my favorite music photos of 2018

i shot a bit less this year as compared to previous years, but still covered a lot of ground... 55 shows and four festivals, in five different countries. plus, i went to a few shows without my camera (John Cale, Liz Phair, Pearl Jam, and I am likely forgetting one or two others). i think most people know i do this because i love to and not because i'm trying to reach any finite goals, but i did tick off a couple of them this year. First, i got to go out on tour with a band, if only for three shows. but those shows were amazing and it was really an incredible experience. i'm grateful to Al, Jason, Matt and Damon for making this happen. It came at a time when i really needed something like this. secondly, although it didn't happen while i was on tour in Europe but i finally did get about 45 seconds with the band to do a very quick shoot at muddy roots, yielding a photo they are now using for press. thirdly, and most importantly, i got to see some really good shows with my son otis. i'm glad our tastes overlap to the extent they do, and i am happy to have him as a gig partner for any show.

I went through all of my online galleries to pull out ones that i liked the best... there wasn't any rhyme or reason to this. I didn't select one from each band, and tried to limit to just a single photo but sometimes this wasn't possible. so yeah, sue me for my self-indulgence. here's a baker's dozen (+1, natch) (only four, due to VC photo embedding restrictions) of my favorites, with a link to the entire collection if you wanna browse through 100+ photos any time soon.

Best of 2018

Kids - Muddy Roots, Cookeville TN
p3251989815-5.jpg

Garth Hudson - Huichica East, Pine Plains NY
p3039313529-5.jpg

Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters - Fenway Park
p2984411908-5.jpg

Will Oldham (aka Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) - The Wilbur
p2918656984-5.jpg

Awesome shots. I wish they had the performer(s) names with them, though. I recognized only a handful (Bono, King Buzzo, Kelly Deal, Neil Young, etc.). You've got a great eye/talent and a pretty sweet gig.

Awesome shots. I wish they had the performer(s) names with them, though. I recognized only a handful (Bono, King Buzzo, Kelly Deal, Neil Young, etc.). You've got a great eye/talent and a pretty sweet gig.

+1.  Fantastic photos.  Question for you.  What kind of ear plugs do you wear?  My bother sent me a pair of Earpeace plugs that I've been using since December. It took a couple of shows to get used to, but I appreciate being able to hear the day after the show. 

I see on the year photos link there are artist(s) names w/ the pics.....;)

I see on the year photos link there are artist(s) names w/ the pics..... ;)

try it now... it should show captions in grid view, though not slideshow view.

+1.  Fantastic photos.  Question for you.  What kind of ear plugs do you wear?  My bother sent me a pair of Earpeace plugs that I've been using since December. It took a couple of shows to get used to, but I appreciate being able to hear the day after the show. 

thanks! i use Etymotic ER-20s. pretty comfy and not very expensive.

Awesome photos Tim. I was talking with my 29 year old son about Sleep. He’s seen them 2x (once in a small club in Austin the year Levitation was cancelled because of floods) and freaking loves their shows. Didn’t you see them in Iceland, or on some frozen island in Scandinavia? I have some vague memory of that and was looking for your photos from that show. Did that happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i did see them in Iceland, in a tiny club after ATP finally went tits up. the light sucked and it was jammed so i didn't take many photos.

https://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/p37021402

i did go on tour w/ the band for 3 dates in Scandinavia this year, and that was an incredibly great time. the Copenhagen show in particular was amazing and i got a bunch of my favorite photos i've ever taken of the band,

https://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/p994700641

i am not sure if you know or not, but Matt Pike's been battling some severe diabetes-related feet issues. he had to have a small part of one toe removed last Fall, and now he's in danger of more damage. it really bums me out and i hope he doesn't lose a toe or a foot. 

• 1 month later...

Still sort of a bit of an amateur but I've been shooting with a Canon 5D since the late summer and I'm really loving it and got some decent shots towards the end of the year

These two are from a Manchester Orchestra show in Asbury Park 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160694550@N02/40193419923/in/album-72157676670664647/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160694550@N02/47158312251/in/album-72157676670664647/

This one is of my buddy Ian who plays in a local band Murcielago. Def worth your time! 

-https://www.flickr.com/photos/160694550@N02/46434744324/in/album-72157676670664647/