TWEEDY March 29, 2015 - Omaha, NE Sokol Auditorium

Creating the topic title in the right format involved a lot of pressure, and I have no set list. Perfect person to start this thread! (P, please edit this post to include the setlist at the top. :) )

This was only my second TWEEDY show, and I'm really glad I booked the trip. As I said, I don't have a set list for any of the show, so I'll share some random things that stood out:

* Sokol is a weird old venue! Wide, relatively shallow, hardwood floors, panel doors that can be drawn. I was warned that acoustically it would be a little like Eagle's Ballroom, but a great mix up front prevented that from happening.

* The crowd was very "singy." Jeff even commented on how nice it was to have a crowd who sings along since their most recent crowds haven't. His theory was that they were too comfortable in their cushy seats. Well, Sokol is pretty much a middle school gym, and who's ever felt comfortable in one of those? There was a lot of singing.

* There was an engagement right before You and I.

* At some point early in the acoustic portion of the show one ostentatious fan shouted that he had gotten his money's worth. Jeff suggested that then he perhaps should move back and let someone else up front. This led to commentary on how it should work like volleyball, with Jeff yelling "Rotate!"and everyone moving positions in the audience. Later in the show there was another somewhat awkward exchange with this audience member, and during a beat where Jeff was figuring out how he might exit that moment, someone in the back shouted, "Rotate!" Hilariously perfect timing to which Jeff tipped his hat.

* I haven't been watching setlists, so I have no idea what's typical and what isn't. For me, these were special treats of the night because they made me feel extra "good stuff": :) God, Misunderstood (partially with no PA and on the edge of the stage), Love on a Wire, Nobody Dies Anymore, World Away.

* There was quite a bit of talk about Jeff's oxygenation now that he was back at sea level and among "his people."

* He was wearing a small black button last night, and I wanted to ask what it said but didn't want to get rotated out. Or generally be a dick. Inquiring minds...

It was a fun night with people I like a whole lot. Great introduction to Omaha!

Creating the topic title in the right format involved a lot of pressure, and I have no set list. Perfect person to start this thread! (P, please edit this post to include the setlist at the top. :) )

You just beat me to the punch, but I'm glad you did! I don't think I can edit your post, unfortunately, so I'll just go ahead and post the complete setlist, as played, here and hope that will do...

Hazel (started and restarted)

Flowering

Summer Noon

World Away

New Moon

Fake Fur Coat>

Diamond Light, Pt.1

Wait For Love*

Nobody Dies Anymore*

High As Hello*

Love Like A Wire* [Diane Izzo]

Low Key*

You Are Not Alone*

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart^

New Madrid^

One Wing^

The Ruling Class^

Someone Else's Song^

Passenger Side^

Hummingbird^

Jesus, etc.^

Born Alone^

You And I^

I'm The Man Who Loves You^

Misunderstood^ (end performed at edge of stage without PA system)

Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood

True Love Will Find You In The End* [Daniel Johnston]

--------------------------------------------------

God [John Lennon]

Only The Lord Knows*

The Losing End (When You're On)* [Neil Young]

California Stars*

* — with Sima Cunningham on backing vocals

^ — Jeff Tweedy solo acoustic

Well, H. Stone (or should I call her Mrs. Ol' Boy? ;)) did a nice job summing up most of the highlights from Banter Corner, so I figured I'd just add my two cents, fwiw...

Sometimes it's nice to be with your people. Jeff quickly clarified that to mean "Midwesterners" — he said that when he pulled up the blinds on the bus after they got to Omaha, he looked out and thought it looked exactly like where he's from — but he could just as easily have been talking about an engaged, participatory audience or the kind of people who might go see a show at a venue like Sokol Auditorium. The band has played every kind of venue on this tour, but in some respects, I hadn't seen all of the members quite as freewheeling as they were last night. It could just be that they're finally at the end of a long run and maybe also had a little something to do with the Sokol's ramshackle charm, but from the very beginning when they false started on the first song, there just seemed like a sense of looseness that isn't always obvious.

