Most new vinyl is garbage

Hey gang, I'm being a little hyperbolic to inspire discussion, but I'm starting to think the standards for pressing records have gone down.

Several brand new records I've purchased (including one by Wilco), all on bigger indie labels have pretty poor audio quality compared to the cd, or download. Lots of distortion and muffling. The range of clarity depending on the track is pretty huge. Any LPs outer grooves will sound a little better than the inner ones, but a half dozen records I've bought over the last year or so sound like there's lint on the needle. I started to think my turntable, or cartridge was junk.

Then I thrown on something pressed in the 60's, 70's or 80's, most of which was bought secondhand and is in a very beat up jacket, and it sounds great.

Any other vinyl collectors noticing this discrepancy in pressing quality?

Bad pressings existed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. A lot of US pressings, especially all the Columbia club records, are bad. That's why German and Japanese pressings were so sought after back in the day. Conversely, a lot of pressings today are great. It's like the old black vs colour debate, you're going to find good and bad examples for both.

I have the pink copy of Ode to Joy and it sounds great on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. ‍In fact, the only bad Wilco pressing I ever got was the original orange copy Kung Fu shipped, but they repressed it with the far superior second pressing.

Yeah my Ode to Joy has a few tracks that are totally undermined by the pressing quality. That and the latest Andrew Bird... a few others I can't think of. Bad vinyl has such a distinct sound, it pretty much just sounds like there's lint on the needle when there isn't.

I think I've read that the colored vinyl's are more likely to sound less than stellar. There's lots of discussions about this (and everything music and audio related over on the Hoffman forum. 

i had heard that of the color variants, white is supposedly the worst re: surface noise, and at least anecdotally i found that to be true. I've got a Warpaint record that's half white and half black, and you can hear the difference as the cartridge moves from zone to zone. 

i had heard that of the color variants, white is supposedly the worst re: surface noise, and at least anecdotally i found that to be true. I've got a Warpaint record that's half white and half black, and you can hear the difference as the cartridge moves from zone to zone.

But it sure does look purty...B)

I think I've read that the colored vinyl's are more likely to sound less than stellar. There's lots of discussions about this (and everything music and audio related over on the Hoffman forum. 

I find translucent colors to be consistently worse than solid colors.  The clear ones often have a fizzy sound, almost like the needle is scraping its way through the grooves.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised the vinyl pressing process (from laquer to record pressing) hasn't been modernized at any point with the advent of technology like 3D printing, best case scenario maybe this will force some techniques (without, you know, ruining the sound!!), especially since so much of the equipment involved with making records is very old and simply being maintained now. It'll be a few months before us consumers feel the affects of this but hopefully the industry bounces back quickly. This could hurt labels, stores, and bands... especially bands like Wilco who have a dedicated base buying vinyl.