Wilco Houston show

Looking forward to tonight's show. However, I am quite surprised that it's not even close to being sold out and lower floor tickets are currently going for $18 on Stubhub. I have two extra that I am trying to unload and would like to get close to what I paid. I hope a bunch of empty seats doesn't put a damper on the mood of the band.

It's portable chairs in the lower or orchestra level and standard balcony seating up top. I was able to trade up my seats in the back for third row center (section 102, Row C). I have seen Wilco here twice when it was the Verizon, but this is the first time they have done seats on the floor.

I don't think Wilco has ever sold out a Houston show.  Not the last 3 I've seen.

Not to say the shows weren't great; they were.

I still haven't decided if I'm going.  Don't have a ticket yet so if someone is trying to off load one; PM me and maybe I'll bite.

Don't feel too bad. Florida is not making a great show of it yet, either. I found out that the Tallahassee show will have "first come, first serve" free admission for local university students, so why should they buy a ticket? There are a minimum of 100 seats left, some as close as 6th row on the side.

St. Augustine looks better as far as seats already sold (maybe around 2,300), but there are still tons of seats in the last upper tier, section 3. At least a few hundred, probably close to 1,000.

I mean, I don't expect every show to be a sellout, but come on, Florida! We don't have to be a tertiary market...do we?

St. Augustine looks better as far as seats already sold (maybe around 2,300), but there are still tons of seats in the last upper tier, section 3. At least a few hundred, probably close to 1,000.

I mean, I don't expect every show to be a sellout, but come on, Florida! We don't have to be a tertiary market...do we?

Were you at the last show in St. Augustine in 2012? The venue had so many empty seats, I figured Wilco would never come back. The upper tier is the only section that is uncovered. Until this week it has been super rainy and you're taking a real chance with the weather.

At any rate, I'm so excited they did decide to return and looking forward to the Orlando show, too! I hope the sound at that Hard Rock venue will be great.

** Oops, post completely unrelated to Houston show.

Sadly, none of this comes as a surprise to me, and it also explains a lot about why Wilco plays in the same larger markets so often. They are just about the textbook definition of a cult band. The people who their music resonates with, it does so in a big way. Obviously, most of us on this board fall into that camp. But there are so many people who just don't feel the magic. I have no idea what is wrong with them.

As to Florida being a tertiary market, welcome to the club. I live in Virginia and it's the same here, unless you're in the DC area, and maybe Charlottesville. I'm not happy about having to travel 3 or 4 hours to see music I love, but I've grown to accept it. I can't blame the good bands for not playing in my shitty backwater town, because the audiences here suck. The War on Drugs here was less than half full in a medium size venue, and they put on a fantastic show. Hiss Golden Messenger sold so few tickets at that same venue that they moved it to their attached bar/restaurant, and the turnout was akin to what you'd expect for a local band. 

That's one reason why I love seeing Wilco in Chicago, even though it involves a flight and hotels. I feel like they get back so much energy from the crowd that it makes the shows just extra special. Same with San Francisco, and I'm sure many other places as well. But basically, like when people whine on Facebook all the time about why don't you come here, or here, or here....well, I understand why.

Why not play smaller venues in cities that don't sell enough at the amphitheatres, theatres, etc.?

Why not play smaller venues in cities that don't sell enough at the amphitheatres, theatres, etc.?

Totally. I bug the hell out of the 1,800 person venue we have here in Chattanooga to book Wilco. They book bands that play the same size venues that wilco plays all the time. It would be a sell out for sure. I'm holding hope it will happen one day.

There are pluses and minuses to "Indie/Underground/or whatever you call it" concerts in South Florida.

The Con, is that a lot of artists don't ever tour here. I remember Dinosaur Jr. played Miami a couple years ago and they admitted it was the first time they had ever played south florida...this is a band that has been touring since the 80s....

the Pro? When bands do play here, it's never difficult to get tickets, most of the venues are small, and in most cases it's very easy to be right up front. I recently got 2nd row center tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel in Miami. How easy do you think it would be to get these tickets in say New York or Atlanta?

Everytime I've seen Wilco (except at Solid Sound) I was able to stand extremely close to the stage. no issues. I saw Tune-Yards a few weeks ago, and there were maybe 200 people there. Andrew Bird played in front of about 500 people a couple years ago.

Once again the con is that Wilco doesn't come to Florida every tour. It's usually every other tour. Funny enough the last time they played was when they did the Dylan tour soon after Solid Sound. It sucks that they aren't making more money, but the less people at a show, the better in my opinion. I mean I know the band needs to make money, but I prefer more intimate shows.

Were you at the last show in St. Augustine in 2012? The venue had so many empty seats, I figured Wilco would never come back. The upper tier is the only section that is uncovered. Until this week it has been super rainy and you're taking a real chance with the weather.

