Newport Folk Festival 2015

Tickets went on sale this morning for Newport Folk Festival 2015.  I have 3-day passes (not early bird, despite being online at the right time), and it will be my first time going.  I dislike music festivals in general but the Solid Sound experiences have been amazing, so I'm willing to give NFF a shot too since every year I look at the line-up and am sad I missed out. 

Questions for folks who have been at both: how does the vibe compare between NFF and Solid Sound?  What's better / worse about NFF?  Does NFF feel "bigger?"  Easier/harder to get close to the various stages to see the music?

the programming at NFF is pretty solid, but overall i prefer SSF. the vibes are similar...lots of white people, some w/ kids. it's easier to get closer to the main stage at NFF since there is a lot of stuff going on all day. and there's a NO CHAIR zone in the center which is nice, something SSF should consider.

biggest drawbacks to NFF:

finding a place to stay

getting in and out of the stage fort grounds

only being able to drink beers in isolated pens, far from the music.

I would agree with TP on everything.  Where at SS there is only one act playing at a time, there is overlap at NFF.  I would recommend concentrating on seeing the ends of sets, not the beginnings.  When a band is starting at another stage, there is a mass exodus from who is already playing.  I would argue that the best parts of each act is in the 2nd half, and by then some spots may have opened up.  The stage between the main fort stage and the courtyard stage gets congested because it is right in the middle of traffic.  The no chair rule is awesome, we were front row for Jeff Tweedy, no problem, and very near the front for Jack White without too much difficulty.  It is definitely a "scene," lots of people with very well planned out outfits.  It's a drag that you can't take beer to the stages; on the other hand, it keeps the talkers in their own corners.  The token thing is kind of a hassle, but the lines weren't too long.  Like SS, you see a fair number of artists just walking around.  I talked to someone who brushed by Beck last year, and he wasn't even on the ticket!

The fort acts end early, so it is worth checking out what else is going on around town later.  Get reservations if you plan on eating out after.  If you've been to the city of Newport before, you know how crazy the town is anyway regarding traffic.  Figure out how you are going to get in and out of the fest.  You can drive, ride bikes, cabs, water ferry, walk.  We opted to drive.  It helps to have someone navigate who has a traffic app and be able to make quick decisions.  Bikes would be a good option, but we didn't think to bring ours or rent ahead of time.  The water ferries had huge lines to get back to town.  It was kind of far to walk. 

Get your lodging now.  We had previously reserved a room at the Admiral Fitzroy, and we aren't going so I cancelled it today.  So they may have a room.  It is a good spot to stay because they have free parking and are right in town.

Got my early bird ticket this morning.  Last year was my first time going, and I had an incredible time.  Agree with the pros and cons listed above.  

The best things are the absolutely stellar lineup (cannot be overstated!), the no-chair zone in front of the main stage, the easy-going music-loving crowd, and getting there via ferry from town on a beautiful summer day.  The difficulties are finding a place to stay that is in a good location and reasonably priced and trying to figure out what to do when 2 of your favorites are playing at the same time.  These are high-class problems to be sure.  The beer zone thing I am on the fence about.  It keeps the drunken asshat count down, but makes it a little bit of a pain to enjoy a beverage and not miss some of the musical action.

Last year, I went to all three of the after-shows at the Jane Pickens theater in town, and that was a fantastic experience as well.  It may be too much of a good thing for some people, but for me, it was an absolutely perfect way to end each day in a cozy theater with a comfy seat, listening to a handful of amazing artists collaborate with each other.  And they were only like $25 each.  They also have a really good app for your phone that lets you figure out in advance what bands you want to see at what stages and what set times.  I didn't drive at all.  Stayed in town and took the ferry over to the fort, which I will do again this year.  Avoids much hassle, but expect to pay some bucks for a hotel.  Worth it though.

Damn it. Now I wish I was going. We went to one of Deer Tick's after hours shows. It was a high point of the weekend. Tickets sold out in seconds so have your ear to the ground if you are interested in those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I went to all three of the after-shows at the Jane Pickens theater in town, and that was a fantastic experience as well.  It may be too much of a good thing for some people, but for me, it was an absolutely perfect way to end each day in a cozy theater with a comfy seat, listening to a handful of amazing artists collaborate with each other.  And they were only like $25 each.  They also have a really good app for your phone that lets you figure out in advance what bands you want to see at what stages and what set times.  I didn't drive at all.  Stayed in town and took the ferry over to the fort, which I will do again this year.  Avoids much hassle, but expect to pay some bucks for a hotel.  Worth it though.

I went to NFF last year to see TWEEDY, but the highlight of the trip was definitely The Wakins Family Hour show that we saw that evening. I still talk about that show to anyone who will listen. What a night!

Not sure if I'll return to NFF this year. Maybe I'll buy a single Saturday ticket and hope for the best.

I went to NFF last year to see TWEEDY, but the highlight of the trip was definitely The Wakins Family Hour show that we saw that evening. I still talk about that show to anyone who will listen. What a night!

Not sure if I'll return to NFF this year. Maybe I'll buy a single Saturday ticket and hope for the best.

All three of those shows were so good.  I've been reminiscing about them all year.  The Watkins show was probably the best one (great guests and Sara was an excellent MC), but every single one was something special.

