Wow...when is the last time the Stones opened for someone? 53 years ago perhaps

I'm reading it the other way. Either way, they all get the same stage time. I would think Dylan following the Stones would be anti-climatic, in a sense....

Dylan although a genius, his live shows are not exciting nor up to snuff in my opinion.

I saw Dylan on the Americana tour, be it from far away in a large venue lawn, and if it wasn't for the guilt being a music lover I would have walked out. The lyrics were unintelligible. I also saw Neil a few years ago and he was straight mailing it in. Same setlist as last show, zero banter or even crowd acknowledgement whatsoever. I'd say these shows will have a different vibe and the guys will step up their games in the presence of each other. The prospect of an all 6 encore might justify the expense.

I've seen Dylan a bunch of times since '86 and he's definitely more miss than hit. Most of the time he is, I agree, unintelligible. I recently acquired a bunch of (gasp) cassettes of Dylan shows spanning from the early 60s to early 80s and there's some great stuff in there that just doesn't seem to carry on into the last couple decades or so with him. I realize age and the voice going a bit has merit, but man most of the time from the mid-80s on his life stuff sounds like a gruff chipmunk just barking half-lines of lyrics out (at least that's what it appeared to me on the jumbo screen at a show in the 80s)....

Neil opened his set at the Beale St Music fest a few nights ago with a 40 minute Down by the River. Heard Neil accused of many things in the past, but mailing it in is not one of them. If he loses interest in something, he just stops doing it with no regard for the consequences. Your experience may be different, put the two times I've seen him in the past 2 years, solo acoustic and electric, have been astounding. Completely different shows, wonderfully played, energetic and passionate. 

I was at a NY solo show at the Chicago theatre when he cut the show short due to the drunken crowd. The following nights set list was amazing in part thanks to no alcohol sales at the show.

It was quite an unruly crowd. Someone thought it wise to flood out the lower floor bathrooms. Someone else was handing out bottles of champagne in front of the theatre, steps away from the ticket takers at the door. And then the crowd wouldn't hush up, even when Neil said something about it.

I was at a NY solo show at the Chicago theatre when he cut the show short due to the drunken crowd. The following nights set list was amazing in part thanks to no alcohol sales at the show.

The next night was my first NY show. Just a kid, owned Decade, Harvest, Harvest Moon, had no idea what was in store, thought it was just a classic rocker past his prime. Great show.

This whole thing seems like a disastrous miscalculation.

I'm not going and it is aimed squarely at my demographic (me not going has nothing to do with it), but it does seem like alot of bother for a bunch of oldesters like this.  

LouieB

Younger people still dig the Stones and The Who and Pink Floyd (maybe not Dylan and Neil as much).  I've heard (seen on FB) from plenty of folks in their 20s, 30s, and 40s who are planning to go (or at least expressed desire to go)....The crowd isn't going to be all 60-70 yr old white males....

Well no, Recently I read that old music is outselling new music, so you are correct, plenty of younger people are going to go see the end of an era I guess.  

The new New Yorker features and article about the new Paul Simon album.  They should throw him on the pile as an opener.

LouieB

Hey JW Harding.....you should get the Dreamin' Man CD......"Natural Beauty" was recorded at the show you saw. Great version too.

Neil opened his set at the Beale St Music fest a few nights ago with a 40 minute Down by the River. Heard Neil accused of many things in the past, but mailing it in is not one of them. If he loses interest in something, he just stops doing it with no regard for the consequences. Your experience may be different, put the two times I've seen him in the past 2 years, solo acoustic and electric, have been astounding. Completely different shows, wonderfully played, energetic and passionate. 

The show I mentioned was on the LeNoise Tour. He played the same set in the same order as the last 4 or 5 shows and he was solo. Played the whole show on "Old Black" which should have made it awesome in itself but the show just never climaxed then it was over and we all know that feeling. It was an ok show, its just hard to feel engaged when a guy plays 2 hours without saying a word. Bert Jansch opened up who also doesn't speak but was excellent to watch. It was a $100 balcony seat too.

Hey JW Harding.....you should get the Dreamin' Man CD......"Natural Beauty" was recorded at the show you saw. Great version too.

Yeah, I've got it. You can see a snipet of Greg Kot's Tribune review of the show in the notes. Also, got the Rolling Stone collector's issue on Neil Young that came out a year or so ago. They list it as one of his best shows all time, or mention it in some way. Great show, still not as good as the Horde Show in Tinley Park 97, that featured a torrential downpour, power outage, and subsequent sonic assault. Made it to front row for that one, with water rising up to my knees. Was a bit worried about being electrocuted, until Neil started Like a Hurricane. Rock n roll.

The show I mentioned was on the LeNoise Tour. He played the same set in the same order as the last 4 or 5 shows and he was solo. Played the whole show on "Old Black" which should have made it awesome in itself but the show just never climaxed then it was over and we all know that feeling. It was an ok show, its just hard to feel engaged when a guy plays 2 hours without saying a word. Bert Jansch opened up who also doesn't speak but was excellent to watch. It was a $100 balcony seat too.

I can see how that would be a bit monotonous live. I have the DVD from that tour, found it to be pretty stunning. But I love that album too.

Below is a stream of the WTTW show, that he performed on the 17th, the day before the Chicago Theater shows. I think I have the video on my hard drive, but not sure. That Dreamin' Man cd is a great one.

http://www.panicstream.net/vault/neil-young-11171992-chicago-il/

Also Tim Roth's interview with Neil from the same Centerstage show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riW8yiHbFZU

Interesting that I just saw an ad for this show on the local ABC-TV station all the way across the country in NYC!

I can't remember ever seeing a TV ad for a concert farther away than Atlantic City or the Poconos. Just seemed a little weird to me.