Best use of music in a TV or film scene

Monkey Man-Goodfellas

There are so many great examples from Goodfellas:

He's Sure the Boy I Love to Atlantis:

My favorite is the May 11, 1980 cocaine-frenzy montage (I couldn't find a good copy on youtube) that goes between Jump into the Fire, to Memo from Turner, to Magic Bus, to Monkey Man, to What is Life, to Mannish Boy back to Jump into the Fire.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call on Dazed, Winston. That's one of my favorite music-in-film moments, too. I remember watching that in the theater and being instantly mesmerized by Linklater's rhythm.

Lonely Boy" from Boogie Nights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uri-4O29S0w

hell, most of the music in that film {Mama Told me not to Come, fooled Around and Fell in Love)

Also, love the music from Magnolia - big fan of PTA and Brion collaborations.

Special mention for Beck from  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Everybodys Gotta Learn Sometime?)

Soylent Green Beethoven's 6th The Pastoral

This reminded me of another great use of music:  all the horrific scenes in A Clockwork Orange set to Classical pieces such as "Symphony No. 9," "William Tell Overture," and "Pomp and Circumstance," not to mention Gene Kelly's "Singin' in the Rain."

Harry Nilsson-"Jump Into The Fire" from Goodfellas when Henry is cooking dinner, Michael is being reminded to stir the sauce, helicopters are hovering and Henry is coked out of his brain. Excellent stuff.... I've always thought Goodfellas was really well done soundtrack wise

Can't figure out how to copy/paste a video without a link, but from one of my favorite movies, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid: The scene of Slim Pickens dying while his wife weeps and "Knocking on heaven's Door" plays....

That scene and movie made an impression on me. A few few yrs after it came out. I saw it and bought the soundtrack. Was Dylan actually in the movie Its so long ago. But I seem to recall him in it, or a bit part in an early 70s Western.

That scene and movie made an impression on me. A few few yrs after it came out. I saw it and bought the soundtrack. Was Dylan actually in the movie Its so long ago. But I seem to recall him in it, or a bit part in an early 70s Western.

Yeah, he had a small, secondary (probably more tertiary, but he does stand out and has some lines) role as Alias (good shot with a knife!) who helps out Billy. He has a few scenes.

I love the soundtrack, too. 

Here's some visuals (along with some text on his involvement with the film) to help spark the neurons:

http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/bob-dylan-western/