This should have been a great time for catching up on reading (what with quarantine and all), but somehow a lot of my reading time went into trying like hell to comprehend our political drama. I've been longing for months to relax enough to immerse myself in a good book. Have any of you read the old Newbery Award winner, "The Twenty-one Balloons"? It was a favorite book of mine at about 12, and I've always wanted to reread it....Balloon explorer sets off in a giant balloon from San Francisco, meets disaster just off the coast of Krakatoa, which is supposedly uninhabited but turns out to have a secretive population who have a wonderful life due to the massive diamond mines there. Pure escapist fantasy, and so well and cleverly written!

Of course Krakatoa had its problems. :omg

What are you all reading? Once I'm finished with this, I have some terrific books the kids got me at Christmas. Boy am I sick of political analysis. I need something a heck of a lot wittier.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, kidsmoke said:

My Want-to-Read list is swelling again! :)

There's a signifiant chance that someone will discover me dead beneath a ginormous pile of books some day. Death by books doesn't seem like a bad way to go.  

5 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

There's a signifiant chance that someone will discover me dead beneath a ginormous pile of books some day. Death by books doesn't seem like a bad way to go.  

There are worse ways to go! :spider3

Has anybody here read "Beautiful Ruins"? I'm just starting it, and already I can tell I'm going to love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...