Best use of music in a TV or film scene

i guess it took until page 3 for a mention of Mike Oldfield's _Tubular Bells_ and _The Exorcist_, so here it is.

Emil Amos (Grails, OM, Holy Sons, etc) has a podcast called Drifter's Sympathy, and he made an excellent point in Episode 10 how that particular piece of music had a lasting impact on horror movies and soundtracks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Nilsson-"Jump Into The Fire" from Goodfellas when Henry is cooking dinner, Michael is being reminded to stir the sauce, helicopters are hovering and Henry is coked out of his brain. Excellent stuff.... I've always thought Goodfellas was really well done soundtrack wise

Doesn't he mix Monkey Man and Mannish Boy into that scene, possibly other tunes? The coke paranoia is palpable.

Lots of great choices already mentioned.  The scene that stays with me is the scene out of Taxi Driver when Travis is watching an episode of American Bandstand and they show kids slow dancing to Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" -- a song that would never, ever have been played on American Bandstand.  The look on De Niro's face as he's watching others slow-dancing on television is pretty powerful.    

Lots of great choices already mentioned.  The scene that stays with me is the scene out of Taxi Driver when Travis is watching an episode of American Bandstand and they show kids slow dancing to Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" -- a song that would never, ever have been played on American Bandstand.  The look on De Niro's face as he's watching others slow-dancing on television is pretty powerful.    

Can 'o corn.

maybe not the best, but i got a bit of a charge hearing both The Melvins and Sleep in the strip club scene of True Detective (season 1).

I had a similar reaction to that show's use of Grinderman's "Honey Bee (Let's Fly to Mars)" during the closing credits of the episode where Russ escaped the housing project in Beaumont, TX.