Thoughts on the Democratic National Convention

I've never heard Reagan's run described as "poor leadership," or lumped in with the mediocre POTUSes from the 70s. Reagan's presidency is generally viewed favorably by historians:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Early reviews put him no lower than the 3rd quartile, but his reviews have gotten more positive in time, with some putting him in the 1st quartile

Well there's Reaganomics, Iran-contra, the savings and loan crisis and he ruined the EPA with industry corruption. Don't believe me? Ask the Dead Kennedys!

But we digress.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different, for obvious reasons, but he did good job. Hillary Clinton's little talk was odd - not sure if the music was suppose to stop, but it was distracting. I am sure they will get some flack for the theatrics.

Nice touch for Sanders to declare an end to the delegate vote - just like Hillary Clinton did in 2008.

Also nice touch that a childhood friend of hers announced her Illinois' delegate count.

Elizabeth Banks' MC gig appeared to be horribly stage managed, and she did a pretty crappy job rolling with it.  Long, silent walks from the wings to the podium in between each speaker. Saying out loud that the teleprompter had the wrong script.  Numerous instances of giving the what the fuck is going on glare to the stage crew.  Surprisingly unprofessional.

Bill Clinton's walk-on music:  Two Tickets to Paradise.

Agree about Banks - horrible job.

Did you ever find out who's in the house band, jff -- or is the music canned -- I never noticed a band playing, but they may be off or near-off stage.

Did you ever find out who's in the house band, jff -- or is the music canned -- I never noticed a band playing, but they may be off or near-off stage.

No, and I'm kind of surprised that it's so hard to find out who it is.  Based on the walk-on music ending at precisely the moment each speaker arrives at the podium (but not in a "fade out now" type of ending), I'm pretty sure it's not canned music. 

On night one, there were a bunch of instances of the mic being silent for the first few seconds of some of the speeches, so I'm guessing Banks was dealing with a number of production foul-ups that were beyond her control.

Nice touch for Sanders to declare an end to the delegate vote - just like Hillary Clinton did in 2008.

Nearly but not exactly the same - Clinton suspended the roll call in 2008 and released her delegates before Obama reached the number needed. The full roll call happened yesterday with Vermont passing its turn so Sanders could release his delegates/suspend the roll call at the end, way after Hillary had the numbers needed. Not sure if she had the numbers when it was Vermont's initial turn, but it seemed like more of a concession to Bernie supporters than Hillary's got in 2008.

Nearly but not exactly the same - Clinton suspended the roll call in 2008 and released her delegates before Obama reached the number needed. The full roll call happened yesterday with Vermont passing its turn so Sanders could release his delegates/suspend the roll call at the end, way after Hillary had the numbers needed. Not sure if she had the numbers when it was Vermont's initial turn, but it seemed like more of a concession to Bernie supporters than Hillary's got in 2008.

I want to say that Hillary did have the magic number when they got to Vermont - but I can be wrong about that , though I did watch the roll call yesterday -- it was interesting that the DNC did not show the actual tally in the hall during the roll call.

I am sure Sanders stipulated that he wanted all the States to do their thing, prior to him declaring an end -- which is probably the right thing to do, anyway.

Good point about Clinton in 2008 - I forgot that she squashed it when it got to New York.

(just checked - South Dakota put Clinton over the top - so she did have enough, prior to Vermont)

C-SPAN showed a real time tally during the roll call.

Yeah -- i meant on the actual hall screens -- so the people in the actual hall, unless they were paying attention via phones or jotting down the numbers - didn't know.

Yeah -- i meant on the actual hall screens -- so the people in the actual hall, unless they were paying attention via phones or jotting down the numbers - didn't know.

You're right, and I agree.  They should have been using the screens so people in attendance could see the tally.  The fact that they didn't do that speaks to what I was saying earlier about the poor stage production of this event.  But to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe there was a display that was visible to attendees, but not TV viewers.

You're right, and I agree.  They should have been using the screens so people in attendance could see the tally.  The fact that they didn't do that speaks to what I was saying earlier about the poor stage production of this event.  But to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe there was a display that was visible to attendees, but not TV viewers.

I would have thought there would have been some sort of reaction from within the hall once Clinton surpassed the magic number, though.

It may be typical though --- the whole not showing the tally from within the hall, I don't know.

I would have thought there would have been some sort of reaction from within the hall once Clinton surpassed the magic number, though.

It may be typical though --- the whole not showing the tally from within the hall, I don't know.

Yes, I thought the same thing.  I thought it was odd not to have a display, but I can see the value in not having a display inside the hall, to avoid exactly that scenario.  They didn't want the crowd to go wild upon hitting the magic number, and all the remaining states to become an afterthought. That's the egalitarian approach, and I can respect that.

My wife just described Tim Kaine as hokey. Pretty apt description IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then after his speech, the MSNBC commentators were talking about him as the guy who drives a Minivan and you would see at your daughter's soccer practice. I guess I'm hokey. 

Great night last night. They should have put Kaine on Tuesday night or even tonight - he was a bit out classed last night - though Kaine didn't too bad.

Bloomberg was effective, too.

If I was the DNC, I probably would not have put Leon Panetta on stage - of course he was going to get the wrath of Sanders supporters, but I would guess Panetta knew that going in -- it was an awkward speech and not very effective. I don't think DNC needed him to go on stage to talk about Trump's lack of foreign policy at all - I think we all get it, already.

The great speeches from Michelle and Pres. Obama, Biden, Sanders, and Warren could backfire on Clinton. I don't think she has ever been a great orator.

They should have scheduled my mayor, Kasim Reed, a terrible speaker who bored everyone to tears last night, right before HIllary instead of right after Biden. 

The great speeches from Michelle and Pres. Obama, Biden, Sanders, and Warren could backfire on Clinton. I don't think she has ever been a great orator.

I think the strategy of stuffing out-of-the-park speeches steeped in full-throated endorsements of Hillary as a lead-in to her speech could work in her favor. So much goodwill toward her has been built up now, she may not need as much of a stellar performance than she would have if the convention was less successful so far.

Good point. While I realize the sexist implications of calling her shrill, I'm afraid that's how she'll come off. Whether in this address or (preferably) in a press conference, she'll need a very complete and contrite accounting of the email situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk