I hear ya. I probably don't spend as much time listening to music but a lot of that could be from not having a commute to work anymore. When I do listen to music, I think my habits have changed,  at least a bit, it's less about hearing great new albums and more about those old comforting albums that I know and love. I suspect that's probably from the uncertainty in the world. 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, TCP said:

I hear ya. I probably don't spend as much time listening to music but a lot of that could be from not having a commute to work anymore. When I do listen to music, I think my habits have changed,  at least a bit, it's less about hearing great new albums and more about those old comforting albums that I know and love. I suspect that's probably from the uncertainty in the world. 🤷‍♂️

Right! If I hear music it’s just songs and albums that mean something to me or were special in a certain situation. 
i just hope we all can experience special situations again soon. 

It's not just you. I have felt the same for months. It's a bit of an effort, to put music on...which is weird and ridiculous, because once I do, my mood is always lifted. 

I'm also finding that I'm currently drawn to more introspective, "quieter" music. It feels like I'm mentally holding back the more boisterous stuff for happier days. The new administration gives me hope that we are headed back in the right direction, but we aren't out of dark times yet. So certain music seems to suit better. Jeff solo, David Berman, Kevin Morby...

Have your listening habits changed in this last year?

Listening and making music is literally the only thing that has seemed relatively normal during the pandemic. Making music at the very least gives me something to focus on besides the pandemic. I've lost interest in a lot of other things that I love like reading, cooking, gaming with my friends, and puzzling/playing cards with my wife. My job can be pretty punishing with the sheer amount of time in front of a screen (I'm a teacher and my district has no interest in improving remote learning conditions for their teachers and students) and I get constant migraines due to it.

Reading was always my greatest joy in life, and I've had a very hard time reading anything at all for the past year.  I'm considering this just a year out of time, we'll all adjust (or not) eventually, and learn how to live in the new normal.

On 2/16/2021 at 7:52 AM, kidsmoke said:

It's not just you. I have felt the same for months. It's a bit of an effort, to put music on...which is weird and ridiculous, because once I do, my mood is always lifted. 

I'm also finding that I'm currently drawn to more introspective, "quieter" music. It feels like I'm mentally holding back the more boisterous stuff for happier days. The new administration gives me hope that we are headed back in the right direction, but we aren't out of dark times yet. So certain music seems to suit better. Jeff solo, David Berman, Kevin Morby...

Yes! They did change a lot. If I listen at all it’s mostly music that I was happy to hear live, or with special people in my life. 
Like Trampled by Turtles playing a Warren Zevon song. I was at their show in Brooklyn with S. and he told me about Warren Zevon and about this special song. It’s “Keep me in your heart for a while”. 
I listen to this song when I need to go back to this evening.... 

or certain Wilco songs...

21 hours ago, gogo said:

Reading was always my greatest joy in life, and I've had a very hard time reading anything at all for the past year.  I'm considering this just a year out of time, we'll all adjust (or not) eventually, and learn how to live in the new normal.

I did it all.,

Reading, knitting, crocheting, talking walks. Just to occupy my mind. 

Most of the year we were not allowed to open our business. It’s hard to adjust to any situation when you struggle to pay rent. 

I was just thinking the same thing.  For years I have taken a walk or two a day (as part of my commute or just to get out) and listened to music.  These days I mostly listen to podcasts when I walk.  Early in the pandemic I was also using my home computer which has tons of music on it but now I'm using a work computer which doesn't.  

On 2/16/2021 at 1:52 AM, kidsmoke said:

A little. 

I'm WFH a lot now, so I don't have the commute where I could always get through about 1 album round trip off of the CarPod (iPod in my car... cute, right??).  But now in my home office, I can put on music pretty much all day so I've had to do things like build long playlists (entire catalogs, etc) or rely on Spotify daily mixes or other collections.  So that's been kinda nice, but I don't do as much intentional listening as I used to.  It's more background.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, cherryghost1968 said:

I did it all.,

Reading, knitting, crocheting, talking walks. Just to occupy my mind. 

Most of the year we were not allowed to open our business. It’s hard to adjust to any situation when you struggle to pay rent. 

Sorry, that was thoughtlessly phrased on my part.  I was referring more to an adjustment in the ways we listen to music, take pleasure in reading, etc.  I realize that many people are struggling with much more fundamental issues, and I'm very sorry about your current circumstances.  

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps tuning into another city's local broadcast online occasionally can break the monotony. Chicago's 93 WXRT's Saturday Morning Flashback is great from 9am til noon. It reviews music, movies, current events and often  followed by Johnny Mars at NOON... :)     Also, Terri Hemmert's  Breakfast with the Beatles is always nice for a Sunday Morning. There's a lot of light looking to break out!..    radio.com can take you to any worthwhile radio.