The 50 Best Alt-Country Albums of All Time - Paste Magazine

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/08/the-50-best-alt-country-albums-of-all-time.html?a=1

Some nice albums on the list including Wilco, Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Quite a good list overall the only obvious omission being Whiskeytown (which the comments make a vocal call for). An enjoyable read though.

That's not how my list would look, that's for sure. There's a few albums I'd say are not even country on there, Bright Eyes for instance (which has one song I'd classify as country). Magnolia Electric Co should be much higher. Also no Sadies? Seriously? Wait, where was Neil Young? Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn make it on but no Neil?!   :canada
Although to be fair, I do agree with their #1.

That's not how my list would look, that's for sure. There's a few albums I'd say are not even country on there, Bright Eyes for instance (which has one song I'd classify as country). Magnolia Electric Co should be much higher. Also no Sadies? Seriously? Wait, where was Neil Young? Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn make it on but no Neil?!   :canada

Although to be fair, I do agree with their #1.

Cassadega has a lot of country influence and feel going for it.  I don't know if I'd call it alt-country but it's the most country Bright Eyes album in my view.  And a damn good album at that.

Surprised to see Emotionalism ranked above Being There... It's a great album, but it's no Being There.

Cassadega has a lot of country influence and feel going for it.  I don't know if I'd call it alt-country but it's the most country Bright Eyes album in my view.  And a damn good album at that.

Surprised to see Emotionalism ranked above Being There... It's a great album, but it's no Being There.

This. And I'm a huge Avetts fan, especially of their earlier stuff. Four Thieves Gone is a great album.

The glaring omission for me is Richard Buckner. "Bloomed" and/or "Devotion & Doubt" SHOULD be on that list. And yeah, Howe Gelb deserves a spot.

"March...", "Being There", "Trace" and "Anodyne" got good rankings, which they deserve.

"Hollywood Town Hall" is an all-timer...glad to see that at #10.

Reading the list makes me want to listen to some of those which I have not heard and re-listen to those I haven't heard in a long time.