Wilco — 24 September 2017, Tulsa, OK (Brady Theater)

The venue might have been different than the one it usually plays, but once again Wilco delivered a barnburner of a show in a city that has become known for celebrating folk icon Woody Guthrie. With the exception of one show in its earliest days, Wilco (along with Jeff solo and the Tweedy band) has only ever performed at one venue in Tulsa: Cain's Ballroom. So moving down the street to the Brady Theater this time took some getting used to, but once the band settled into its set, it seemed to make itself right at home.

The Brady is itself a venerable old room that dates back to 1914 with a horseshoe-shaped balcony and seats on the back half of the floor (that Jeff later remarked probably weren't worth much, since at least for this show, there was a general admission standing area in front of them). The capacity is apparently around 2,800, but it seemed like it was maybe 3/4 full. Still a healthy crowd for a Sunday night, and as has been the trend thus far on this final tour for some time, Wilco changed up its set a bit more than it has at other points this year.

Of course, it was only natural that Guthrie would be a running theme throughout the show and it's always a highlight when mustachioed bass/guitar/keyboard tech Josh strips off his top, picks up a cowbell and prances around the stage like only he can on the show-closing Hoodoo Voodoo. It's a sight you can only fully appreciate live, seeing how the band members, his fellow Wilcrew and the audience collectively respond to his unique energy. :banana

It was, perhaps, the perfect manifestation of another theme of the show — namely, unity. "We're all in it together," Jeff said at one point. "Don't forget that everybody, please. I want everybody to succeed...except Glenn." When Glenn shot him a bemused look, Jeff continued, "He's so good looking. It's not fair for him not to have a setback or two." :lol

All joking aside, Jeff did connect Guthrie with the current controversy over players on sports teams kneeling during the national anthem as a form of protest in his most significant visit to Banter Corner. Relatively early in the show, Jeff introducing One By One by saying that the band had a lot of songs to play from a lot of different places and that OBO was written by a guy from around here. Jeff continued, "It doesn't get more American than Woody Guthrie. Are you guys proud of Woody? He wouldn't have been afraid to take a knee. He took a knee his whole life, and we're better off for it." :usa

With that message delivered, it was on with the rest of the show. And what an enjoyable show it was, especially thanks to the person whom Jeff accused of stuffing the proverbial ballot box by requesting Summerteeth deep cut When You Wake Up Feeling Old 33 times through the band's Web site. "Somebody amongst you gamed the system," Jeff mock scolded. "Let me see the 33 (people who voted for this)." :ninja

The first encore also provided some amusing and/or interesting moments, like when Jeff said before Jesus, etc., that he was curious how much better the Tulsa crowd could sing along than Kansas City. Then Jeff called himself out for being divisive and how he wanted everyone to sing along or something like that, "but if you have something against Kansas City, sing with some extra gusto." Then came a surprising Hate It Here, on which Jeff proceeded to flub a couple lyrics — though maybe only a few people noticed — by transposing "I'll check the mail" and "I'll check the phone". Ditto "shirts to fold" and "lawn to mow." And once again, the band played Monday without the count-in (which I have to say kind of doesn't feel right to me).

Of some note to gear nerds, Jeff also played a couple of different Rickenbackers that I don't necessarily recall being used all that often — definitely not a well-worn dark green one that he played on Box Full Of Letters. He also played a golden-colored model on The Late Greats.

Anyway, it's hard to believe that it had been more than six years since the last Wilco show in Tulsa (Tweedy, the band, played here in 2014). Here's hoping that it's not nearly as long until the next time. But with a 29-song set that ran the gamut from new to old, plaintive to celebratory, serious to goofy, the band gave Oklahomans a healthy amount to help tide them over. It was a performance that, I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say, would probably have made Guthrie proud.

Here was the complete setlist, as played (I'm pretty sure there were no changes/omissions from the printed list):

You Are My Face

If I Ever Was A Child

Cry All Day

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart>

Art Of Almost

Pickled Ginger

At Least That's What You Said

Passenger Side

One By One

Someone To Lose

Pot Kettle Black

Via Chicago

Bull Black Nova (acoustic/electric hybrid arrangement)

Reservations

Impossible Germany

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

Forget The Flowers

Box Full Of Letters

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

The Late Greats

----------------------------

Random Name Generator

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

-----------------------------

California Stars

Hoodoo Voodoo (with bass/guitar/keyboard tech Josh on cowbell)

And what an enjoyable show it was, especially thanks to the person whom Jeff accused of stuffing the proverbial ballot box by requesting Summerteeth deep cut When You Wake Up Feeling Old 33 times through the band's Web site. "Somebody amongst you gamed the system," Jeff mock scolded. "Let me see the 33 (people who voted for this)." :ninja

Wow, can you imagine such a thing?  Tsk, tsk...

Last time I heard that song live was on my 50th birthday (which happened to coincide with Stan's >50th birthday), and they sang it in honor of that.  Jeff introduced it by saying it was one of their "edgy" songs.  It's a real treat!!

Has Jeff played acoustic on precious Scmilco tour versions of Pot Kettle? Sounded great to my ears.

Great show. Great venue too

Sorry I missed you. Didn't know you were planning to be there. Re: PKB, I think you're right. He doesn't usually play acoustic on that. I remember thinking that something was different, but then I got excited to hear the song so I forgot about it. Thanks for noting it.

With that message delivered, it was on with the rest of the show. And what an enjoyable show it was, especially thanks to the person whom Jeff accused of stuffing the proverbial ballot box by requesting Summerteeth deep cut When You Wake Up Feeling Old 33 times through the band's Web site. "Somebody amongst you gamed the system," Jeff mock scolded. "Let me see the 33 (people who voted for this)." :ninja

I'm surprised Jeff did not make a similar comment when I fervently requested Let's Not Get Carried Away so many times. Needless to say, I do feel bad as after I did this, Wilco took down the "request a song" button for nearly a year...

On PKB Jeff used the red sunburst type acoustic with flowery pickguard. That us the one he has used for that song most every time I have seen the song the last couple of years.

Gotcha! Thanks. I hadn't remembered/noticed at prior shows.

Paul, I love your reviews but I have one complaint: you always forget to tell if Glenn stood up in ITMWLY or not! That's very important  :lol

Oh, he was up. They have the lights set up for it and everything!

I thought the show was great. Great setlist too. I was surprised by the lack of people there. Except for the donk standing in front of me. He kept swaying side to side like he was in windshield wiper mode totally messing with my line of sight. He was with a date, but he was checking out his Tinder acct with her standing in front of him.