As has been mentioned, the crowd fed off some of that energy. It was, in many ways, the polar opposite of the previous couple of shows in terms of singalongs and the like. Perhaps it helped a little that the house lights were left on, certainly more than they would be in a traditional theater-type setting. As a result, I'm pretty sure the band could see a significant portion of the crowd just as well as we could see the band; even during Jeff's solo set, when he's usually blinded by the bank of lights at his feet and the rest of the venue goes completely dark, there was a little more light than usual. That made a difference, IMHO, in terms of Jeff and the band connecting with the audience a little more. So for example, in addition to his comments about recent audiences being too comfortable in their cushy seats to participate, Jeff also said that it made him feel good to see a few people singing along to Love Like A Wire. And Passenger Side truly became a good old-fashioned singalong like it traditionally was back in the old days, and Jesus, etc., as well. :cheers

To expound on the proposal during You And I a bit, prior to that song, Jeff asked if there was a Sam in the audience who had wanted to hear a certain song. Jeff said he didn't know if it was the song Sam had wanted to hear, but was it OK if he played You And I. And then Jeff sort of gradually explained why — namely, that Sam had wanted to propose. So he did, and despite Sam possibly fumbling the ring a bit, his girlfriend accepted. There had been some people in the crowd, yelling "Don't do it," and things like that so Jeff jokingly took them to task after the song, saying that they were all "cold, heartless animals." Of course, he couldn't resist having it both ways too, saying that love was a good thing and advising Sam and his girlfriend to "give it a shot." It was a sweet moment without being overly sappy, and it was cute to see the rest of the band come back up to the side of the stage to watch the proceedings as well.

What else? A few other random notes I jotted down:

— The person who yelled out "Rotate" really had exquisite timing. It came after a woman near the front had felt the need to tell Jeff that "I love the vinyl," which created some awkwardness because it wasn't clear what she was talking about. The number of truly random comments that Jeff has to deflect or otherwise deal with over the course of a solo performance can be pretty remarkable, so maybe the "Rotate" thing should find a way to catch on. Hashtag campaign anyone?
— Strumming the opening chords to The Ruling Class, Jeff took note of the "smattering of applause." When the crowd began to cheer louder, Jeff said, "No no, I don't need your pity. It might look like I do — needy Tweedy." He stopped short of hashtagging it, though. :ninja
— There was once again some discussion of 7/8 and 3/4 time after World Away and one of the waltzes with Jeff challenging someone to name another rock song in 7/8 time. I think Liam mentioned something, to which Jeff said something like if anyone would have known that, it would of course have been Liam (which brought out a sheepish grin from the multi-instrumentalist). Neither Liam nor anyone else had anything when Jeff dared someone to name a rap song in 3/4 time, though.
— During God, Jeff said "I believe in me/Spencer and me...and Sammy and Susie."
— As he has been doing for the past week or so, Jeff continued to step back on the second verse of California Stars to let Sima and Liam take the lead vocal together, which is a nice thing to let sister and brother have a moment like that. Also at the past few shows, I've noticed that Jeff has hardly been switching guitars at all during his solo set. He's primarily been sticking to, I think, his 1930s Martin 00-21 for reasons unknown.
— Stepping off the PA system at the end of Misunderstood was a cool moment. Not sure whether Jeff always planned to do it, but it seemed like he might have been having a slight issue with the plug into his guitar, so at one point, he simply unplugged and stepped out onto the subwoofers in front of the stage and finished the song that way with the faded-out crowd "nothings." He hadn't done that much, if at all, on this tour, so that was cool to see.

Omaha was my last show on this run, since I won't be able to make it to tonight's finale in Iowa City. It's always a little sad when a tour like this comes to a close because inevitably there will be a few differences when the band gets back together again, so you're never sure if you'll be able to catch this particular vibe just so. But it's been a lot of fun, as always, and a real treat to watch this group of players (and their excellent crew) come together over the past few weeks and really develop some nice chemistry. Now it's time to go do some laundry... :thumbup

Nobody has commented on Juan Watters as the opener. He opened for one of the Tweedy shows in Chicago earlier this month. He was definitely...um...unusual. Reactions were mixed among my friends, so I am curious to hear how it went over in Omaha.