By the way, I did meet you briefly before the Tweedy set last year.  I had met TwoShedJackson and his family the day before and he introduced us.  You should go in 2015, if only just for the Saturday!  You know you want to.

TP summed it up pretty well. NFF is excellent, but overall I prefer Solid Sound.

My only real complaint about NFF is, as some of you have mentioned, the overlap of sets. Last year there were some tough choices, and I either missed or caught partial sets from bands I'd like to have seen.

As much as we'd like to attend both festivals, my wife and I have decided to alternate. We'll do NFF on years when there's no Solid Sound. In making that decision, we've probably just ensured that this year's NFF lineup will be the best ever. You're welcome.

OK, so that begs the question for us who aren't planning on going.  What line up would really make you want to eat your shoe?  I was so happy last year with Jack White and the rest, I'm not sure what would make it better.  I will get my Wilco fix at SS, and many other bands I would rather see full length sets.  I suppose its the new acts who I wouldn't normally see or even know of otherwise that I would miss.  I will bum me out to miss one of those Deer Tick after shows, those are pretty special in a drunken/raucous way.

to me, i can't answer that. w/ Jay Sweet (and presumably others at Paste) doing the booking, i find it much less adventurous than what Solid Sound has to offer (though it's clearly not your father's Folk Festival, either). 

that said, it was cool seeing stuff like Kurt Vile, Benjamin Booker and Reignwolf playing last year. i'm just not sure how far off the beaten folk path NFF will go.

All three of those shows were so good. I've been reminiscing about them all year. The Watkins show was probably the best one (great guests and Sara was an excellent MC), but every single one was something special.

By the way, I did meet you briefly before the Tweedy set last year. I had met TwoShedJackson and his family the day before and he introduced us. You should go in 2015, if only just for the Saturday! You know you want to.

Ahh that's right! It was nice meeting you! Should they invite a bunch of artists I like I might consider attending for a day. It's expensive and way more of a hassle than SSF, even though it's closer geographically for me. Also, I'm guessing Wilco won't be there so there isn't that incentive.

TP: Jack White is pretty far off the beaten folk path, no?

I really like the beaten folk path (especially when that includes artists as different as Benjamin Booker and Willie Watson and Lucius) and am happy to hear so many great folk and roots musicians over the course of the 3 days.  I'll be going to both SSF and Newport this year.  Both are unique and inspiring in their different ways.  The thing that makes these festivals fun is the sheer quantity of great music, much of it new to me, that lets me indulge in old favorites and explore something novel, all in the company of a few thousand music-loving strangers.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am getting very excited for NFF! Super bummed to be missing The Watkins Family Hour, especially now that they've announced that Joe Pug will be joining. 

Any guesses about who the unannounced bands are on Friday and Saturday? It looks like there's an unannounced band on Friday from 5:30PM-6:30PM right before Roger Waters (with no break in between, oddly enough), and another unannounced on Saturday from 3:45 - 4:45.

I am getting very excited for NFF! Super bummed to be missing The Watkins Family Hour, especially now that they've announced that Joe Pug will be joining. 

Any guesses about who the unannounced bands are on Friday and Saturday? It looks like there's an unannounced band on Friday from 5:30PM-6:30PM right before Roger Waters (with no break in between, oddly enough), and another unannounced on Saturday from 3:45 - 4:45.

No guesses about the unannounced acts, but I am dying to know!  I will be at the Watkins Family Hour pre-show (can't really call it an after-show since it's on Thursday night) as long as my flight is on time.  Looking forward to it very much.  

My biggest scheduling woe is Jason Isbell and Courtney Barnett overlapping almost completely on different ends of the fort grounds.  Still don't know what I will do about that one, since they are two of my favorites.  First time to hear the new Isbell songs live, but I've never seen Barnett and don't want to miss her.  High class problem, right?

Does anyone know what time the Pickens aftershows tend to end?  

Wish I could remember more exactly how long each of them went last year, but they were somewhere in the 2 hours range.  Not until middle-of-the-night like those Deer Tick aftershows, which are a younger person's game :)

My biggest scheduling woe is Jason Isbell and Courtney Barnett overlapping almost completely on different ends of the fort grounds. Still don't know what I will do about that one, since they are two of my favorites. First time to hear the new Isbell songs live, but I've never seen Barnett and don't want to miss her. High class problem, right?

That is a scheduling nightmare. I wouldn't want to have to choose. Another reminder why I had such a good time at Lockn'-never have to make a choice, at least not before midnight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No guesses about the unannounced acts, but I am dying to know!  I will be at the Watkins Family Hour pre-show (can't really call it an after-show since it's on Thursday night) as long as my flight is on time.  Looking forward to it very much.  

My biggest scheduling woe is Jason Isbell and Courtney Barnett overlapping almost completely on different ends of the fort grounds.  Still don't know what I will do about that one, since they are two of my favorites.  First time to hear the new Isbell songs live, but I've never seen Barnett and don't want to miss her.  High class problem, right?

The Isbell/Barnett conundrum is killing me. I just saw Isbell last night and he was incredible. I thought it would make it easier for me to miss his set at NFF but it actually made it harder! Since I essentially bought the tix for Courtney Barnett and Sturgill Simpson she'll probably win out, but it's gonna hurt knowing that Isbell is playing on the other side of that fort wall!