This should have been a great time for catching up on reading (what with quarantine and all), but somehow a lot of my reading time went into trying like hell to comprehend our political drama. I've been longing for months to relax enough to immerse myself in a good book. Have any of you read the old Newbery Award winner, "The Twenty-one Balloons"? It was a favorite book of mine at about 12, and I've always wanted to reread it....Balloon explorer sets off in a giant balloon from San Francisco, meets disaster just off the coast of Krakatoa, which is supposedly uninhabited but turns out to have a secretive population who have a wonderful life due to the massive diamond mines there. Pure escapist fantasy, and so well and cleverly written!

Of course Krakatoa had its problems. :omg

What are you all reading? Once I'm finished with this, I have some terrific books the kids got me at Christmas. Boy am I sick of political analysis. I need something a heck of a lot wittier.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, kidsmoke said:

My Want-to-Read list is swelling again! :)

There's a signifiant chance that someone will discover me dead beneath a ginormous pile of books some day. Death by books doesn't seem like a bad way to go.  

5 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

There's a signifiant chance that someone will discover me dead beneath a ginormous pile of books some day. Death by books doesn't seem like a bad way to go.  

There are worse ways to go! :spider3

Has anybody here read "Beautiful Ruins"? I'm just starting it, and already I can tell I'm going to love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Chez said:

51Euyw3Fc0L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

I need to read this, then pass it on to my sister in SF who idolizes him! He's a fascinating guy.

3 hours ago, Oil Can Boyd said:

41FBvt7-FRL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

How is this?  I'd love to read it.

14 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

I need to read this, then pass it on to my sister in SF who idolizes him! He's a fascinating guy.

How is this?  I'd love to read it.

Empire of Pain is very well done.  It's got a lot of great reporting and I think Keefe is a really good writer.  But it's an infuriating story because the Sacklers' goal was to game the system and make huge amounts of money - which they did.  

(As an aside, Keefe's podcast - Wind of Change - is great too.  It's an investigation into whether the CIA wrote the Scorpions' song Wind of Change.)

I’m looking forward to reading this for some more background on Cliff Booth, but I’d really prefer the rumored 4 hour extended cut which might hit a streaming service at some point. It’s extremely cool that Tarantino wrote this. 

I’m just old enough to remember these novelizations. I had a few of them for some 80s films. 

ACAB065B-D153-4FC8-A754-DB2B49A90D55.jpeg

On 6/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, Analogman said:

I have some for a show called Earth 2 (1994-1995).

That’s cool! I’ve heard of that show, but never watched it. I believe it was on around the same time as Sea Quest DSV, right?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Przybylinski said:

I'm currently reading this - I think comes out in the US in November but I grabbed a signed copy from Waterstone in the UK

2100000273829.jpg

Let us know how this is. He must have some great stories!