Any musicians left...

working on tons of stuff! got three project running right now. Releasing an album today actually! got it pressed to vinyl the wholeeee nine yards. Psyched for the big album release show tonight. 

Take a listen!

http://worriedwell.bandcamp.com/

Nice work, very "pro" sounding production.  Kind of sounds like Ben Gibbard singing for the Gaslight Anthem, if you like that. 

Now I'm considering doing a Jazzmaster project with my dad, who is a very talented woodworker.  He's not getting any younger, and it'd be nice to have something that we built together that I can use for the rest of my life, and eventually pass down through the family (surely at least one of my nieces or nephews will be into guitars, right?).  I figure we can use the body of my Squier Jazzmaster as a template for a new body.  This will give us complete freedom of wood choice and paint/stain color.  I could get a neck and all the electronics and hardware elsewhere.   His name's Brad, so maybe I can get an artist friend to paint Brad-o-caster in a Fender-esque script on the headstock.

This sounds like a cool project --- would be great if you share some pic's along the way. 

Guitar making, which I know nothing about - has always been fascinating to me.

With regards to the thread -- I haven't played much at all as of late --- did write something, lyric wise, this week that sounds and looks good - but who knows what I will do with it.

• 3 weeks later...

My band and I recorded our 2nd album this year back in April and we're getting ready to release it later this month.  Our first album was completely engineered, produced and mixed by me - this time our songs were all operating on such a higher level, I wanted to get a proper recording to give the tunes as much of a chance as possible to be heard.  Initially we recorded 2 songs at a studio in Glendale, CA where we got a really good rate for a few hours and I mixed/produced the first single myself and put it out back in February.  We had planned on recording the whole album there and self-mixing/producing again until they wouldn't give us the price break anymore and I decided that if I was gonna spend a good amount of money, I wanted to do it at a better studio with people who actually might care about the music we set out to make.  My brother plays in a great experimental/psychedelic rock band from Denver, CO and through him I ended up being introduced to Antoine Arvizu (incredible drummer, engineer for Sublime's 40 oz to Freedom album, engineer at Capitol Studios for a number of years and producer who's worked with Ryan Bingham, Free Moral Agents. Avi Buffalo and many more).  I chatted with Antoine about the record we wanted to make and our budget we were hoping to hit.  Our whole band went down to Long Beach to meet him and check out his space - The Compound Studio.  We all knew we wanted to record with him in that space.  It had such great mojo and so did Antoine.  He agred to work on our record and gave us 2 days to record, plus agreed to mix all our tracks.  We cut 5 songs in 2 days - mostly recorded live with vocals done separately and limited overdubs.  All the jam sections were all done live including any guitar or key solos.  We didn't go back and redo much.  We had worked on the songs and rehearsed them for a few months leading up to recording, so we were ready to play when the session came.  It was great getting to track altogether - guitar/bass/piano/drums - I think the energy of the tracks really benefited from the group vibe.  I've always liked that about A Ghost Is Born and the newer records where Wilco is just basically in the studio recording live and I knew I wanted us to be able to record our album that way.  I'm really glad we got into a situation where it was possible.  The only things we overdubbed ended up being organ parts (Hammond B-3 with a Leslie Cabinet!) and the acoustic guitar parts.  Once we got into mixing, I was just blown away by the work Antoine did with our tracks and even had him go back and re-mix the tracks I had mixed from the other studio.  He was just that good and I knew my mixes couldn't compete, so I didn't really mind spending extra at that point to make it happen.  The record was just so good to my ears that I couldn't help but do everything in my power to get it sounding it's best.  I ended up mastering the tracks and we are all super stoked to be putting this album out soon.  We headlined a psychedelic rock night at The Viper Room to kick off promotion for the album and released this track titled Feel Your way in advance of the gig...

Now I'm considering doing a Jazzmaster project with my dad, who is a very talented woodworker.  He's not getting any younger, and it'd be nice to have something that we built together that I can use for the rest of my life, and eventually pass down through the family (surely at least one of my nieces or nephews will be into guitars, right?).  I figure we can use the body of my Squier Jazzmaster as a template for a new body.  This will give us complete freedom of wood choice and paint/stain color.  I could get a neck and all the electronics and hardware elsewhere.   His name's Brad, so maybe I can get an artist friend to paint Brad-o-caster in a Fender-esque script on the headstock.

