How would you describe Wilco to someone?

I read this somewhere and agreed with it completely. 

"Someone asked me about Wilco and I gave this explanation. There are these good bands and I really like them, then there are these great bands and I love them. Then there's Wilco, and I listen to them and it just settles in my soul."

I've had a few friends here and there tell me they just "can't get into" Wilco. My response is always to say, "I bet somewhere in their catalog there's an album worth of songs that would get you on board." Not really a description, but it has always worked to make them give the band another shot and usually me a chance to make a Wilco mix. :)

I've had a few friends here and there tell me they just "can't get into" Wilco. My response is always to say, "I bet somewhere in their catalog there's an album worth of songs that would get you on board." Not really a description, but it has always worked to make them give the band another shot and usually me a chance to make a Wilco mix. :)

My younger sister has told me that "Heavy Metal Drummer" is the only song she likes by Wilco. I've never gotten around to making her a mix. :P

I had to drag a couple of friends to see Wilco, and they've been huge fans ever since.

I actually think Whole Love is the best starter album, as it really shows all of their talents as the current band. The older albums are starting to sound a little dated, especially when compared to the live material. I still love them though.

I always describe them as one of the best rock bands on the planet.

There was definitely a period where I would describe Wilco as the American equivalent of Radiohead. They were doing to Americana/folk music what Radiohead did to British rock. But after Sky Blue Sky, Whole Love, etc, I don't know if that's really true anymore. But I think in the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/A Ghost Is Born era, it was sort of fitting.

At this point after 10 albums maybe it's easier to describe them on an album-by-album basis.

I've almost quit trying to explain Wilco musically to people. I used to burn people copies of Kicking Television if I wanted to "convert" them but I think people get scared on about the 27th "nothing" of Misunderstood. Nowadays I will hand someone a copy of Sky Blue Sky and in my opinion if that doesn't grab you Wilco probably isn't your thing. Then again you could always just say they are  "the American Radiohead" which we've discussed liberally here about how ignorant that comparison is.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of country, bit of rock melody, with abstract poetic lyrics with a dash of feedback and experimental jamming....yeh that should turn them on!

I took a friend to his first show last night at Pritzker. Going in, I think the only song he knew the words to was 'California Stars'. But he was totally blown away by the show. His reaction was that it sounded like a cool fusion of rock, folk, country, jazz, blues, and a dose of whatever the hell Nels is doing. I think he spend today scanning YouTube for shows.

He said seeing them live was so much better than listening to the albums over the last couple weeks. Reminded me of how we used to describe the Grateful Dead back in the day.

So if someone told me to describe Wilco, I'd tell them to go see a show. Better than any live band performing today.