Thoughts on the Democratic National Convention

Anyone gonna miss Obama? That is how you give a speech.

It was such a masterful speech, hitting on every important point that need to be addressed, but with appropriate lead-in so that you simply couldn't reasonably disagree. It's not just his words, it's their timing and his delivery. I was taken aback when they cut to an audience shot of Bernie right after Obama's statement about "If you agree that there's too much inequlity in our economy, and too much money in our politics, we all need to be as vocal and as organized and as persistent as Bernie Sanders' supporters have been during this election. We all need to get out and vote for Democrats up and down the ticket, and then hold them accountable until they get the job done. That's right, feel the Bern." There Bernie sat--not standing, not applauding--with a tight grimace on his face. He's giving lip service to his endorsement of Hillary, not the full-throated endorsement we're hearing from Biden and Obama. Mercifully I don't think they cut to him when he said "you can't afford to stay home just because she might not align with you on every issue. You got to get in the arena with her, because democracy isn't a spectator sport. America isn't about "yes he will" it's about "yes we can". And we're going to carry Hillary to victory this fall, because that's what the moment demands."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There Bernie sat--not standing, not applauding--with a tight grimace on his face. He's giving lip service to his endorsement of Hillary, not the full-throated endorsement we're hearing from Biden and Obama.

Maybe he was mad because he got beat up by some Democrat goons.  That's what some on the far right fringe are saying, anyway.

http://halturnershow.com/index.php/news/world-news/113-was-bernie-sanders-physically-beaten-up-at-democrat-convention

Holy fuck are there crazies out there.

I just found out a guy I went to high school with went on a hunger strike because Hillary is the nominee instead of Bernie.  Apparently he is delegate.  

He was a nut case in high school and apparently he still is.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/wisconsin-delegate-goes-on-hunger-strike-for-bernie-sanders-b99767550z1-388182622.html

Last night my wife reminded me of the PUMA's who supported Clinton in 08. I forgot all about them. I do wonder how I would have reacted if Obama would have lost in the '08 primery - the wife and I were involved in the campaign, etc --- I don't remember ever thinking that I wouldn't vote for Clinton, though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/they-were-hillary-clintons-die-hard-loyalists-heres-where-they-are-now/2015/05/02/82025cf2-e92a-11e4-aae1-d642717d8afa_story.html

When other Democrats put away their swords and rallied behind Barack Obama, the resisters responded: “Party unity, my ass!” — hence the nickname PUMA

The NBC talking are being pretty savage to Clinton. Interesting.

Though I do agree the speech was pointed towards progressives rather than bringing in the disillusioned republicans out there. But I guess what did they expect?

It was a deeply different speech from Trump's. In tone, tenor and demeanor.

I just found out a guy I went to high school with went on a hunger strike because Hillary is the nominee instead of Bernie.  Apparently he is delegate.  

He was a nut case in high school and apparently he still is.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/wisconsin-delegate-goes-on-hunger-strike-for-bernie-sanders-b99767550z1-388182622.html

Good strategy.  Hunger strikes always work.