newport Folk Festival 2015

No guesses about the unannounced acts, but I am dying to know!  I will be at the Watkins Family Hour pre-show (can't really call it an after-show since it's on Thursday night) as long as my flight is on time.  Looking forward to it very much.  

My biggest scheduling woe is Jason Isbell and Courtney Barnett overlapping almost completely on different ends of the fort grounds.  Still don't know what I will do about that one, since they are two of my favorites.  First time to hear the new Isbell songs live, but I've never seen Barnett and don't want to miss her.  High class problem, right?

It pains me to know, but who were the guests for the Watkins Family Hour? How was it? SO wish that I was there...

Could not disagree more with the writer who thinks that Sufjan should've headlined over the Decemberists. Not only does she not make a compelling case (or a case at all, really), but the fact that she referred to Sufjan's set as "legendary" calls to question whether or not she was even paying attention. 

I love Sufjan, but that set was pretty mediocre at best. Festival-friendly set list, lots of vocal flubs, etc... It was fun, but there's a reason the Decemberists are a better festival headliner and it showed. It's not just the music, Colin Meloy knows how to work a crowd, and I think he did  so nicely. The Decemberists' set ended with a "!" and Sufjan's just sort of fizzled out...

That said, I had an awesome time yesterday. From the moment I showed up and found myself front row for a pop up Joe Pug set, to Langhorne Slim (how does that dude have so much energy?!), and Jason Isbell whose voice left me speechless... Only bummer of the day was the hour wait for a water taxi, and even that wasn't so bad.

It pains me to know, but who were the guests for the Watkins Family Hour? How was it? SO wish that I was there...

Sorry, I just got home late last night and was in work hell all day today :(

The Watkins Family Hour aftershow was far and away my favorite of the three this year.  The other two were fair to middling with the exception of cameos BOTH NIGHTS by the wondrous David Rawlings, whom I would walk over hot coals to see any day of the week.  I wrote down the guests from the Watkins Family Hour, and they included: Joe Pug, Hiss Golden Messenger, and the Lone Bellow.  Also, several members of the band did star turns including a couple of killers from Fiona Apple. Bassist Sebastian Steinberg also did a mesmerizing tune that brought the house down.  CBS was there filming for something and Bob Boilen from NPR was in the front row, so it felt a bit like a "happening".

There are a few videos on YouTube if you look for Watkins Family Hour. Their first official show! This was an encore sung by Fiona Apple (don't ask me why black and white!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FeBRGJ3Lxs

And with everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OudtZLNx5yI

The other two nights were just OK for me, with a couple of standouts, including a flawed but lovely "Can't Help Falling in Love With You" by Shakey Graves and Holly and Jess from Lucius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_OAUl4siLw

And did I mention Dave Rawlings?  Now, he leaves me starstruck.

BTW, this was just one of the most wonderful musical weekends I could imagine.  What a spectacular time I had.  And I ended up going to see Jason Isbell (just could not miss) instead of Courtney Barnett.  I hoofed it over there as soon as Jason was done, but only caught the last chorus of her last song (dang!)  I did catch all of Sturgill Simpson though, which was a wonderful thing to behold.  All in all, a fantastic festival for me.

And that really is a special shot, Tinnitus. Beautiful.

Sorry, I just got home late last night and was in work hell all day today :(

The Watkins Family Hour aftershow was far and away my favorite of the three this year.  The other two were fair to middling with the exception of cameos BOTH NIGHTS by the wondrous David Rawlings, whom I would walk over hot coals to see any day of the week.  I wrote down the guests from the Watkins Family Hour, and they included: Joe Pug, Hiss Golden Messenger, and the Lone Bellow.  Also, several members of the band did star turns including a couple of killers from Fiona Apple. Bassist Sebastian Steinberg also did a mesmerizing tune that brought the house down.  CBS was there filming for something and Bob Boilen from NPR was in the front row, so it felt a bit like a "happening".

No need to apologize, I appreciate the thorough recap. TWFH was the highlight of my NFF experience last year, and I was sad to miss this one, especially considering the new record and all-star band. Sounds like it was a really great show -- I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! I'm looking forward to watching those youtube videos when I get out of work!