This is awesome. Please share pics of the process if this happens!

This is awesome. Please share pics of the process if this happens!

Will do. Neither of us have any skills specific to guitar building, so it'd be a learning process. but I figure solidbody electric is about as easy as guitar making gets. There's a woodworking store near my house that has some lutherie books. I'll need to go down there and check some of those out. I'm also still trying to decide on body shape. Copying an existing model, or designing something original. I figure we'll copy the routing for pickups/wiring/switches from an existing model, but I might play around with the body shape.

My band and I recorded our 2nd album this year...

Thanks for sharing that. Sounds really great!

• 4 weeks later...

Digging Feel Your Way, especially the lead electric guitar sound.

Thanks!  To get the lead sound on the riff part I doubled over the original take with my fuzz box settings slightly adjusted and my guitar set on a different pickup.  The lead sound on the jam is just the single track from the original take.

Our whole album is streaming on Spotify starting today for anyone who uses that - just search Northern Strangers Where The River Goes or go here.

We put out a music video for Feel Your Way last week too!

• 3 weeks later...

Doing this next Saturday...should be fun! If anyone is in the Western New York area...hope to see you there!!
"On Saturday October 3rd The Dryden Theatre (at The George Eastman House, 900 East Ave, Rochester, NY) is showing "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"- a documentary on Wilco & the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". While the film starts at 8:00, the festivities begin there at 7:15 with John Link leading "The Kay-Settes (Starring Butcher's Blind)" for some pre-film live musical fun. After that the party moves to The Skylark Lounge (40 S. Union St.) where The Great Lates DJ Collective will be spinning all sorts of rare & unreleased Wilco music amidst a small installation of the art/memorobilia of Wilco."

https://www.facebook.com/events/538785089602954/

Doing this next Saturday...should be fun! If anyone is in the Western New York area...hope to see you there!!

"On Saturday October 3rd The Dryden Theatre (at The George Eastman House, 900 East Ave, Rochester, NY) is showing "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"- a documentary on Wilco & the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot". While the film starts at 8:00, the festivities begin there at 7:15 with John Link leading "The Kay-Settes (Starring Butcher's Blind)" for some pre-film live musical fun. After that the party moves to The Skylark Lounge (40 S. Union St.) where The Great Lates DJ Collective will be spinning all sorts of rare & unreleased Wilco music amidst a small installation of the art/memorobilia of Wilco."

https://www.facebook.com/events/538785089602954/

Sounds rad!

• 4 months later...

I decided to buy myself a few musical toys this month. I got a Pignose amp, which has been a lot of fun, and much easier/quicker than plugging into a "real" amp.  Also, it's much more suitable for my living arrangements than using even my lowest powered real amp.

I also got a ride cymbal that I'm happy with.  I've been playing drums since the '80s and I've never had a ride cymbal that I was completely happy with, or that was versatile enough to cover different music styles.  I got a 22" Dream "Energy" ride.  Dream is a new-ish cymbal company that is significantly cheaper than the well known brands, but of comparable or even superior quality.  I'm supposed to be jamming with my crew tonight, and I'm looking forward to putting some more miles on this cymbal.

I have a Bruno Underground 30 amp that I love but I'm getting too old to cart it around to gigs. Plus I don't need anything that big for the gigs we play. Thinking about a Mesa Boogie or Fender Princeton. Really need something that can give me a good SRV type sound but still scream for rock stuff. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a Traynor YCV20?  I used to have one, and I regret letting it go.  It had an amazing sound. Not sure if it's what you're after, but if you get a chance to try one out, I say go for it.  I'd be tempted to trade my Deluxe Reverb for another one, but I've learned that trying to replace gear that I regret getting rid of usually doesn't work.

Have you tried a Traynor YCV20? I used to have one, and I regret letting it go. It had an amazing sound. Not sure if it's what you're after, but if you get a chance to try one out, I say go for it. I'd be tempted to trade my Deluxe Reverb for another one, but I've learned that trying to replace gear that I regret getting rid of usually doesn't work.

I'll check it out!