And thank you to bböp and H. Stone for all the delectable details!

Great details as always, P--and a more accurate account! I should just refer to everyone as "Ol' boy" from now on. "Then Ol' Boy shouted something from the crowd, and Jeff said..." "Later, Ol' Boy proposed to his girlfriend."

As for the opener, he was definitely unique. I didn't have any strong negative feelings about him or anything, I just didn't know how to take him. He reminded me of Fred Armisen's character Fericito in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but I know (I think I know?) he wasn't being satirical. So I was mostly trying to figure out what was "happening" with him, and then suddenly his set was over--kind of like Fred Armisen's opening set at Lincoln Hall a couple of years ago, actually! The crowd was generally warm and didn't openly display any negative or rude behaviors that I recall. P, maybe you have a better summary?

There had been some people in the crowd, yelling "Don't do it," and things like that so Jeff jokingly took them to task after the song, saying that they were all "cold, heartless animals." 

I do believe his first comment was that they were assholes. :) He then downgraded them to cold, heartless animals.

— Strumming the opening chords to The Ruling Class, Jeff took note of the "smattering of applause." When the crowd began to cheer louder, Jeff said, "No no, I don't need your pity. It might look like I do; needy Tweedy." He stopped short of hashtagging it, though. :ninja

Ha! I had forgotten about this. Hashtag worthy, no doubt.

To revive something that used to happen from time to time on any given theme:-

I Am Trying To Wash Your Smalls

Kardigan

Hoodie Voodo

California Stains

One Sock

Skid Marks (Be Ashamed)

Way Over Yonder In The Mouldy Tee

Stinkin' Trousers

Suspenders (Some Morning Sometime)

Secrets of the Soap

Washday

Box Full of Laundry

Someone Else's Shirt

When The Fungi Are In Bloom

What Lice

You Never Sew

Heavy Metal Spincycle

Corduroy Cutoff Gear

How To Wash Linen Fresh

To revive something that used to happen from time to time on any given theme:-

I Am Trying To Wash Your Smalls

Kardigan

Hoodie Voodo

California Stains

One Sock

Skid Marks (Be Ashamed)

Way Over Yonder In The Mouldy Tee

Stinkin' Trousers

Suspenders (Some Morning Sometime)

Secrets of the Soap

Washday

Box Full of Laundry

Someone Else's Shirt

When The Fungi Are In Bloom

What Lice

You Never Sew

Heavy Metal Spincycle

Corduroy Cutoff Gear

How To Wash Linen Fresh

All thrown in with a healthy amount of Juan "Soapy" Wauters, right? (God, I was hoping no one beat me to that! :headbonk )

I don't really have too much to add about the aforementioned, except to say that I think he was received with a relatively open mind by the Omaha crowd (as Mrs. Ol' Boy said). Someone around me said they got a little bit of a Napoleon Dynamite vibe, and someone else said they didn't really know what to make of it but they were entertained. Mr. Wauters didn't have any of the accoutrements he had in Chicago, like his backdrop and flags, etc., so the visual presentation wasn't quite all there. Also, he barely played 20 minutes; I know because I could see the clock behind him. I think that was probably about the perfect time for him, but I swear he must have played a little longer in Chicago (he also played mostly acoustic guitar and then went over to the keyboard for a couple, whereas I think it was the reverse in Chicago).

Anyway, with his dance moves and hyper-earnest style, I personally couldn't help but be reminded at least a little of Jonathan Richman...but with much less memorable songs. :guitar

I see they did True Love Will Find You In The End again at this show. Does anyone know why that is not a song request option on the Wilcoworld.net page? Perhaps TPTB could be notified to rectify that? It does get played, after all. I would request it.

New to this forum. Great to read all the descriptions of the show in Omaha.  One of my favorite shows ever actually. Not knowing exactly how to go about this,so I'm just gonna ask: Is there a bootleg for this show anywhere?

Not sure --- but if one pops up, the link will be posted in the In a Future Age (Discussion & posting of audio/video torrents) Forum.