Pat playing Impossible Germany solo

I was sitting/standing at the Bloomington show the other night and I mentioned I would like to hear Pat play the Impossible Germany solo. Is this blasphemy??? taboo???...am I this spoiled???...will the mods ban me for this??? Just thought it would be interesting to hear someone else's twist on this. 

For the record Nels appeared to be really dialed in Friday night, I think he liked the room from his vantage point. "BBN" into "Its Just That Simple" hootenanny style might just have been the pinnacle of my live Wilco experiences. That is the way BBN should be played and I just love when John gets to sing one, he just strikes me as one of the most genuinely grateful musicians that he gets to entertain every night. 

Having Pat shred something is a good idea.  I do love the duel on Hoodoo Voodoo between them. 

That is the way BBN should be played

With all due respect, sir, this is not correct. 

While any BBN is indeed a good thing, and the acoustic version is sublime and powerful and amazing and inspiring... loudness = goodness on that particular tune.

... great seeing you there Friday.  :cheers

That's kind of like asking Ron Harper to take the last shot when you've got Michael Jordan on the court! You could do it, but why bother?! :guitar

Jeff has said that Pat's the most talented guy in the band so I think the Ron Harper comparison is a little rough. With Pat's versatility I'd go Pippen.

So it would be like Pippen taking the shot...caveat being you know he is going to make it. Its not like Pat is just going to completely fuck it up, drop his guitar and walk off stage never to play again. I'm sure Pat knows his way around a guitar solo...I've also always felt like his keyboard work just jumps out of the speakers. 

...and you Mr.Ashtray...for the record I could hear you drooling 2 rows back at the end of "You Satellite". I know your preferences by now and acoustic is not at the top of the description. I believe your exact words were "thats a keeper". 

...and you Mr.Ashtray...for the record I could hear you drooling 2 rows back at the end of "You Satellite". I know your preferences by now and acoustic is not at the top of the description. I believe your exact words were "thats a keeper". 

Guilty as charged on the drooling.  In 5 years I'll have a YOU SATELLITE sign in the collection. 

I don't doubt that Pat can solo with the best of them and do a great job musically, and maybe even add something special  to that solo. But to me his body language always seemed forced or rock star cliché.' When Nels plays his body language is so natural and emotional. It adds to his play. 

Nels plays with much more natural body emotion then Pat and that's what adds to my enjoyment of watching live music.

I think we all agree it's an "apples and oranges" comparison, but still fun to consider Pat playing the IG solo. As far as Pat's guitar moves being cliché rock star styling, I think they are executed in a fairly tongue-in-cheek manner and as an homage to guitar god Pete Townshend. Pat doesn't bust out the windmill unless he's really feeling it. I've been at a few shows where he is subdued to the point of looking almost bored.

As far as Pat's guitar moves being cliché rock star styling, I think they are executed in a fairly tongue-in-cheek manner and as an homage to guitar god Pete Townshend. Pat doesn't bust out the windmill unless he's really feeling it. I've been at a few shows where he is subdued to the point of looking almost bored.

That's my point. He doesn't play with any natural emotion. He seems to either emulate or show nothing. Nels i "believe" when he is playing like a maniac. Nothing seems forced. I'm glad Pat is part of this band but not to the point he needs to take any of the lime light away from Nels while playing live. I don't think he "feels" the music like the rest of the boys.

I think it would be fun to hear Pat play it. IG is played so frequently (and it's never been high on my list) that a little shake-up would be welcome -- for me, anyway.

at one of the shows i was at, jeff and pat were side by side during the solo, and they totally ignored nels.... could happen!

That's my point. He doesn't play with any natural emotion. He seems to either emulate or show nothing. Nels i "believe" when he is playing like a maniac. Nothing seems forced. I'm glad Pat is part of this band but not to the point he needs to take any of the lime light away from Nels while playing live. I don't think he "feels" the music like the rest of the boys.

I think everyone's got different ways of "feeling" the music. Just because it's not showing outwardly doesn't mean he's not feeling it. I love watching Pat play. His style is relaxed and flowing and he plays with such ease and grace. I also really enjoy Nels' playing but, man, I tense up a lot when I watch him as he's getting toward the end of an Impossible Germany solo. No wonder he needs to ice his neck constantly.