Coachella plans massive classic rock concert

The company that stages the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is planning a three-night event featuring Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Neil Young and Pink Floyd's Roger Waters — all Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees — Oct. 7-9 at the Empire Polo Field in Indio

Tickets will probably cost a fortune. They might as well try to talk Led Zeppelin into reuniting while they're at it.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-coachella-mega-rock-concert-20160415-story.html

Seems to be asking a lot for a bunch of older fans drag their fat butts to the desert for three days in a row at a high cost, but it will probably sell out. I'm 2 hours away, might go for a day if the cost is under $100 for the day. Imagine they'll be selling only weekend passes only though.

Whoa, whoa, careful with all this California Jam talk......we don't want to invoke the spirit of Wereo, one of the worst internet trolls in the history of mankind.

I'd love to see Roger Waters doing a varied set rather than the Wall.

I saw Waters on the Dark Side tour. First set was varied, second Dark Side. It was just overproduced, bloated, which suits the Wall well. Gilmour would get me tempted to make the trip, they should try to get him.

The six acts have never shared a billing before, and it also would be the first time that Dylan and ex-Beatle McCartney — representing what are widely considered the two most important rock acts of the 1960s — have played on the same bill, albeit on different nights.

Except Live Aid - as long as they're using albeits this counts, albeit on separate continents.

• 2 weeks later...

This festival must be happening:

Teaser videos outlets tied to a possible music festival were shared on Facebook by The Who, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters and Bob Dylan. Each video ended with the word "October."

Saw an article, maybe in WSJ, that estimated weekend passes would be in the $600 - $900 range. Prepare for the lamest crowd in the history of rock. They better have a seated area, because most of these geezers don't like to stand for concerts. 

I was wondering about Dylan because his current setlists are void of almost all classics. He throws in a few but this setlist will not sit well with 80k. They want the classics.

It will be interesting. V

Sounds like they are only going to have about 40,000 people, to make it more old people friendly. That is why the ticket price will be higher than Coachella. I saw Phish there with under 40,000. Lots of room to stretch with fewer people and stages compared to Coachella.

Dead & Company would seem like another obvious choice for this thing. 

I saw Waters on the Dark Side tour. First set was varied, second Dark Side. It was just overproduced, bloated, which suits the Wall well. Gilmour would get me tempted to make the trip, they should try to get him.

I seem to recall reading that when he did those Wall shows there was a lot of lip-syncing going on. I wonder if that is true. 

I seem to recall reading that when he did those Wall shows there was a lot of lip-syncing going on. I wonder if that is true. 

I would say yes it is true....Click tracks, backing tracks, helping vocal track.

Lip Syncing has gone hi tech...not just press a button a mouth words much more tech.  with some of the live voice and a "helping tape".

I saw the wall show a few times and it looked canned...plus I heard if you recorded the shows they where almost all the same total time.

Saw an article, maybe in WSJ, that estimated weekend passes would be in the $600 - $900 range. Prepare for the lamest crowd in the history of rock. They better have a seated area, because most of these geezers don't like to stand for concerts. 

Prices are not that bad is you go for GA...overall cheaper then a Stones Show.   Add in the hotels for 3 nights and travel...now you are talking $$$$

I was wondering about Dylan because his current setlists are void of almost all classics. He throws in a few but this setlist will not sit well with 80k. They want the classics.

It will be interesting. V

This was Dylan setlist a few nights ago...this will go over like a "led zeppelin" to quote Mr. Moon.

set1

01. set1 guitar intro.

02. Things Have Changed

03. She Belongs To Me

04. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'

05. What'll I Do

06. Duquesne Whistle

07. Melancholy Mood

08. Pay In Blood

09. I'm A Fool To Want You

10. That Old Black Magic

11. Tangled Up In Blue

set2

12. set2 guitar intro.

13. High Water

14. Why Try To Change Me Now

15. Early Roman Kings

16. The Night We Called It A Day

17. Spirit On The Water

18. Scarlet Town

19. All Or Nothing At All

20. Long And Wasted Years

21. Autumn Leaves

(encore)

22. Blowin' In The Wind

23. Love Sick

I think that Dylan set is fine, but, maybe not for festival like this.

So there are only going to be two bands per night - not much of a festival.

I was expecting more bands scattered during the day - then again the 'probably' older crowd would not want an all day type festival.

I think that Dylan set is fine, but, maybe not for festival like this.

that's been his standard set all year. at festivals he usually throws in some of the crowd favourites, like Rainy day women, Hard rain. (but dont hold your breath for Like a rolling stone. he hasnt touched that one for a few years.

however, bob and mick have done at a festival in 1998, and since the Stones are also on the bill, you never know

ah, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7_FfGJI0E