At any rate, I'm so excited they did decide to return and looking forward to the Orlando show, too! I hope the sound at that Hard Rock venue will be great.

** Oops, post completely unrelated to Houston show.

I've seen shows at Hard Rock. It has a great sound system. you won't be disappointed.

Well, we have totally derailed this thread talking about Florida, but screw it: the Houston show is over now, and people can talk about in the After the Show thread. :lol

I actually was at that St. Augustine show a couple years back, somewhere up in the 200s. I made a last minute decision to buy a ticket and drive up there because the show in Tampa two days earlier was so freaking hot, I had to have more. That is the farthest back I have ever been for a Wilco show. So yeah, you're right: you can still get tickets to these venues at the last minute, which is an overall bummer that nonetheless benefits us hardcore fan(atic)s. Other than that, I have typically been able to score sixth row or better, and have come to take it for granted that I will be that close. I'd be bummed if I couldn't.

Can rhino4evr, or anyone, really, give us some helpful hints on the Orlando Hard Rock? I have seen Wilco at the House of Blues (horrible venue) and at a place called Club Firestone, but never been to the Hard Rock. The parking and lining up for GA sounds like it could be a real cluster, due to the proximity to Disney and all that crap. Any advice would be welcome. I am hauling ass over there after work, so I doubt I will arrive before 7:15 or 7:30. Doors open at 7.

Well you park in the parking garage at universal studios, and it's usally not much of a wait in the early evening, as most people are leaving, not entering the park. You do have to walk like a quarter of a mile through a bunch of tourists and overpriced restaurants to get to the actual venue from the garage. Once there, the Hard Rock is kind of in it's own seperate place, so the tourist crowds die down. Since the doors open at 7, you probably won't have to wait much in line. I've always had assigned seats, so I can't really comment on how well the GA fills up. it's a pretty decent size theater.

Well you park in the parking garage at universal studios, and it's usally not much of a wait in the early evening, as most people are leaving, not entering the park. You do have to walk like a quarter of a mile through a bunch of tourists and overpriced restaurants to get to the actual venue from the garage. Once there, the Hard Rock is kind of in it's own seperate place, so the tourist crowds die down. Since the doors open at 7, you probably won't have to wait much in line. I've always had assigned seats, so I can't really comment on how well the GA fills up. it's a pretty decent size theater.

Thanks! I guess I will park and then walk as fast as I can through all that.

Edit: Any of you Florida peeps want to try to meet up in Orlando or St. Aug, send me a PM on here. I think my wife and I are meeting a friend of mine in Tally, but I'm going to the other shows on my own. Would be nice to meet some of you all. I think suites will be there, too.

OK, since we moved onto Florida. I can't wait. It's still freezing here, still snow in my yard. Selfishly happy these shows are not well attended. Saying at the Hard Rock and flying in that day. Just Orlando and St. Augustine. What should we do in between? Going with my husband who has seen the band once at Bridge School Festival 2003.

OK, since we moved onto Florida. I can't wait. It's still freezing here, still snow in my yard. Selfishly happy these shows are not well attended. Saying at the Hard Rock and flying in that day. Just Orlando and St. Augustine. What should we do in between? Going with my husband who has seen the band once at Bridge School Festival 2003.

Probably depends a lot on your age and interests. I know some folks are young enough and active enough to haul all over Disneyworld or Universal Studios all day, then be on their feet for another few hours at a general admission rock concert. That would KILL me. But I'm gonna be on my butt all day at work, then an hour and a half driving over there to Orlando, so I can take a GA show after work.

Plenty to do in Orlando, and St. Augustine is a great historic city...oldest established city in the U.S., I believe*. Get there early enough, you can see the old fort (Castillo de San Marcos), the light house....lots of haunted places there, they say.

* the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement in the continental United States. Thank you, wikipedia.

You could visit Deland, a really nice little town between Orlando and St. Augustine. A little ways off the interstate, but well worth it. Near Deland is Blue Springs State Park, a beautiful spot worth checking out. Deland has a sweet little downtown, with restaurants and antique shops.

The drive up A1A between Daytona and St. Augustine is great. Little beach towns and many miles of coastline.

You could visit Deland, a really nice little town between Orlando and St. Augustine. A little ways off the interstate, but well worth it. Near Deland is Blue Springs State Park, a beautiful spot worth checking out. Deland has a sweet little downtown, with restaurants and antique shops.

The drive up A1A between Daytona and St. Augustine is great. Little beach towns and many miles of coastline.

I was looking at Blue Springs online, glad to know that it's worth checking out! Thanks again.

I was looking at Blue Springs online, glad to know that it's worth checking out! Thanks again.

I have camped at Blue Spring State Park and will add my thumbs up, too.